• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Duffy out for Season!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would the Giants do if we saw this headline come up this year?

The Giants have NOTHING in the wings to handle this situation. If Posey goes down, we have tz's boyfriend. If Herk goes down, we have Mac/Parker. If Crawford goes down, we have Tomlinson. But what if Duffy goes down? Adrianza? Shift Crawford over? Arroyo? Make Mays happy?

Maybe the Giants still have one more hole to fill this off-season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First -- I hate you for the headline. Not what I needed on a lazy Sunday morning.
Second -- I think I read a while ago that they were talking to Uribe.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First -- I hate you for the headline. Not what I needed on a lazy Sunday morning.
Second -- I think I read a while ago that they were talking to Uribe.
Is Uribe a FA?

Would he take a util role? I thought he was rather adamant about playing time, regardless where.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually I pride myself in being able to think out of the box, but gol-lee, I sure am stumped on this one.

:whistle:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford had 115 innings at 3B in 2009 in the Fall League. Somebody in management was thinking about it.

Kelby and ARay have traces of 3B in their minor league experience.

I know he wanted to play OF, but that would have been reason #87 that signing Zobrist would have been nice.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford had 115 innings at 3B in 2009 in the Fall League. Somebody in management was thinking about it.

Kelby and ARay have traces of 3B in their minor league experience.
I have discussed Crawford as a 3B quite a bit in the past. He certainly has the arm for it. But 3B is completely different than SS. SS requires range over quickness and potentially a stronger arm because of the hole-throw. 3B, conversely, requires cat-like reflexes and relatively little range. The throw is consistently longer, but also is basically always the same. Is Crawfords arm wasted at 3B?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I am AOK with playing EA at third 6 games a month or so. But having him fill in for a month or longer? Ouch, babe.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2009, Crawford was still a fringey prospect. Not the best SS in the game.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have discussed Crawford as a 3B quite a bit in the past. He certainly has the arm for it. But 3B is completely different than SS. SS requires range over quickness and potentially a stronger arm because of the hole-throw. 3B, conversely, requires cat-like reflexes and relatively little range. The throw is consistently longer, but also is basically always the same. Is Crawfords arm wasted at 3B?
Possibly true, but I prefer to think of it as follows:

It's freaking BASEBALL. This is not brain surgery vs thoracic surgery. The ball is hit, it bounces a few times, you catch it and throw it to first. If you can play Gold Glove SS, you sure as poop should be able to play 3B half-assed well.

I always admired Uribe for this. I will never forget after we got him from the WSox, what Ozzie Guillen said about him (paraphrasing): "If you play him at 2B, he will be your best 2B. If you play him at SS, he will be your best SS. If you play him at 3B, he will be your best 3B."

The game is just not that complicated.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Possibly true, but I prefer to think of it as follows:

It's freaking BASEBALL. This is not brain surgery vs thoracic surgery. The ball is hit, it bounces a few times, you catch it and throw it to first. If you can play Gold Glove SS, you sure as poop should be able to play 3B half-assed well.

I always admired Uribe for this. I will never forget after we got him from the WSox, what Ozzie Guillen said about him (paraphrasing): "If you play him at 2B, he will be your best 2B. If you play him at SS, he will be your best SS. If you play him at 3B, he will be your best 3B."

The game is just not that complicated.

That is a nice quote, but it doesn't make it true. The different positions require different skill sets that make it tough to be the best at all the positions. Uribe might have been able to field everything hit at him at short stop, but he isn't getting to balls that require a lot of range.

It is baseball at the end of the day. Crawford could play 3B half-assed well, but why would you want him to? Why not keep the Gold Glove ss at ss, and have someone else play 3B?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a nice quote, but it doesn't make it true. The different positions require different skill sets that make it tough to be the best at all the positions. Uribe might have been able to field everything hit at him at short stop, but he isn't getting to balls that require a lot of range.

It is baseball at the end of the day. Crawford could play 3B half-assed well, but why would you want him to? Why not keep the Gold Glove ss at ss, and have someone else play 3B?
That's the problem, though. Who is, "someone else"? Tomlinson does not have the arm for 3B. Neither does Panik. EA does, but he has no bat. Maybe the former A's farm hand, Green? I know nothing about him. What is Blanks history at 3B? Does he has a history there?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem, though. Who is, "someone else"? Tomlinson does not have the arm for 3B. Neither does Panik. EA does, but he has no bat. Maybe the former A's farm hand, Green? I know nothing about him. What is Blanks history at 3B? Does he has a history there?
Consider this write up on Green from Baseball America (when he was the #1 prospect for the A's in 2010):
If he has to change positions, he probably has to go to second base because he wouldn't have the arm strength for third base either.

He's played 31 games in the minors at third base (only 1 in 2015) and 5 in the big leagues with the Angels in 2014. I doubt he would be better now than he was then.

As for Blanks, he's played only 1st base, left field and right field as a professional. Similar write ups from Baseball America, when he was a Padres' prospect, about his defense being adequate at 1st base but having the athleticism to maybe play right field.

Looking at who the Giants currently have in the upper minors, I have no idea who is going to play 3rd base at triple A! They could move Mitchell Delfino up but his bat didn't look that good at Richmond. Maybe if Adrianza gets through waivers (if the Giants choose not to carry him come Opening Day), he may play there. My guess is there is some minor league free agent the Giants may sign. Regardless who plays there, the Giants don't have much insurance for Duffy if he goes down.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would the Giants do if we saw this headline come up this year?

The Giants have NOTHING in the wings to handle this situation. If Posey goes down, we have tz's boyfriend. If Herk goes down, we have Mac/Parker. If Crawford goes down, we have Tomlinson. But what if Duffy goes down? Adrianza? Shift Crawford over? Arroyo? Make Mays happy?

Maybe the Giants still have one more hole to fill this off-season.

You are a dirty bastard for that headline...I almost had a stroke.