• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DJ with one of my holes

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drive in the water and then the next one in the deep rough? Which leads to a question. Let's say you hit a tee shot and then decide to take a provisional. On the provisional, you send it straight into the water (not that something like this ever happened to me!). So what do you do at that point, if you decide not to tear up the scorecard and start drinking heavy?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You take a 2nd provisional. But then I believe you have choices. You can find the original drive or play the first provisional where it crossed the water.

It's a good question, and I'm not sure of answer. Maybe you have to play the first provisional where it crossed the hazard.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drive in the water and then the next one in the deep rough? Which leads to a question. Let's say you hit a tee shot and then decide to take a provisional. On the provisional, you send it straight into the water (not that something like this ever happened to me!). So what do you do at that point, if you decide not to tear up the scorecard and start drinking heavy?

Provisional...the only time a provisional is an option is if you think you might be OB, or potentially lost outside the margin of a hazard...i.e. long grass, woods, etc.

I see players that hit a ball heading towards a water hazard but we don't see a splash, they pull out another ball and say I'm hitting a provisional...I say there's no need to hit another ball unless you just want to, but if you do hit another one, that ball is automatically in play now.

On your point...it depends on what happened to the original shot...if you think it's lost in the woods (not marked by any stakes) and you hit a provisional into the water...if you can't find the original ball, you'd be taking a drop where your provisional last crossed the margin of the hazard lying 5.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You take a 2nd provisional. But then I believe you have choices. You can find the original drive or play the first provisional where it crossed the water.

It's a good question, and I'm not sure of answer. Maybe you have to play the first provisional where it crossed the hazard.

If the original ball is deemed to be in a hazard...that next ball played does not have provisional status...it's in play. The right play is to drop and play 3 where the original last cross the margin of the hard.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another good one...par 3 with all carry over water...the stakes are yellow, except at the far right corner of the landing area about 15 yds to the right of the green there are 2 stakes side by side...the left one yellow, the right one red.

Playing partner's ball hit's the greenside bank to the left of the yellow stake and rolls back in to the water...my ball hit to the right of the red stake also in the drink.

I told him...you're not going to like this but you have to keep the water between your ball and the hole, (i.e. about a 60 yd shot if he went up to the edge of the water) but I get to drop over there where it last crossed the margin. Talk about pissed...he didn't get it.

I said I tell you what...I'll play a ball from here like you, and another from where I think I should drop, we'll record both scores and let the head pro settle it when the round is over.

I made a 5 with the longer drop and 4 with the more favorable drop...the pro sided with me...because my ball was right of the red stake it could be played as a lateral, whereas as the ball that was left of the yellow stake had to be played as I told him.