• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Deal in place pending approval"

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To acquire OF Hunter Pence from Philly, per ESPN ticker. Looks like Sabes wasn't going to back down to LA and acquired the OF help we desperately needed.

Hopefully this isn't him hedging his bets on the upcoming FA with Melky. If we sign Melky, our 3-6 will be as solid as there is in our division...something that we haven't been able to say since Ellis Burks was on our squad.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've looked online and there is nothing on mlb.com or espn.com to suggest that it is going down. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit....kinda was excited.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've looked online and there is nothing on mlb.com or espn.com to suggest that it is going down. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit....kinda was excited.

https://twitter.com/KPIXSPORTS

Is the originator of the rumor. He had the first scoop on the Giants signing Bochy, apparently.

Says Joseph is in the deal. So long as Brown, Crick, and Blackburn survive this deadline I'm A OK.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://twitter.com/KPIXSPORTS

Is the originator of the rumor. He had the first scoop on the Giants signing Bochy, apparently.

Says Joseph is in the deal. So long as Brown, Crick, and Blackburn survive this deadline I'm A OK.

Giants | Deal in place for Hunter Pence?

Sun, 29 Jul 2012 23:21:39 -0700

The San Francisco Giants may have a deal in place to obtain OF Hunter Pence from the Philadelphia Phillies, but the deal has to have ownership approval before it is announced. KPIX-TV reported there was a deal, but Giants vice president Bobby Evans texted "there is no truth to the rumor."

Source: CSNBayArea.com - Andrew Baggarly

Read more: KFFL - San Francisco Giants News and Notes

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite what the Philly GM is saying ("I'd have to be blown away to trade Pence"), I'd be shocked if Pence isn't traded. Have you looked at the Phils payroll? Yikes.

2013 guaranteed contracts:

Ryan Howard ($20M)

Cliff Lee ($25M)

Chase Utley ($15M)

Roy Halladay ($20M)

Jonathan Papelbon ($13M)

Jimmy Rollins ($11M)

Kyle Kendrick ($4.5M)

Cole Hamels ($24M)

Laynce Nix (1.35M)

Let's hope the Giants can grab him.

Nate/Blanco
Rye/Marco
Melk
Posey
Pablo
Pence
Sanchez/Belt
Craw/Marco

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for discussion...

Would we be ok if the deal was ToJo for Pence, one-up?

Pence is owed a lot of money, is having a bad year in a hitters park and has such a herky-jerky swing that he is bound to get hurt eventually.

However, with all the hype on ToJo, his season in Richmond, while not horrible, has not been stellar either. Also, he pays a position where the org has both MLB AND farm depth.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It would be a shocker" if the Giants don't acquire an outfielder before the trade deadline, writes ESPN's Buster Olney. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports agrees that the Giants are seeking an outfielder. The Giants have been linked to the Phillies' Hunter Pence and Shane Victorino, but it appears no deal is in place currently."

It would be weird cheering for a jackass like Victorino.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It would be a shocker" if the Giants don't acquire an outfielder before the trade deadline, writes ESPN's Buster Olney. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports agrees that the Giants are seeking an outfielder. The Giants have been linked to the Phillies' Hunter Pence and Shane Victorino, but it appears no deal is in place currently."

It would be weird cheering for a jackass like Victorino.

We all do it. When the hated rival or douchebag player joins the club, we all get on board. We're just rooting for laundry!

:fish:

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all do it. When the hated rival or douchebag player joins the club, we all get on board. We're just rooting for laundry!

:fish:

:)

I remember growing up as an Angel fan, and was taught early on to hate the Yanks, especially Reggie Jackson. Then Reggie became an Angel, and I and other Angel fans loved him almost immediately.

If we Giant fans can cheer on Orel, we can cheer for Victorino... (BTW: my wife NEVER rooted for Hershiser, even with the new Giant laundry. She still despises that guy)

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
:)

I remember growing up as an Angel fan, and was taught early on to hate the Yanks, especially Reggie Jackson. Then Reggie became an Angel, and I and other Angel fans loved him almost immediately.

If we Giant fans can cheer on Orel, we can cheer for Victorino... (BTW: my wife NEVER rooted for Hershiser, even with the new Giant laundry. She still despises that guy)

I never rooted for Hershiser either. Hated that guy. Such a poser.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just for discussion...

Would we be ok if the deal was ToJo for Pence, one-up?

Pence is owed a lot of money, is having a bad year in a hitters park and has such a herky-jerky swing that he is bound to get hurt eventually.

However, with all the hype on ToJo, his season in Richmond, while not horrible, has not been stellar either. Also, he pays a position where the org has both MLB AND farm depth.

I'd be ok with ToJo going for Pence. As you say, org depth. I wouldn't worry at all about his performance in AA, though. Youngest player there, and he's held his own.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants go out an endup adding payroll and give up prospects I'd rather go after Willingham. Guy has always played in a pitchers park and still averages 30 HRs and 100 RBI and an .850 OPS. Pence makes twice as much as Willingham next year and, as stated, is streaky and a possible health risk.

Thats just my 2 cents

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants go out an endup adding payroll and give up prospects I'd rather go after Willingham. Guy has always played in a pitchers park and still averages 30 HRs and 100 RBI and an .850 OPS. Pence makes twice as much as Willingham next year and, as stated, is streaky and a possible health risk.

Thats just my 2 cents

At the same time though, with Pence and Melky on the corners teams will be reluctant to try to take the extra base. If we're able to bring Melky back, add in Gary Brown and that outfield will be very solid, maybe as soon as September.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same time though, with Pence and Melky on the corners teams will be reluctant to try to take the extra base. If we're able to bring Melky back, add in Gary Brown and that outfield will be very solid, maybe as soon as September.

Brown may get a callup, but he ain't replacing Blanco/Pagan in the starting lineup much in a pennant race.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown may get a callup, but he ain't replacing Blanco/Pagan in the starting lineup much in a pennant race.

I do nt expect Brown this year. They have shown to be very patient with him (no AA promo for him last year). And I think with his tough start, they want him to finish the season strong and build confidence.

His start next year will be determined by moves made over the next 7 months.