• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doing a kitchen remodel

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and we'd like to put in a nice higher end gas stove.

Lots to choose from, Viking, Wolf, Jenn-Air, etc, but for as many good reviews that i read about each of them, I also find a lot of complaints as well, with one exception, Capital.

Any thoughts on the different ranges, does any one have the rotisserie add on and do you like/use it?

I am having trouble justifying the added cost, I can get a name brand stove from most appliance centers for $1500, these pro ranges start at three grand and keep going up from there.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya get what you pay for...shop wisely and GL2U in your remodel success. Don't go cheap on your overhead exhaust system either. That will run you a grand as well.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ex mother in law had 2 different rotisseries put in because she was so sure she wanted one. They both sucked. Then she got one by La Cornue that was really nice. It made me want to put one in our place, until I found out it had cost her over $10k. If you're willing to spend that much, I can vouch for their rotisserie being very nice. If you're like the other 99.9% of people who can't really justify spending that much for something that maybe gets used once a week. And even then only if you look for ways to use it.

Personally if it was me looking at adding a specialty kitchen appliance, as much as I would like a rotisserie, I would be looking at a brick pizza oven.

Is capitol the brand that was started by the main engineer behind starting Wolf or one of the other specialty brands? I'm pretty sure it's a newer brand, so less complaints, but designed by a guy who had been designing all of the ranges for another brand. I would expect them to perform similar, and maybe even slightly better, but have had less Imput from a design team. I know my ex was always attract to the French ranges. They look a lot better (to her crappy womanly aesthetics, I like the stainless steel higher tech looking ones) but only seem to cook half as well. And they charge twice as much. So if you can convince the wife on the looks of the Capitol ranges, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. But good luck convincing her on those looks. And I don't think it will perform much better or be more trouble free or anything. They're all pretty similar, just find one that looks pretty and had the features you want. Or think you want.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Culinarian model 60
That looks pretty nice.
Culinarian_60_Man_Range.jpg

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having bought a bunch of industrial units for work over the years, one of the most important tips I can give you is don't buy by btu. High btu doesn't mean high performance or faster heat. It is a selling point that gets most people.

One of the best in home kitchen ranges in that price range is Whirlpool IMO. They have a bunch of features like power burners, broiler and have sensors inside the oven to make sure heat is consistent throughout. They also self clean using water that helps keep the burning smell the typical self cleaning feature.

Surprisingly, LG also makes some pretty good gas ranges but I have never used one. They dont look as industrial as the others but they perform just as well I hear. I actually like the duel oven models with a large and small oven. I have always hated heating up a huge oven just to bake something small or for only a few minutes so the smaller oven preheats quick and are more energy efficient. Most times the smaller oven is conventional and the larger is convection.

One of the problems that come up with gas ranges is how well the ventilation works above and if it disrupts the flame efficiency. Have to figure out the right pressure inside the house so the vent isn't pulling too much causing a vacuum that can suck up all the heat or a/c in the entire house.

Last edited: