• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Smith got hurt the OL still was not as good as 2016. Cooper simply is barEly average and we can't have him as our starter in 2018. I am thinking we consider trading down a little in the 1st if all the elite players are gone and take will hernandez from UTEP. I would trade 19 for Cleveland 2nd and 3rd.
I still want a DT if that bad ass DT is still there at our pick.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me dispel the rumors of everyone thinking you guys were crazy for some short sighted reason that I've now read about 10 times in the last month. I remember people on here (don't remember who) thinking we were going to get 2 first round picks from a team that still had to give Dez a huge contract (and it also would have left us with no receivers). All this coming on the heels of some bad off the field issues too (and a bad back?). So yeah, I thought that was a pipe dream and a bad idea then and today.

I don't know who you read it from 10 times in the last month. Certainly not from me.

I wasn't trying to play the victim card here by mentioning that I was criticized then; just stating that I know my opinion on this is against the grain, and I'm fine with that. If my words read anything other than that, it was just a lack of clarity on my part.

Like Schmoop said, anyone worth two first rounders is worth keeping. I have never thought that Dez was a #1 WR; I certainly wouldn't suppose that someone would give us 2 first round picks for him. I do believe, though, that the majority opinion on here of what Dez has been for us, is what the majority opinion was five years ago around the league of what he could be, which is why I did believe that we could get a 1st and maybe a 2nd/3rd for him.

As I said, it's a debatable point, but I've given my reasons why I see things the way I do. I'll just leave it at that now and say, my opinions are only that - a guy airing his thoughts from behind a keyboard.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who you read it from 10 times in the last month. Certainly not from me.

I wasn't trying to play the victim card here by mentioning that I was criticized then; just stating that I know my opinion on this is against the grain, and I'm fine with that. If my words read anything other than that, it was just a lack of clarity on my part.

Like Schmoop said, anyone worth two first rounders is worth keeping. I have never thought that Dez was a #1 WR; I certainly wouldn't suppose that someone would give us 2 first round picks for him. I do believe, though, that the majority opinion on here of what Dez has been for us, is what the majority opinion was five years ago around the league of what he could be, which is why I did believe that we could get a 1st and maybe a 2nd/3rd for him.

As I said, it's a debatable point, but I've given my reasons why I see things the way I do. I'll just leave it at that now and say, my opinions are only that - a guy airing his thoughts from behind a keyboard.

Is there another Jerry out there ?? Maybe.

It's a little different time now, but my man JJ traded two 1sts for Galloway and turned around a few yrs later and traded a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Smith got hurt the OL still was not as good as 2016. Cooper simply is barEly average and we can't have him as our starter in 2018. I am thinking we consider trading down a little in the 1st if all the elite players are gone and take will hernandez from UTEP. I would trade 19 for Cleveland 2nd and 3rd.
You're right, the line wasn't as good last year as they were in 2016. I'm not sure that falls on Cooper, who I thought was serviceable and would be again, if signed somewhat on the cheap based on his time in the league. Nobody bats a 1000. Smith wasn't as good as he's been in previous years, even before his injuries. My man, Fredrick wasn't nearly as good last year as he was in 17, nor Martin IMO. Collins wasn't bad all things considered.

I was listening to Norm Hiskes (who I value his football opinions) the other day. He made a case for drafting a top 2 round OT and moving Collins back to guard as well as resigning Cooper for the depth. This seems to have merit since Smiths back could be a long term problem. Norm said Collins was very good at tackle but, he was close to an All-Pro guard when he played there in 16. He pointed out that Collins could slide to left tackle and Cooper to left guard if Smith;s back continues to be an issue. I can see his point but I remain convinced you can find a good oline prospect in round 4 if yours scouting is top notch, which I'm starting to think ours is. I guess a lot depends on Cooper, and if he values his experience in Dallas over a huge pay day

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still of opinion..an additional oline guy is needed in this draft, just not in round 1 or 2
I'm looking for speed at wide and two more defensive stud prospects to continue the defensive rebuild

Last edited:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, the line wasn't as good last year as they were in 2016. I'm not sure that falls on Cooper, who I thought was serviceable and would be again, if signed somewhat on the cheap based on his time in the league. Nobody bats a 1000. Smith wasn't as good as he's been in previous years, even before his injuries. My man, Fredrick wasn't nearly as good last year as he was in 17, nor Martin IMO. Collins wasn't bad all things considered.

I was listening to Norm Hiskes (who I value his football opinions) the other day. He made a case for drafting a top 2 round OT and moving Collins back to guard as well as resigning Cooper for the depth. This seems to have merit since Smiths back could be a long term problem. Norm said Collins was very good at tackle but, he was close to an All-Pro guard when he played there in 16. He pointed out that Collins could slide to left tackle and Cooper to left guard if Smith;s back continues to be an issue. I can see his point but I remain convinced you can find a good oline prospect in round 4 if yours scouting is top notch, which I'm starting to think ours is. I guess a lot depends on Cooper, and if he values his experience in Dallas over a huge pay day
I have heard the drafting of a tackle & sliding Collins back to guard. I like what is said here. that way we can still have a quality back up LT if Smith injuries persist. We would have to find us a RT though. whether through FA or the draft.
Also I think we should be drafting OL every draft (not always a high pick) Even if we cut them (lower picks) keep trying every year to find a guy, because not only for injuries, but when we have probowlers, especially when contracts come up close to each other, at some point we wont be resigning them all. It would be nice to plug in a quality to probowl type guy (still on a rookie contract) in when we have to cut one loose. Imagine if we found a quality guy say every couple to three years.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have 4 starting OL. We need a 5th. Then we need to add depth as well. Collins can fit at either spot and I agree he is better at LG but it may be easier and cheaper to find a LG to play between two All Pros than a RT for this year. I am fine with either. I am also fine resigning Cooper as a starter or to compete for the starting LG spot. Clearly we also need depth. But first things first.