• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Meets Jerry

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it wasn't, if so Dez would have been released early March. If you don't think Jerry fought to keep Dez up until the end, you don't know Jerry.
I think Jerry did not take this decision lightly, and I think he dragged his feet because he did not want to tell Dez. He had a hard time trying to find the right time to tell Dez they were moving on.. To me dragging it out was the worse thing.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think that the decision was made that long ago - at most finalized a couple of weeks ago.

We can sit back and criticize the organization, and heaven knows Jerry & Co. deserves criticism for how they handle all things Cowboys, but to leave the blame completely on JJ is to turn a blind eye to how Dez handled himself throughout and afterwards.

By saying outright, "I will not be taking a pay cut," already back in January and again a couple of times since then, Dez was also dragging everything out. If he would have said, "No comment," he would have left the door open for negotiations sooner.

Much has been made about the fact that Jerry didn't even make an offer to Dez. Dez didn't really allow that approach. One might say that Dez was just trying to set the bar high so that he could get the most he could. That's great, and I don't begrudge a man getting the most he can for his work, but do that behind closed doors and not in the public spot light.

What did Dez think would happen? That the public would force JJ to pay Dez the full 12.5? Athletes need to come to terms with the fact that professional sports is a business and that they should approach their salaries in a professional manner. Until they do, they really come across as entitled brats.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a stretch suggesting because Dez did not see a Route Coach, Jerry would have fought harder for him. The organization had already made up their mind. The meeting was just to tell Dez face to face. IMO that had nothing to do with it. When you don't even ask a player to take a pay cut, it means you don't want them at all.
Agree. The route coach was a nice blurb for the fans but means nothing to the team. It's like a coach saying I can't help you so you should hire this guy. This had nothing to do with it. If Dez wanted to work on routes you can be darned sure the Cowboy coaches would spend every day with him doing it. He was cut Friday because the offseason workouts started Monday and if he got hurt Monday we would own him for the year. Plus we probably didn't want him around the other guys building support/camaraderie ahead of the inevitable cut.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. The route coach was a nice blurb for the fans but means nothing to the team. It's like a coach saying I can't help you so you should hire this guy. This had nothing to do with it. If Dez wanted to work on routes you can be darned sure the Cowboy coaches would spend every day with him doing it. He was cut Friday because the offseason workouts started Monday and if he got hurt Monday we would own him for the year. Plus we probably didn't want him around the other guys building support/camaraderie ahead of the inevitable cut.

I'm glad he's gone. I just wish we could have got something for him.

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he's gone. I just wish we could have got something for him.

Me too, but the time for that was a few years ago, prior to his non-rookie contract. It was not a possibility this year - his salary, his antics, and his lack of production were too big of a risk for any team. Even with him being an UFA, teams aren't biting, even though the salary is not the issue now.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly surprised to see Dallas make the move to release Dez. I thought it was in the best interest of the Cowboys to do so, still, I'm surprised to see Jerry pull the trigger.

Sounds like there may be a decent chance Dez lands in Baltimore. So I may still get a chance to watch him every week. I'm hoping so, I'm still a fan.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also heard the Cowboys intentionally waited to cut Dez because they didn't want him to go to a division rival. By now most teams have used most of their cap. If that is the case, it is very short-sighted. Dez could sign a one year deal and be back on the FA list next year. So I don't put much weight behind that as a motive to wait like they did.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also heard the Cowboys intentionally waited to cut Dez because they didn't want him to go to a division rival. By now most teams have used most of their cap. If that is the case, it is very short-sighted. Dez could sign a one year deal and be back on the FA list next year. So I don't put much weight behind that as a motive to wait like they did.
I doubt they are afraid of seeing Dez twice a year. If they were worried about him, they wouldn't have told him to hit the bricks. I think it was more about Jerry wanting to keep him and Stephen winning out

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a mostly unrelated note, my daughter is still upset that they cut Dez.
I realized after about 5 seconds of trying to explain it that She doesn't get the salary cap so it was kind of futile to continue...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realized after about 5 seconds of trying to explain it that She doesn't get the salary cap so it was kind of futile to continue...
I didn't know tomodach was your daughter.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter was also upset. She got a Dez jersey for Xmas and has worn it twice since she found out Friday night.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As he sits unsigned; Instead of it sinking in that maybe the problem wasn't the Cowboys after all and Dez looking within to see he is responsible and having some accountability,,,the longer it is for a team to sign him the more bitter he will get and blame the Cowboys. Now he is lashing out at the fans like it is our fault. It's text book for his personality. Tip for you parents: hug your kids. This guy needs psychological help and his diminishing skill set only exasperates the problem.

Hopefully for his sake he gets some nibbles soon. For the record I see Az and Buf as horrible fits for him and I'd be shocked if the Giants signed him. Go to GB where Rodgers makes everyone look good, spreads the ball around and can put the ball through the eye of the needle. But from GBs perspective why would they rather have Dez than Jordy unless Dez comes in around $5M per year. Kid is gonna crack if he doesn't get signed soon.

Dez Bryant - WR - Free Agent
The Ravens aren't expected to pursue free agent Dez Bryant.

The Ravens were linked to Bryant early, but will likely move on after signing Willie Snead to an offer sheet. Arizona, Green Bay and Buffalo are the teams with the most interest in Bryant to this point. It's possible Bryant waits until after the draft to sign.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As he sits unsigned; Instead of it sinking in that maybe the problem wasn't the Cowboys after all and Dez looking within to see he is responsible and having some accountability,,,the longer it is for a team to sign him the more bitter he will get and blame the Cowboys. Now he is lashing out at the fans like it is our fault. It's text book for his personality. Tip for you parents: hug your kids. This guy needs psychological help and his diminishing skill set only exasperates the problem.

Hopefully for his sake he gets some nibbles soon. For the record I see Az and Buf as horrible fits for him and I'd be shocked if the Giants signed him. Go to GB where Rodgers makes everyone look good, spreads the ball around and can put the ball through the eye of the needle. But from GBs perspective why would they rather have Dez than Jordy unless Dez comes in around $5M per year. Kid is gonna crack if he doesn't get signed soon.

Dez Bryant - WR - Free Agent
The Ravens aren't expected to pursue free agent Dez Bryant.

The Ravens were linked to Bryant early, but will likely move on after signing Willie Snead to an offer sheet. Arizona, Green Bay and Buffalo are the teams with the most interest in Bryant to this point. It's possible Bryant waits until after the draft to sign.
The fact that NOBODY wants him speaks to whether or not the Cowboys made the right move at his former cap hit.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if he was cut at the beginning he'd have been signed already.
True, but if he were considered a legit #1, he would be signed now as well. He was getting paid top 3 WR money..Imagine if Julio, OBJ or Antonio Brown were cut tomorrow...31 teams would be lined up, no matter their cap situation. Either way, he will be playing for about half what he was scheduled to make. I believe if his initial response to a pay cut weren't ''no, Hell no'', he'd still be here too.