• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Decade 24 Minute Draft Play-In Game 1 : Sushi vs WLK

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would have been exactly my game plan. Make WLK's team into a long 2 shooting team. With the length that Sabonis and Yao had, I don't need either of them getting up in Aldridge or Webber's grill to contest adequately. They wouldn't be lock down, but imagine those guys trying to shoot over the outstretched reaches of those guys, even from an arms length. It's not infallible, but it causes some shot disruption.

You're right that RW isn't a great one on one defender. That would take a lot on his part to stay in front of Parker. But by giving room on the screens by my bigs, it gives Russ an additional cushion.

The game plan discussions on these drafts is by far my favorite parts of the drafts. The picks and constructing the teams is fun and all, but discussing how the team works in the minds of everyone else compared to your thought is always fun. Interesting to see how everyone else views a particular construction. My team for example I don't feel like I put together the most talented team, but I felt like it worked as a team better than any other.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@CitySushi just out of curiosity, who would you have voted for in the me vs. Shane matchup? I have to know if I had a shot to win it or not.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@CitySushi just out of curiosity, who would you have voted for in the me vs. Shane matchup? I have to know if I had a shot to win it or not.

I think Shane made a mistake by subbing Garnett for Amare. What Shane forgot is that it's 80's rules, and that Dwight would be able to use his size and strength to push McHale off the block. McHale was craft and would have found ways to score, but he wouldn't have destroyed him and I think Howard would have held his own well. You could have hid Amare on Wallace with him not being a threat. He would have clearly won the 2/4 matchup and I think the 1st and 3rd would have been close to a tie.

As is, I still think Shane's team held a slight edge, just because of his 1st/3rd. The addition of KG's offense into the first unit provides a lot, but it also removes a lot from the 2nd/4th. I have Hakeem and Kareem as a wash, but Wade would have killed Mullin. So I have you in the 2/4.

That being said, I think the amount Shane wins the 1st and 3rd by more than you would have won the 2nd and 4th.

Really tough call though. It really could go either way, which is why the voting ended up how it did.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Shane made a mistake by subbing Garnett for Amare. What Shane forgot is that it's 80's rules, and that Dwight would be able to use his size and strength to push McHale off the block. McHale was craft and would have found ways to score, but he wouldn't have destroyed him and I think Howard would have held his own well. You could have hid Amare on Wallace with him not being a threat. He would have clearly won the 2/4 matchup and I think the 1st and 3rd would have been close to a tie.

As is, I still think Shane's team held a slight edge, just because of his 1st/3rd. The addition of KG's offense into the first unit provides a lot, but it also removes a lot from the 2nd/4th. I have Hakeem and Kareem as a wash, but Wade would have killed Mullin. So I have you in the 2/4.

That being said, I think the amount Shane wins the 1st and 3rd by more than you would have won the 2nd and 4th.

Really tough call though. It really could go either way, which is why the voting ended up how it did.

Well at least I did not lose by a time factor then! I thought our matchup was great, he had the better team though

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@CitySushi

I like what you're saying I agree with Mebs on the team discussion being fun, I'd like to post game plans as well and let the votes take a day or 2 while the players argue for a minute but not much agreement...

Anyway, about the match... I love Sabonis and Yao but I don't think they would work well vs Webber and Aldridge... While I think they could make a jump shot difficult, Webber was good at taking it to the basket and which of those 2 will be able to stay in front of him if he hits them with a pump and go... You say they will play off a step or 2 and now they have room to get a clean shot, neither of those guys are quick enough to take away both from Webber... Also Aldridge isn't as good to the hoop but he can do the same and his jumper is better.. IMO it's too much to ask them to do both and give a little help on Parker...

As for defense on the wings... Hondo is one of the best defenders ever... He was athletic enough to almost make it as a WR for the Browns... I mean if we're going to cross decades we have to take some of what we didn't see into consideration... If all the information we have about him is true he is the perfect defender on a guy like Worthy, same can be said for Sloan... Now can I say he would shut him down, I can't... But I can say that a guy who made 4 1st team all-d and 2 2nd team all-d should make things very difficult... I can say Westbook is a beast and he will get some but as Mebert pointed out, Parker would be killer vs him... I almost dropped Parker and Sloan to get JoJo White and Battier but I ended up taking the advice that Parker does more for me than doing that...

What I'm seeing is you feel the same way about your bigs vs my bigs as I do about my wings vs your wings... The difference for me is my wings were known as great defenders and your bigs were known as slower offensive players... You're also neglecting the rebounding aspect of our match...

Chris Webber - 6 years 10+ rpg up to 13, 9.8 career, 14years
LaMarcus Aldridge - 2 years 10+ rpg up to 11.1, 8.4 career, 10years
Yao - 2 years 10+ rpg up to 10.8, 9.2 career, 8years
Sabonis - 1 year 10, 7.3 career, 7years

I bring up years because the longer you play obviously the numbers drop... You also have to take into consideration that if we both want our bigs further out, my bigs will get to the rebounds faster due to athleticism and speed alone... Also while he was a teens career scorer Sloan was a great rebounder as a guard (7.4 career rpg 10years) (Hondo 6.3 career, high of 9rpg)... So in order to run you're going to have to rebound and I think I have a stronger rebounding group...

That's my breakdown of group 1&3... I'll have to do 2&4 and any rebuttals later... :suds: