• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Draft day!

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! They weren't going to make Andy's life miserable. They selected a nice, non-threatening tiny kid from the MAC so Andy could sleep at night.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rudolph would have been too smart of a pick there for the Bengals. Wouldn’t have happened.

I really liked Rudolph. He will end up starting for someone in the league. He reminds me of Nick Foles, except better feet.

I don’t buy the smokescreen that the Bengals were going to pick him however.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no smoke screen. I just truly believe they were going to take him, and I think Pittsburgh did too, which is why they traded up in front of the Bengals when they had the pick directly behind them. Only traded up 3 slots. Granted, they may have feared someone trading up with the Bengals to attain him, but I think they feared the Bengals drafting him more than anything. I think the Bengals were set to pounce also. A bottom of the 1st, early second round talent QB who slipped to the middle of the 3rd and was the last good prospect on the board and the Bengals having two back to back picks. That would have made it easier to take a QB there knowing they had another pick to get the other player they wanted.

We screwed Pittsburgh on William Jackson III, and they screwed us on Mason Rudolph.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! They weren't going to make Andy's life miserable. They selected a nice, non-threatening tiny kid from the MAC so Andy could sleep at night.

He only got drafted because he can easily sit on the practice squad without getting taken. Drafting Rosen wouldn't have threatened Dalton as management is obviously Dalton's biggest fan. AJ McCarron sat on the bench for 4 years and they never considered letting him compete. Not sure how Rudolph would have been any different other than being a quality backup in case of injury to Dalton who hardly ever gets hurt.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rudolph was a great pick by Pittsburgh. I thought for sure he was going to be the Patriots guy.

But I'll never believe the Bengals were going to take him. Aside from Marvin's goofy statement about the Steelers bugging their draft room, there is nothing to indicate they had any intention. Andy is signed and Marvin wants to make a point. I think he's playing for this season and next.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barkley and Jeff Driskel are still in the mix I believe. The new guy may be released before the season even starts. wasted pick.

I'm hoping Matt Barkley has a coming of age and completely outshines Dalton in the preseason.
It could happen.... a guy can dream.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barkley and Jeff Driskel are still in the mix I believe. The new guy may be released before the season even starts. wasted pick.

I'm hoping Matt Barkley has a coming of age and completely outshines Dalton in the preseason.
It could happen.... a guy can dream.

He is going straight to the practice squad, bank on it. Barkley is shit, no point on dreaming about steaming piles of shit man. Dalton is the guy. Even if Barkley throws for 1000 yards, 9 TD's and 0 INT's in preseason, Dalton will be the starter.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long time since I've been around, but I thought the draft was solid, if unspectacular.

Really wanted the C that went just before the Bengals picked, but I also like Price. It doesn't suck to have the guy who anchored a pretty decent line through a National Championship run. When you factor in the trade netted a starting LT, you picked up 2 starting OL as the most critical positions on this line. That's an A+ no matter which way you slice it. Whether they pan out is a different story, but the strategy was sound.

Not a huge fan of Hubbard. Hope I am wrong. Really liked the LB out of Texas. There were a lot of scouts who believe he will be a better pro than he was a college player, as it didn't look like he fit in with Texas' scheme all that well. I also like the Safety pick, as we need more play-makers in the back end of the defense. This can also allow you to drop one of the safeties down in TE coverage, and adds good depth. In this league, you can't have enough coverage depth with the amount of passing that goes on in the league.

Was shocked at the RB pick, but having watched a lot of Miami football, he is a good RB. He obviously won't be a starter, but if Gio or Mixon get dinged and miss a game, you have to have someone to help shoulder the load. Especially if the injury ends up being a 2-3+ week deal. Not to mention, he is a decent return guy. If you want to upgrade your special teams, you do have to draft some guys with the fact in mind that you are going to use them on special teams more than you are as an actual sub/starter. This is an area where I feel, in the past, the Bengals often ignored in later rounds and hoped to use subs/backups on ST as opposed to finding guys who did this at the college level and excelled.

Overall, I feel like they drafted well, and it was solid, as I said. Not flashy, but of course, as always, time will tell how everything pans out, but considering some of the picks and where they were, and how they moved around, I thought it was good.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long time since I've been around, but I thought the draft was solid, if unspectacular.

Really wanted the C that went just before the Bengals picked, but I also like Price. It doesn't suck to have the guy who anchored a pretty decent line through a National Championship run. When you factor in the trade netted a starting LT, you picked up 2 starting OL as the most critical positions on this line. That's an A+ no matter which way you slice it. Whether they pan out is a different story, but the strategy was sound.

Not a huge fan of Hubbard. Hope I am wrong. Really liked the LB out of Texas. There were a lot of scouts who believe he will be a better pro than he was a college player, as it didn't look like he fit in with Texas' scheme all that well. I also like the Safety pick, as we need more play-makers in the back end of the defense. This can also allow you to drop one of the safeties down in TE coverage, and adds good depth. In this league, you can't have enough coverage depth with the amount of passing that goes on in the league.

Was shocked at the RB pick, but having watched a lot of Miami football, he is a good RB. He obviously won't be a starter, but if Gio or Mixon get dinged and miss a game, you have to have someone to help shoulder the load. Especially if the injury ends up being a 2-3+ week deal. Not to mention, he is a decent return guy. If you want to upgrade your special teams, you do have to draft some guys with the fact in mind that you are going to use them on special teams more than you are as an actual sub/starter. This is an area where I feel, in the past, the Bengals often ignored in later rounds and hoped to use subs/backups on ST as opposed to finding guys who did this at the college level and excelled.

Overall, I feel like they drafted well, and it was solid, as I said. Not flashy, but of course, as always, time will tell how everything pans out, but considering some of the picks and where they were, and how they moved around, I thought it was good.

I think the first two picks will be good players. Certainly a high potential to upgrade positions that haven't always been the best.

The two picks that I think are most interesting are Jefferson (from Texas) and Brown (from Virginia). Both of these guys were major disappointments in college given their outstanding pedigree. And both of them still have incredible measurables. Both Texas and Virginia were programs that had a lot of issues and turnover during their times with the team. It could be that a move to the pro ranks will bring out some of the talent. I wouldn't be shocked if both turned out to bust or if one or the other turned out to be a superstar. High risk, high reward types of picks, imo.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the first two picks will be good players. Certainly a high potential to upgrade positions that haven't always been the best.

The two picks that I think are most interesting are Jefferson (from Texas) and Brown (from Virginia). Both of these guys were major disappointments in college given their outstanding pedigree. And both of them still have incredible measurables. Both Texas and Virginia were programs that had a lot of issues and turnover during their times with the team. It could be that a move to the pro ranks will bring out some of the talent. I wouldn't be shocked if both turned out to bust or if one or the other turned out to be a superstar. High risk, high reward types of picks, imo.

Agreed. The turnover is one of the reasons why I'm hopeful that maybe they will turn out to be better pros than they were college players. As you said, they both certainly have the measurables, and the talent is there. The question is, can the coaches get that talent to translate onto the field.

I don't know what to make of Hubbard. Admittedly, I'm not a huge OSU fan, but I remember thinking when he declared that he would have been much better off returning (he was a JR, if I recall???). For an edge guy, I just didn't see the 'twich' needed to get around as an edge rusher, and other than a nickle/dime rush DT, not sure where he will fit. Again, I could be wrong. He was certainly productive at OSU and they do have a good history of turning out solid defensive players at the NFL level.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The turnover is one of the reasons why I'm hopeful that maybe they will turn out to be better pros than they were college players. As you said, they both certainly have the measurables, and the talent is there. The question is, can the coaches get that talent to translate onto the field.

I don't know what to make of Hubbard. Admittedly, I'm not a huge OSU fan, but I remember thinking when he declared that he would have been much better off returning (he was a JR, if I recall???). For an edge guy, I just didn't see the 'twich' needed to get around as an edge rusher, and other than a nickle/dime rush DT, not sure where he will fit. Again, I could be wrong. He was certainly productive at OSU and they do have a good history of turning out solid defensive players at the NFL level.

Of all the picks we made, Hubbard is honestly the only one I am disappointed in, as I would have liked to have seen Hubbard be Orland Brown, RT. 1st round talent, dropping to 3rd round, in a position we need to clearly improve on. Even if he wouldn't be a starter, depth is a huge thing on a line that was pretty bad with our starters last year. Hubbard should have been Brown. Hopefully Hubbard surprises and exceeds our expectations, but honestly, I think we could have nailed down a starter at RT that could have contributed as early as later this season. I think Hubbard is going to be on the bubble of active/inactive every week until his rookie contract is up where he just goes away in FA. Honestly, that is the only pick I am disappointed in, because I know we could have potentially landed that starter at RT in Brown, instead our 3rd round pick is a roster bubble player.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of all the picks we made, Hubbard is honestly the only one I am disappointed in, as I would have liked to have seen Hubbard be Orland Brown, RT. 1st round talent, dropping to 3rd round, in a position we need to clearly improve on. Even if he wouldn't be a starter, depth is a huge thing on a line that was pretty bad with our starters last year. Hubbard should have been Brown. Hopefully Hubbard surprises and exceeds our expectations, but honestly, I think we could have nailed down a starter at RT that could have contributed as early as later this season. I think Hubbard is going to be on the bubble of active/inactive every week until his rookie contract is up where he just goes away in FA. Honestly, that is the only pick I am disappointed in, because I know we could have potentially landed that starter at RT in Brown, instead our 3rd round pick is a roster bubble player.

Until we don't sign Dunlap after this year and Michael Johnson's wheels officially fall off (if they haven't already).... We'll end up with Jordan Willis, Hubbard, Lawson and probably some journeyman type of DE. Hubbard will be expected to be a key cog on our defense by year 2. Not sure he has it in him.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted Frank Ragnow to be the Bengals C. He was the superior prospect, and you just know he will be an All Pro because he went the pick before. That said, Billy Price should be just fine. Could be a DeCastro/Zeitler situation for us all over again.

As others have said, the Bengals deserve credit for essentially turning one pick into two starters at their biggest holes on the OL. Granted, both Glenn and Price have to be healthy for that to matter...

I would’ve preferred Justin Reid if we went safety, but I can see why they chose Bates. He looked like Reggie Nelson on tape. The kid is a ballhawk. They’ve badly needed a playmaker and turnover maker in the secondary since Reggie left. Kind of thin and wirey, not a great tackler, but can come up and thump you. With Teryl Austin employing a more attacking style on defense, and the league shifting to more 3 safety looks against pass happy offenses, Bates will have a key role in those sub packages as a center fielder.

I loved Hubbard at Ohio State. The kid is all hustle and heart. I don’t know how good of a pro he will be. Strikes me as a sub package rotational guy. I’m sure he’ll find a role.

Jefferson is a boom or bust pick. Living in Texas, that kid was one of the most decorated HS recruits in years. The light just never came on at UT. Coaching and scheme fit were an issue until his junior year, were he switched spots and had a very good season. Talent wise, he’s every bit as good as Roquan Smith and those other 1st round backers. He’s an athletic specimen. But I don’t know how much he loves football. He could just as easily fade into oblivion as he could be a gem.

I love the RB from Miami. Kind of surprised they picked a RB that early, but the kid can absolutely play. You can’t have enough RBs, and Walton will contribute in all phases. Great pass catcher, shifty, and can return kicks.

As far as the rest of the draft, seems like a bunch of fodder. The two DBs have talent, but will be buried on the depth chart. Phillips best bet may be to push Erickson off the roster as a return man. Brown the DE from Virginia seems like the yearly mid round DL hype train that will never be heard from. Woodside is a QB a lot folks were talking about do to his accuracy and poise. No threat to start, but could jump up and grab the backup job. Likely a PS candidate though.

I’d give the Bengals draft a B-. They added talent, but not enough contributors in my opinion.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until we don't sign Dunlap after this year and Michael Johnson's wheels officially fall off (if they haven't already).... We'll end up with Jordan Willis, Hubbard, Lawson and probably some journeyman type of DE. Hubbard will be expected to be a key cog on our defense by year 2. Not sure he has it in him.

We all know this is coming. It’s surprises me how many Bengals fans actually think they’ll re-sign both Geno and Dunlap. It’s like they don’t actually pay attention. Only one is getting paid. It’s gotta be Geno, the guy is the engine for the whole defense. As much as i love Dunlap, and appreciate what he’s done for this squad, I think he’s walking.

Especially with Hobs crying to everyone who will listen about how this offseason’s “FA splurge” has the FO on the verge of food stamps.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know this is coming. It’s surprises me how many Bengals fans actually think they’ll re-sign both Geno and Dunlap. It’s like they don’t actually pay attention. Only one is getting paid. It’s gotta be Geno, the guy is the engine for the whole defense. As much as i love Dunlap, and appreciate what he’s done for this squad, I think he’s walking.

Especially with Hobs crying to everyone who will listen about how this offseason’s “FA splurge” has the FO on the verge of food stamps.

My fear is that this will be the logic of getting neither to the table this summer. The Bengals success in 'keeping their own' is basically only realized by giving contracts a year before they are do. This is how we did Dunlap, Ocho, Green, Atkins, Dalton, Leon Hall, Whit the first few times, Burfict, etc., etc. and its the reason we lost Whit, J-Joe, Marvin, Mo, and Zeitler. It's imperative that they sign one of these guys.

I think they approach both agents and see who blinks. The agent for Atkins would be wise to move quick - It will only take one injury or off year for everyone to believe that Atkins is toast.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the smart money should be on Atkins. He's far more consistent. If you look back over Dunap's career....while he's been good, his sacks/impact seems to come in spurts. A game with 2-3 sacks here, and another game with 2-3 sacks there. At the end of the year the numbers look good, but overall when you break them down on a game by game basis, not really what you would think they should be for an "impact" player.

Love having the dude on the team, but if it's him or Atkins....I'm leaning Atkins to give a contract to.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note: anyone else find it interesting that every other team in the AFC North drafted a QB that will likely be starting in the next couple years? Things are about to look really different in this division.

CLE-Mayfield
BAL-Jackson
PIT-Rudolph (whenever Ben retires)

I think at least two of the three will be pretty good. Makes you wonder how much longer the Brown family can keep trotting Dalton out there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note: anyone else find it interesting that every other team in the AFC North drafted a QB that will likely be starting in the next couple years? Things are about to look really different in this division.

CLE-Mayfield
BAL-Jackson
PIT-Rudolph (whenever Ben retires)

I think at least two of the three will be pretty good. Makes you wonder how much longer the Brown family can keep trotting Dalton out there.

Thing is, 2 of the 3 QB's taken are there to replace very aging veterans. Dalton is not exactly what you call aging.

And dear Lord, how bad has Flacco looked the past 2-3 years? Yikes.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rudolph is probably the best bet. I love Mayfield, but I don't trust Cleveland to develop him correctly before starting over again. I've been back and forth on Jackson. Hard to dispute his numbers, but he did benefit from playing for Bobby Petrino who is an excellent offensive coach and has had many uber-productive qbs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be fairly limited at the next level.