• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Mavericks - Utah Jazz Game Thread.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Sackataters for starting to watch the game so late, but that's the way it's going to be for me often this year, even for home games.

Starting it now.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no, the game keeps buffering, I'm going to have to reset my router.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, it's working fine now.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post-up by Tinsley.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha, it doesn't get interesting til the 4th. I'm likely going to nights in a month, so ill be DVR ing alongside you.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You like Jamal at point? Can you see Mo as a permanent fixture?

I really like Tinsley at the point. He knows how to use his speed. He can defend his spot decently.

His ball handling is still pretty good.

And he makes good decisions with the ball.

I'm not as concerned with his individual assist numbers. It just seems like when he starts, the Jazz end up with 20-25 assists, only 13 or fewer turnovers.

It was 20 assists and 11 turnovers today. I think you take those kind team assist and turnover numbers anytime.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, to answer your questions from the other thread:

If you watch it, tell me what you think of Favors playing physical with Dirk. Overall, I've been frustrated with Corbin this year. I give him some credit for allowing Burks to play some point. What do you guys think the Jazz need to do going forward?

Favors did do a good job on Nowitzki, but I also think Nowitzki is still coming back from injury. He didn't do any of his spin moves, or step-backs. If he shot, he kept it simple to just catch-and-shoots. So I think it's more about now Nowitzki doesn't have his all-around game yet.

I think the Jazz need better swingmen. Either Burks and/or Hayward have to play a lot better. Most nights, they're overmatched. Hayward had a nice game today, but he hasn't been that consistent, and he either has to find it quickly this year, or the Jazz have to find new ones.

Yes, he's still young, but without improvement from them, the Jazz are going to be in a holding pattern as a bubble playoffs team. And they can't waste too many years of Jefferson. I don't know how long they plan to keep Jefferson, but if they do, then they've got to move to the next level soon.

I also thought Dallas probably should have won this game, they looked more talented with Brand, Kaman, Marion, Mayo. But the Mavs kept having trouble scoring in the 4th, and the Jazz, to their credit, rebounded and limited them to one shot. So the Jazz gained extra possessions, and just kept at it, and pulled ahead.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Tinsley at the point. He knows how to use his speed. He can defend his spot decently.

His ball handling is still pretty good.

And he makes good decisions with the ball.

I'm not as concerned with his individual assist numbers. It just seems like when he starts, the Jazz end up with 20-25 assists, only 13 or fewer turnovers.

It was 20 assists and 11 turnovers today. I think you take those kind team assist and turnover numbers anytime.

Tinsley bounced the ball through the defender's legs two times in the Denver game; neither time he scored though. One missed layup and the other he passed the ball after it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tinsley bounced the ball through the defender's legs two times in the Denver game; neither time he scored though. One missed layup and the other he passed the ball after it.

I think I missed those.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Favors has been a mild disappointment, on defense too. I think Brand, Kenyon Martin, Chandler, Horford, and Oden (during those 2 months he was healthy in his 3rd year in 2009-2010) were starting caliber defenders at this point.

Favors looks good on some possessions, but he got in foul trouble yesterday. He has to be able to defend without fouling, even if it's against a superstar. He's no good if he's going to get in foul trouble. He should be able to do a better job without fouling than he did yesterday.

He also averages 4.8 fouls per 36 minutes. I've never seen anyone become a starting caliber player with that kind of foul rate. That's like what Millsap used to do his first few years.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, to answer your questions from the other thread:

I think the Jazz need better swingmen. Either Burks and/or Hayward have to play a lot better. Most nights, they're overmatched. Hayward had a nice game today, but he hasn't been that consistent, and he either has to find it quickly this year, or the Jazz have to find new ones.

I've been disappointed in Marvin. I thought the kid would flourish here. I don't know if it is a matter of how he is being used or if he just defers too much. His shot is off.

Do you like the Burks/Foye backcourt that saw a few minutes last night?

The GM has a puzzle to figure out. Al will probably be seeking a huge contract. Of the two, Al and Paul, I think Al is more consistent. Pairing him with Favors seems like yin/yang. But, it seems like you are a little skeptical of Favors? I am to a degree. The ESPN board thinks he is the unequivocal solution to everything.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been disappointed in Marvin. I thought the kid would flourish here. I don't know if it is a matter of how he is being used or if he just defers too much. His shot is off.

Do you like the Burks/Foye backcourt that saw a few minutes last night?

The GM has a puzzle to figure out. Al will probably be seeking a huge contract. Of the two, Al and Paul, I think Al is more consistent. Pairing him with Favors seems like yin/yang. But, it seems like you are a little skeptical of Favors? I am to a degree. The ESPN board thinks he is the unequivocal solution to everything.

I'm not as skeptical as I am frustrated by his slow progress. The bigs that I mentioned in the other post, who were all good defensive players, had shown more by their 3rd year. Even a HS player like Chandler.

Plus, because the Jazz are a bubble playoffs team (I don't think they make it), they need him even more.

If they were a 5th seed type team, then ok, take your time a little more.

But getting stuck in that spot where they are now, is bad.

Favors can't take 3 more years to become a starting caliber player, they don't have that much more time (unless they decide to completely rebuild by salary dumping Jefferson and Millsap).

As for Burks/Foye, I don't like to judge a pairing in limited minutes against one opponent. It will be something I watch for though, for the rest of the season.

According to Popcorn Machine, they were +11 in the 4th:

PopcornMachine's GameFlows

But again, it was just one opponent, and just one stretch. They have to prove it in similar minutes in the 4th for a month, at least, for me to read anything into it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ESPN board thinks he is the unequivocal solution to everything.

He can help the defense some Jazz are currently 22nd, but the halfcourt offense, especially with little production from the swing players, isn't going to be helped by Favors.

Favors doesn't have a halfcourt game yet.

The lack of production from the swing players makes Jefferson's life harder too, as it's then easier to double him.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think the Jazz go hard at Al then? Try to pair him with an excellent wing?