• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

do y'all play or just fans?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much did that racquet cost?
maybe $100? I am pretty sure I got it off eBay. I generally don't buy my racquets new.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree about investing in lessons rather than new racquets

took 2 lessons with a club pro to fix my serve, which was just awful

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

again, I am not considering a new racquet to fix anything. I am considering a new racquet because I like to have 2 of the same racquets in case I break a string. Since I smashed one, I could either go get another of my old one or go another route.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, I am not considering a new racquet to fix anything. I am considering a new racquet because I like to have 2 of the same racquets in case I break a string. Since I smashed one, I could either go get another of my old one or go another route.
oh yeah, i wasn't trying to go against anything you said

i was just talking about getting a new racquet because you think it's going to make a bigger impact on your game than a lesson or two would

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Define awful. Awful for your standards, or awful compared to anyone?

Still, 2 lessons is a quick turnaround. That's like 2 weeks?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh yeah, i wasn't trying to go against anything you said

i was just talking about getting a new racquet because you think it's going to make a bigger impact on your game than a lesson or two would
I would disagree with whether a racquet can change your game. There are racquets for those looking for control vs those looking for power. There are open string patterns to generate more top spin. There are heavier or lighter racquets based on your body type or swing speed. To say that changing racquets can't improve your game is silly.

If you already have a racquet that fits you, then yea, changing may not help.

But I will say, changing to an open string pattern (16x18) made a pretty big difference from my Dunlop MFil 200 18x20 sting pattern.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree with whether a racquet can change your game. There are racquets for those looking for control vs those looking for power. There are open string patterns to generate more top spin. There are heavier or lighter racquets based on your body type or swing speed. To say that changing racquets can't improve your game is silly.

If you already have a racquet that fits you, then yea, changing may not help.

But I will say, changing to an open string pattern (16x18) made a pretty big difference from my Dunlop MFil 200 18x20 sting pattern.

Changing the strings and tensions are also a huge difference. Finding strings that perform with certain racket type is complicated. First thing I ask someone is what strings they have and what tension they string at. If they dont know the first thing I say to myself is "They are probably getting beat today".

Reactions: ill

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changing the strings and tensions are also a huge difference. Finding strings that perform with certain racket type is complicated. First thing I ask someone is what strings they have and what tension they string at. If they dont know the first thing I say to myself is "They are probably getting beat today".
I didn't get into knowing that sort of thing until I started stringing my own racquets. When you hand someone a racquet and tell them to string it at so and so tension and you don't care what kind of strings, you don't fully appreciate the variety of combinations you can put together.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get into knowing that sort of thing until I started stringing my own racquets. When you hand someone a racquet and tell them to string it at so and so tension and you don't care what kind of strings, you don't fully appreciate the variety of combinations you can put together.

Absolutely. I just changed my cross strings back to synthetic and lowered the tension on the Polys. Like haveing a whole new racket.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At what level? I'm guessing most players 3.5 and below have no idea what string tension they use.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what level? I'm guessing most players 3.5 and below have no idea what string tension they use.
3.5 should know. That is where you start shaping your shots and being able to place the ball with more precision.

if you are 3.0 or lower, I don't think it matters. You are still developing your stroke. I would consider getting an upgraded racquet, but you really don't need to worry about what strings are on it.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3.5 should know. That is where you start shaping your shots and being able to place the ball with more precision.

if you are 3.0 or lower, I don't think it matters. You are still developing your stroke.

I agree with ill. 3.0 it does not matter. The strokes are nonexistent. Probably the top half of 3.5 is where those players should know what they need. 4.0 for sure.

A lot of the higher players who dont know probably have a pro to figure that out for them. Still, there is a good chance the player is not maxing out his performance if he does not know.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When buying a new racquet, do all of them list the string tension?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have a recommended tension to string to. Lower is more for power and a bigger sweet spot, higher is for control and a smaller sweet spot.

I prefer to go the higher route to have a more stable string bed to hit with. The strings snapping back into place help with spin.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they have a recommended tension to string to. Lower is more for power and a bigger sweet spot, higher is for control and a smaller sweet spot.

I prefer to go the higher route to have a more stable string bed to hit with. The strings snapping back into place help with spin.

This is accurate but it depends on the stiffness of the racket. For a stiff racket yes 100%. For a flexible racket having high tensions will not matter as much with spin. The frame twists a lot which will keep the strings from moving as much. Lower tension with thinner strings would probably be better in that case.

Reactions: ill

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be clear, i didn't say anything resembling "a racquet cannot change your game."

it can. so can strings and correct tensions for your particular swings.

but you have to have a fundamentally sound serve, groundstokes, volleys, and foot work before you start fiddling around too much with all of that, or it's just a waste of money.

old lion said something along the lines of if your opponent doesn't know their strings or tension, then they're going to lose. probably true. but those of us who have played for awhile have seen a lot of players who think they just need to find the right racquet/string combo to "elevate" their game, when the real problem is their mechanics. that's where my comment about getting the help of a club pro was aimed.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyway, to get back to talking about our games, before shoulder surgery, i used kevlar mains nylon crosses. now i use textured poly mains and smooth poly crosses.

and yeah, it took a couple of lessons with a club pro for me to fix my serve mechanics which took me to a solid 4.5. super busy from now until May (masters in special ed and national board certification), but i'll be looking to get some lessons in June and play competitively for the first time since 2010.

i didn't start playing tennis until my late 20s, and was completely self-taught.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyway, to get back to talking about our games, before shoulder surgery, i used kevlar mains nylon crosses. now i use textured poly mains and smooth poly crosses.

and yeah, it took a couple of lessons with a club pro for me to fix my serve mechanics which took me to a solid 4.5. super busy from now until May (masters in special ed and national board certification), but i'll be looking to get some lessons in June and play competitively for the first time since 2010.

i didn't start playing tennis until my late 20s, and was completely self-taught.

Good to hear. Proper mechanics will help a lot especially on a serve. There are some players you see on TV (mostly women though) with horrible mechanics on serve. Granted there are a million ways to hit a tennis ball and you will notice many top players hit the same shots differently

You also mentioned another thing I always suggest. Never put textured strings on the crosses. No sense in it as it will keep the mains from moving and wear them out faster.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost every WTA match I watch, I'm blown away by the hideous serves.

And the ball tosses. LOL.

I have an excuse. They do not.