• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft results discussion

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Round 1: Vic Beasley OLB
Round 2: Jalen Collins DB
Round 3: Tevin Coleman RB
Round 4: Justin Hardy WR
Round 5: Grady Jarrett NT
Round 6: Traded
Round 7: Jake Rodgers OT
Round 7: Akeem King DB

The main pick I'm not very high on is Coleman. He seems small for having the reputation of being a bruiser.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Round 1: Vic Beasley OLB
Round 2: Jalen Collins DB
Round 3: Tevin Coleman RB
Round 4: Justin Hardy WR
Round 5: Grady Jarrett NT
Round 6: Traded
Round 7: Jake Rodgers OT
Round 7: Akeem King DB

The main pick I'm not very high on is Coleman. He seems small for having the reputation of being a bruiser.

1...A...need and BPA met on this one.
2...A-...might not be ready to start for a year, has the physical skills to be a pro bowler
3...C...agree...Ajayai went much later, this kid is explosive...Quinn does not seem like a shotgun formation guy on 3rd n 1 so we'll see how this turns out

4...B...slots are starters today imo and he has a chance to get snaps this year
5...B+...this kid seems to fit the 4-3 DT role well as a 1 gap player
7...C...G was a bigger need but maybe they feel they can shift players
7c..C...I have to applaud the effort to try these big CBs

Overall B+...top need was addressed with a top shelf talent in Beasley, most of these picks are likely to make the team...2 to 4 starters.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1...A...need and BPA met on this one.
2...A-...might not be ready to start for a year, has the physical skills to be a pro bowler
3...C...agree...Ajayai went much later, this kid is explosive...Quinn does not seem like a shotgun formation guy on 3rd n 1 so we'll see how this turns out

4...B...slots are starters today imo and he has a chance to get snaps this year
5...B+...this kid seems to fit the 4-3 DT role well as a 1 gap player
7...C...G was a bigger need but maybe they feel they can shift players
7c..C...I have to applaud the effort to try these big CBs

Overall B+...top need was addressed with a top shelf talent in Beasley, most of these picks are likely to make the team...2 to 4 starters.
Collins kind of lacks experience but I'm hoping he can make an impact after he gets his feet under him.

Coleman, yea, he is explosive. His running style reminds me of Jamaal Charles but hopefully he is less fragile. Most sites are calling him a steal but I'm not especially high on him even if you don't account for our OL issues.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Hardy pick. He has great hands even though he isn't especially fast which is a great thing for a guy who is likely to be playing in the slot. If you watch his highlights he has pulled down some pretty impressive one handed grabs.

I don't know much about Grady Jarrett the player but IIRC correctly he's the son of former Falcons star Jessie Tuggle. Before we even selected him part of his house burned down during the draft when he had 40-50 people and Atlanta gave him a bunch of support. He has to feel like he's at home when he's from Conyers, GA, had support from a team who didn't even have an obligation to him, and finally got selected by that team.

I think Akeem King could be an impact player in a year or two. Add a little size to him and he could be a very rangey safety. He seems like he plays the pass pretty well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins kind of lacks experience but I'm hoping he can make an impact after he gets his feet under him.

Coleman, yea, he is explosive. His running style reminds me of Jamaal Charles but hopefully he is less fragile. Most sites are calling him a steal but I'm not especially high on him even if you don't account for our OL issues.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Hardy pick. He has great hands even though he isn't especially fast which is a great thing for a guy who is likely to be playing in the slot. If you watch his highlights he has pulled down some pretty impressive one handed grabs.

I don't know much about Grady Jarrett the player but IIRC correctly he's the son of former Falcons star Jessie Tuggle. Before we even selected him part of his house burned down during the draft when he had 40-50 people and Atlanta gave him a bunch of support. He has to feel like he's at home when he's from Conyers, GA, had support from a team who didn't even have an obligation to him, and finally got selected by that team.

I think Akeem King could be an impact player in a year or two. Add a little size to him and he could be a very rangey safety. He seems like he plays the pass pretty well.

In DIV...I think ATL won.

NFCS Grades...IMO

NO...B-...got a plug and play OT, shored up the interior LB spot, Stephone will likely start. PJ Williams makes this a strong draft on paper...probably a sub pkg player this year...the reason for the minus...Saints lost the most dangerous OFC weapon in the DIV and didn't replace that level of talent.

TB...C+...It's easy to say that Winston will fail and he probably will, certainly in the short term but he was the better player imo...OL was a big need and they took 2 shots there...lot of tall targets for Winston...if they can block for him, and run it they will win 4 to 6 games but this is still the last place team in '15

CAR...C-...Shaq Thompson is projected to be a OLB...small for a 3 down LB, probably a 3rd guy...seems like they could've gotten more value from the 25th spot. Like the WR pick...gives Cam another tall WR...his miss is high so these guys are welcome sights...the OL big probably will start.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In DIV...I think ATL won.

NFCS Grades...IMO

NO...B-...got a plug and play OT, shored up the interior LB spot, Stephone will likely start. PJ Williams makes this a strong draft on paper...probably a sub pkg player this year...the reason for the minus...Saints lost the most dangerous OFC weapon in the DIV and didn't replace that level of talent.

TB...C+...It's easy to say that Winston will fail and he probably will, certainly in the short term but he was the better player imo...OL was a big need and they took 2 shots there...lot of tall targets for Winston...if they can block for him, and run it they will win 4 to 6 games but this is still the last place team in '15

CAR...C-...Shaq Thompson is projected to be a OLB...small for a 3 down LB, probably a 3rd guy...seems like they could've gotten more value from the 25th spot. Like the WR pick...gives Cam another tall WR...his miss is high so these guys are welcome sights...the OL big probably will start.
It seemed like the first few picks Atlanta took dramatically changed how NO approached the draft. I still don't understand why Carolina traded in front of us to get Funchess though. They didn't need to trade up at all to get him.

If Atlanta could somehow convince La'el Collins to sign with them I think this draft could be the best one the Falcons have had in over a decade.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed like the first few picks Atlanta took dramatically changed how NO approached the draft. I still don't understand why Carolina traded in front of us to get Funchess though. They didn't need to trade up at all to get him.

If Atlanta could somehow convince La'el Collins to sign with them I think this draft could be the best one the Falcons have had in over a decade.

Saints 2nd rd pick was shaky imo...3rd round grade on him...Eric Rowe I thought was the pick for them there to pair up with K. Lewis...if edge rusher was the play...Gregory was there, but I guess 3-4 fit was not good for him.

Agree 100%...that would be ideal, but you have to know the Saints would lie, cheat and steal to keep that from happening.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints 2nd rd pick was shaky imo...3rd round grade on him...Eric Rowe I thought was the pick for them there to pair up with K. Lewis...if edge rusher was the play...Gregory was there, but I guess 3-4 fit was not good for him.

Agree 100%...that would be ideal, but you have to know the Saints would lie, cheat and steal to keep that from happening.
I still think it would be a good spot for him to land. He'd probably be able to start right away and get meaningful playing time before his 3 year rookie contract is up. That being said, a handful of other teams are in that situation as well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it would be a good spot for him to land. He'd probably be able to start right away and get meaningful playing time before his 3 year rookie contract is up. That being said, a handful of other teams are in that situation as well.

Agreed ATL makes a lot of sense to me too...LG is wide open imo, but if he wants to play T...he probably has to beat out Baker which imo he probably can right now. Some clarity on the UDFA contracts...they can re-up after only 2 season whereas a drafted player must play 3 I understand now.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed ATL makes a lot of sense to me too...LG is wide open imo, but if he wants to play T...he probably has to beat out Baker which imo he probably can right now. Some clarity on the UDFA contracts...they can re-up after only 2 season whereas a drafted player must play 3 I understand now.
Either way if he plays well he'll get a nice big contract at the end. The only way he comes out of this situation poorly from a football standpoint is if he suffers a significant injury or he ends up being a complete bust. He'll just lose out on a few million his first couple years. I know some colleges take out insurance policies on potential first round talent. I wonder if LSU did that for him.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI we picked up ex-Titan and all team leading West Point rusher FB Collin Mooney. It looks like we'll probably try to go FB a little more during goal line situations.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way if he plays well he'll get a nice big contract at the end. The only way he comes out of this situation poorly from a football standpoint is if he suffers a significant injury or he ends up being a complete bust. He'll just lose out on a few million his first couple years. I know some colleges take out insurance policies on potential first round talent. I wonder if LSU did that for him.

Agreed...he should land on his feet.

Don't k now if you get the Falcon radio broadcast, but Dave Archer is the p-b-p guy...former Falcon QB...he was on the noon slot on 92.9 today...his thoughts in nutshell on the draft.

Beasley...no brainer...apparently they were surprised to have as many options.

Collins...in the DIV with CAR & TB and those huge WRs...this was a smart pick and he expect the late rd kid to make the PS team at worst.

3rd...his thought was OL there, but company man comments thereafter in terms of his potential.

His general thought about the team (before I got out of the car)after the draft and FA.

OL...still in flux...Hawley expected back to take over C, but LG is a camp battle really and at this point he doesn't know if Matthews is staying LT because Baker has never player RT...camp will decide it and they're hoping for better luck healthwise.

DEF...if the imported FA talent performs they should b a better tackling team...Beasley has to have help and right now that is probably going to be scheme until he sees them in action.

Better but not complete is the jist of it.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...he should land on his feet.

Don't k now if you get the Falcon radio broadcast, but Dave Archer is the p-b-p guy...former Falcon QB...he was on the noon slot on 92.9 today...his thoughts in nutshell on the draft.

Beasley...no brainer...apparently they were surprised to have as many options.

Collins...in the DIV with CAR & TB and those huge WRs...this was a smart pick and he expect the late rd kid to make the PS team at worst.

3rd...his thought was OL there, but company man comments thereafter in terms of his potential.

His general thought about the team (before I got out of the car)after the draft and FA.

OL...still in flux...Hawley expected back to take over C, but LG is a camp battle really and at this point he doesn't know if Matthews is staying LT because Baker has never player RT...camp will decide it and they're hoping for better luck healthwise.

DEF...if the imported FA talent performs they should b a better tackling team...Beasley has to have help and right now that is probably going to be scheme until he sees them in action.

Better but not complete is the jist of it.
Almost all of the broadcasts in Wisconsin are purely Packer related. I try not to listen to talk radio unless I'm on road trips though. I think he's right but it was a tough sell for value considering the spot. There were also a few decent DTs available. It's probably a little nitpicky at this point to hate the position of the pick. I just hope the OL can stay healthy if Quinn is happy with the core we have in place.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost all of the broadcasts in Wisconsin are purely Packer related. I try not to listen to talk radio unless I'm on road trips though. I think he's right but it was a tough sell for value considering the spot. There were also a few decent DTs available. It's probably a little nitpicky at this point to hate the position of the pick. I just hope the OL can stay healthy if Quinn is happy with the core we have in place.

Okay...point is Arch tends to call it like he sees it during the broadcast and in general...not the typical homer radio analyst.

I'm just the opposite...the office has a classic rock station on all day which I like, but in the car it's sportstalk or Ipod mostly.

Every year, every team has a pick that makes you scratch your head.

He feels that Quinn had the final say on the picks...and felt both big corners were clearly his thumbprint. Yeah...you hope that the OL can stay healthy...maybe he just doesn't fit anymore but Blalock is still out there...they have to know he's better than what they have.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was satisfied with our draft. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about our chances of winning the division this year.