• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D1 Waiver/Free agency period during off-season poll

Draft to Draft free agency window

• Total voters

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given our somewhat restrictive roster requirements and rules maintaining a minimum of a legal lineup at all times, it has been proposed to open up the waiver wire/Free agency for a short window between the end of NFL Draft, and our draft (TBD).
The window would be a three day waiver period, begining the morning after the real draft is over, followed by free agency until the day before our draft (TBD). The wire would be frozen again throughout the process of our draft, draft would operate as before, allowing owners to draft free agents as well as anyone dropped during the draft. Then another three day waiver period, followed by free agency until week 1.

The pros..would open up more trade possibilities as teams could solve roster requirements issues through the wire and not be constrained in trade negotiations. Not all that likely anyone is getting a game changer off the wire during this tiny window.

The cons..owners may have already planned draft pick trades with players available in free agency in mind. And, it may it may not soften the reason the restrictions are in place to begin with. (difficulty level...it ain't supposed to be easy)

The compromise - vote it in to take effect next season..eliminating most of the cons

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am on the fence... I am not a fan of the AT ALL TIMES part of the rule... as I think that may limit potential trades... But I do think Free agents have to be part of the draft...

My compromise would be that you can add Free agent Kickers/defense ONLY...

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am on the fence... I am not a fan of the AT ALL TIMES part of the rule... as I think that may limit potential trades... But I do think Free agents have to be part of the draft...

My compromise would be that you can add Free agent Kickers/defense ONLY...
What "at all times" part? The legal lineup? That conversation was had and voted on last year..the ship has sailed, for better or worse.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What "at all times" part? The legal lineup? That conversation was had and voted on last year..the ship has sailed, for better or worse.

no, I know... wasn't saying lets change that... was just saying if the whole point of the free agent window is to fix what you do in trades, then shouldn't the window only be open for Kickers/defense?? I guess also QB and TE...

Just no WR/RB

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, I know... wasn't saying lets change that... was just saying if the whole point of the free agent window is to fix what you do in trades, then shouldn't the window only be open for Kickers/defense??
Well the instance that brought the issue up as a possibility of it being a TE problem..so while that was the focus of the rule..it applies to everything.

In this instance, the owner could grab a TE off the wire during the period, and then make the trade.

As is, he couldn't do anything until after that draft, and stay within the rules

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the instance that brought the issue up as a possibility of it being a TE problem..so while that was the focus of the rule..it applies to everything.

In this instance, the owner could grab a TE off the wire during the period, and then make the trade.

As is, he couldn't do anything until after that draft, and stay within the rules

READ MY EDIT. STOP WITG THE QUICK RESPONSES. DAMMIT!!!!

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an interesting idea. We could require depth at roster positions. Excluding Kicker and Defense, every team could be required to keep at least two at every position. Honestly I dont like dictating teams like that but it would allow us to ignore the possibility of opening the wire before the draft.

:2cents:

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted to start it next year just as a compromise. We've never stopped waivers in my dynasty league and it hasn't affected the trading one bit as just as many trades have gone down, because you don't make trades for guys that would be available on the waiver wire anyway.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an interesting idea. We could require depth at roster positions. Excluding Kicker and Defense, every team could be required to keep at least two at every position. Honestly I dont like dictating teams like that but it would allow us to ignore the possibility of opening the wire before the draft.

:2cents:

No chance of that happening unless we expand the rosters because just having to carry 2 quarterbacks, 2 tight ends, 2 kickers, and 2 defenses only leaves 10 roster spots for wide receivers and running backs and that is not near enough.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted to start it next year just as a compromise. We've never stopped waivers in my dynasty league and it hasn't affected the trading one bit as just as many trades have gone down, because you don't make trades for guys that would be available on the waiver wire anyway.
Except for Travis Benjamin...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just want a protection for the marshawn lynch situation of last off season or something like that... I don't like the potential steal of an actual serviceable starter in off season free agency...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance of that happening unless we expand the rosters because just having to carry 2 quarterbacks, 2 tight ends, 2 kickers, and 2 defenses only leaves 10 roster spots for wide receivers and running backs and that is not near enough.
I excluded K and Def, but on the whole I agree. Just trying some out of the box thinking.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want a protection for the marshawn lynch situation of last off season or something like that... I don't like the potential steal of an actual serviceable starter in off season free agency...
I agree I dont want someone to get a free started on the Wire. It would be different if a team picked a player up and injuries or cuts happened but that isnt the case with Lynch.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's why it's still be locked until the draft, and a waiver period..it's not perfect, but better than just being the fastest guy to the wire in February or whatever

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree I dont want someone to get a free started on the Wire. It would be different if a team picked a player up and injuries or cuts happened but that isnt the case with Lynch.

that's why I like my compromise... you can not add a WR/RB in your off season free agent pickup... I mean, It is almost impossible for a team to NEED one to make their lineup legal at all times...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's why it's still be locked until the draft, and a waiver period..it's not perfect, but better than just being the fastest guy to the wire in February or whatever
To be honest, I would rather it remain locked and prevent me from potentially making a trade before someone gets that kind of advantage.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And with the waiver period..you're still incorporating strategy. If you want to position yourself to be the guy who benefits from that, you don't use your waiver and climb the ladder. It's not really stealing, it's using strategy to your dvantage. (Another con of putting it into effect this year though)

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I agree with most of above, I see no valid reason to wait. To that, I think everyone is fully aware of my position on the matter and voted as such. YES - using the wire is not like getting someone for nothing with our non-resetting waiver position

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And with the waiver period..you're still incorporating strategy. If you want to position yourself to be the guy who benefits from that, you don't use your waiver and climb the ladder. It's not really stealing, it's using strategy to your dvantage. (Another con of putting it into effect this year though)

^^^this^^^

As far as I'm concerned if anybody is in this league and hears that a Marshawn Lynch type player might come out of retirement and they don't put in a waiver claim for him right away, they don't deserve to get him. I agree totally that no players in the off-season should become free agents, they should all be on waivers that only process once a week, which gives plenty of time for everybody to put in a claim. I understand that gaining draft picks for free agents could be a strategy, but I just don't think that is what was meant for a dynasty draft. I mean when you look everywhere for rankings and anything else, it's called a "rookie draft". With that being said though, I agree that we probably shouldn't implement anything until next year because it would make a difference to some people and I think this is one of those things that really should be unanimous if we're going to implement it this year.