• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Done with the Flexbone

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about you guys, but it's finally official for me. We're not going to get anything more than what we saw last year. And what did we accomplish? A win over Georgia? Yeah, great and all. ACC Coastal winners? Means nothing at this point. Worst conference in the Power 5. Orange bowl over Mississippi State? Good win, but lets be honest with ourselves. We're not big time. Last year was an illusion. I think we know what we're in for with Paul Johnson. 7-6, 8-5, 6-7, 7-6...

Basically, this feels like the Chan Gailey era all over again. We're going to be average at best every year, might have a fluke year here and there where we have a great athlete in the offense. I'm just done. Paul Johnson is a good coach and all, but his philosophy just isn't going to cut it. His contract runs through the 2020 season...Hope you guys are ready for this shit every year for the next 5 years, unless we actually pull our heads out of our ass and get rid of him before that, but it's doubtful. He's brought us good things, but I think we've seen all we're going to see.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's better than the Chan Gailey era. Johnson has beaten UGA twice. We won a major bowl game. But the frustration level is about the same. I can understand the loss to Notre Dame. Getting muscled around on the field by Duke is not acceptable. No matter how "improved" they are. It's like our QB forgot everything from last year. This may be a very long season.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's better than the Chan Gailey era. Johnson has beaten UGA twice. We won a major bowl game. But the frustration level is about the same. I can understand the loss to Notre Dame. Getting muscled around on the field by Duke is not acceptable. No matter how "improved" they are. It's like our QB forgot everything from last year. This may be a very long season.

It has been better than the Chan Gailey era, I agree there. What I mean is I can feel us slipping back into that kind of football. You can't honestly tell me this team is going to win more than 6 or 7 games after watching what Duke did to us today.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real frustration is that after last year's season you'd think that the returning players would, I dunno, want to double down and try harder this year. But it looks like they read their own press hype too much or something.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like GT personally, but I hope the Heels destroy thy anus Saturday.

:2cents:

:suds:

Lucky that I can't root for Georgia. I'll just root for a 10 overtime game that ends on a fluke safety, ending the game at a very frustrating score of 2-0.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Johnson on the hot seat going into last year? Then he pulled out an 11 win season.

Also to be fair to Gailey, I think Gailey faced Richt's best UGA teams. UGA finished in the Top 10 every year except for 2006 (which is the year that Gailey should have really beat UGA) during Gailey's tenure at Tech.

I'm an outsider, but I've always felt Tech's weakness has been their defense during the Johnson era.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Johnson on the hot seat going into last year? Then he pulled out an 11 win season.

Also to be fair to Gailey, I think Gailey faced Richt's best UGA teams. UGA finished in the Top 10 every year except for 2006 (which is the year that Gailey should have really beat UGA) during Gailey's tenure at Tech.

I'm an outsider, but I've always felt Tech's weakness has been their defense during the Johnson era.

Johnson was on the hot seat going into last season. 11 wins including an Orange Bowl victory changes things greatly.

As for Gailey....I was at the ACC championship game in Jacksonville, Fl. The one where we lost 9-6 in the rain to Wake Forest. That game summed up the misery that was Chan Gailey. He had 5+ losses every year that he coached for us. Never beat UGA. Never won the ACC. Never finished in the top 25. I was ecstatic to see him fired.

During the first 6 seasons Johnson has coached, Defense was definitely our weakness. Last year our defense improved all the way up to average. We gave up a bunch of yards but managed to force a lot of turnovers. So far this year our defense has been the one thing that hasn't been a total disappointment.

I'm just hoping our guys can finally figure out how to block against UNC.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson was on the hot seat going into last season. 11 wins including an Orange Bowl victory changes things greatly.

As for Gailey....I was at the ACC championship game in Jacksonville, Fl. The one where we lost 9-6 in the rain to Wake Forest. That game summed up the misery that was Chan Gailey. He had 5+ losses every year that he coached for us. Never beat UGA. Never won the ACC. Never finished in the top 25. I was ecstatic to see him fired.

During the first 6 seasons Johnson has coached, Defense was definitely our weakness. Last year our defense improved all the way up to average. We gave up a bunch of yards but managed to force a lot of turnovers. So far this year our defense has been the one thing that hasn't been a total disappointment.

I'm just hoping our guys can finally figure out how to block against UNC.

I definitely agreed with you guys firing Gailey after 2007. I didn't mean to come off as being pro-Gailey. I just wanted to highlight that UGA from a year to year basis was a better program when Gailey was at Tech than its been since Johnson took over.

I also thought Johnson was going to be toast if it wasn't for the 11 win season last year. Year 3-year 6 was essentially the same results at Tech that Gailey got (at least 5 losses each year and failing to beat UGA)

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want to go ahead and apologize for the overreaction I had here. I do love Paul Johnson as a coach. And I do have a love for the Flexbone offense. I was overly frustrated with it and ready to give up. I shouldn't have though. I still believe in you Paul.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can be frustrating. Even tonight, Tech won because of Defense and Special Teams, not Offense. But my overall faith in CPJ has gone way up again. If he can get us bowl eligible and/or a win over UGA I will be okay with this season.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we have a "bye" this week. Let's hope we can finally finally regroup.