• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m surprised no one started this thread. So what’s the consensus on the 1st pick? I haven’t been keeping up with the draft so I don’t anything about Jaire Alexander. Good pick? Not so much?

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t really know anything about him. I like that we got a position of need and stole a 2019 1st from the Saints in the process

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned Jaire weeks ago as a guy I liked but at the top of the second. He had been climbing up boards so I can’t conplain. We got a fast CB, a 2019 1st and a 2018 7th for our 2018 3rd and 2018 5th. I’m very happy with the haul

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch any of the draft and only read about things this morning. I'm good with the guy they got and it's fantastic the way they fleeced the Saints. But that's a long time to wait to get another 1st rounder considering Rodgers is 35 years old. I'd rather have received a high pick this year.

Also, the Packers have spent too many high picks on secondary guys when they've needed an impact LB. Matthews isn't getting any younger. There's still need at WR, TE, and OL. They'll need to hit on some picks in the later rounds to address everything.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what ive read so far, Alexander was a good pick for GB. Below is a list of his strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths
  • Athletic and tough
  • Came back for last three games of the season despite missing multiple games due to sprained knee and a broken hand
  • Eyes stay on quarterback when he's able
  • Aware and instinctive
  • Spots traffic from zone and squeezes passing lanes
  • Carries playmaking traits
  • Quick response time when quarterback begins release
  • Smooth mover with plus acceleration to chase
  • Feet are light and sudden
  • Crowds and mirror receiver's release without panicking
  • Stays connected to routes
  • Pattern reader capable of sudden stops to mirror comeback routes
  • Aggressive attacking catch point
  • Climbs on top of receivers and rips arms through potential catches
  • Has decent recovery burst on the deep ball
  • Communicative with teammates
Weaknesses
  • Gangly frame unlikely to carry much more good weight
  • Injuries and missed time make 2017 tape tricky to evaluate
  • Avoided excess contact with blockers and appeared to lack his typical brand of aggressiveness
  • Needs to play with better knee bend from press
  • Read routes and created opportunities to attack throws but defaulted to the safe play
  • Can get grabby in man coverage
  • Allows base widen and loses balance during transitions from time to time
  • Gave up too many redzone touchdowns in 2016
  • Inconsistent getting head around in time to find the football
  • Inconsistent finisher as tackler and may struggle to get off of NFL blocks

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch any of the draft and only read about things this morning. I'm good with the guy they got and it's fantastic the way they fleeced the Saints. But that's a long time to wait to get another 1st rounder considering Rodgers is 35 years old. I'd rather have received a high pick this year.

Also, the Packers have spent too many high picks on secondary guys when they've needed an impact LB. Matthews isn't getting any younger. There's still need at WR, TE, and OL. They'll need to hit on some picks in the later rounds to address everything

I agree. Rodgers clock is ticking and they need blue chip players now so they can make a legitimate run at one more title before he rides off in the sunset. We will see how this Alexander kid pans out when the season starts but a negative against him is his injury history. I hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the ass. Gets tiring watching Packer players getting knocked out of a game for a significant amount of time because they are prone to injuries.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weaknesses

• Can get grabby in man coverage

The last time I recall reading about a 1st round CB the Packers took with that problem.....it was a real problem. Carroll seemed to get flagged on every play. And he was a little short of the Ron Wolf standard for CBs as well.

Still hoping for the best, but this seems a little ominous to me.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers select Josh Jackson Cornerback from Iowa in 2nd round (45th overall)

From ESPN

Pre-Draft Analysis
Jackson is a playmaker with above-average ball skills and instincts. He has the strong work ethic to realize his potential. As a one-year starter, however, Jackson is still a work in progress and will need to make strides with his technique in order to pay dividends.

Post-Draft Analysis
Double down at cornerback? Why not? The Packers allowed an NFL-high 21 passing touchdowns and an NFL-high 88 Total QBR on passes to wide receivers last season. After drafting Jaire Alexander in Round 1, the Packers land a corner most thought would also go on Day 1 with Jackson, who brings length and tremendous ball-hawking skills to the Green Bay secondary. -- Chris Sprow

Grimm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time I recall reading about a 1st round CB the Packers took with that problem.....it was a real problem. Carroll seemed to get flagged on every play. And he was a little short of the Ron Wolf standard for CBs as well.

Still hoping for the best, but this seems a little ominous to me.

That may be true, but his rookie year was the year the NFL put a big emphasis on CB holding and PI. After a few games he was under extra scrutiny by the ref and media (fans too).

I hope that This kid will be alright

Grimm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I like the picks, not every position answered, I still see need at Tackle and Edge, but with luck maybe some guys on the team will improve and fill those voids.