• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith, Bum, Shark, Melancon all on 10-day DL

Fernandez on 60-day DL

Reyes Moronta to 25 man.

Gregor Blanco added to 40 man and 25 man.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith, Bum, Shark, Melancon all on 10-day DL

Fernandez on 60-day DL

Reyes Moronta to 25 man.

Gregor Blanco added to 40 man and 25 man.
Looks like cal called it on the final bullpen guy. I'm surprised he got the nod over Law. Law's spring was better.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is surprising. I guess Bochy either didn't know this was going to happen or he was talking out of his butt when he mentioned he'd hoped Parker would make it to AAA.
Giants Release Jarrett Parker

Probably didn't know. Giants just have too many OFers in the upper minors. Gotta let Duggar, Mac, Slater and Shaw get plenty of ABs

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably didn't know. Giants just have too many OFers in the upper minors. Gotta let Duggar, Mac, Slater and Shaw get plenty of ABs
Which is why I thought however lost out on the outfield battle would be gone (Blanco, Hernandez or Parker). Its a good problem to have so many outfield prospects at AAA. Considering the age and injury history of the MLB group, they will be needed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible he didn’t take the DFA well, and they booted him.

I don’t believe that as a possibility, just posing it as another possible scenario...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is possible he didn’t take the DFA well, and they booted him.

I don’t believe that as a possibility, just posing it as another possible scenario...
I read somewhere that he could decline the DFA and become a FA. I'd bet that's what happens. I'm thinking he'll end up a Marlin.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that he could decline the DFA and become a FA. I'd bet that's what happens. I'm thinking he'll end up a Marlin.
Possible. He might go the Braves, Nats or Os as well. He is from Virginia.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A player cannot decline a DFA. However, certain players can refuse an outright assignment to the minors (if they have been outrighted once, or have at least 3 years of major league service time).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Giants released him. I think it was purely because they had no where to put him. They already had 4 outfielders for Sacramento and probably want to play Ryder Jones at 1st base.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player cannot decline a DFA. However, certain players can refuse an outright assignment to the minors (if they have been outrighted once, or have at least 3 years of major league service time).
That's what I meant. The team has the absolute right to DFA Parker, but he can decline the assignment and become a FA.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure which thread this belongs in, but....

I have inside info from waaaaay up in the Giants chain that the team is going to push hard for Harper next offseason, but doesn't expect to get him. Instead, they are going all out for

KERSHAW. They are willing to go as large as it takes to get him.

Can you imagine a rotation of Shaw/JC/Bum/Shark/whoever?

The mind reels. I can't see the doyers letting him go, but the source insisted that this is their plan.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have inside info from waaaaay up in the Giants chain that the team is going to push hard for Harper next offseason, but doesn't expect to get him. Instead, they are going all out for

The mind reels. I can't see the doyers letting him go, but the source insisted that this is their plan.
You aren’t one to often use the “sources tell me” line, and I imagine you have some acquaintances from the legal community. So I will take your statement at face value.

I think the Giants will be in the running for Harper, and I think he would consider the Giants. He has spoken highly of both the org and park in the past. But if Strickland has a breakout season, that could create some obstacles. And ultimately, can he resist the lure of NY?

As for Kershaw, I am good with the PLAN, though not necessarily the execution. Bid for him so the dogs are forced to pay out the nose, but don’t actually get him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting.

Harper makes plenty of sense IMO. He's the closest thing they'd get to acquiring another Bonds (I'm not saying he's the Lord) this generation. He fits the mold of a player they'd break the bank for (the Gincarlo Stanton chase). A 10 year deal and he's still just 35 by the time it's over.

AT&T Park is, by far, his worst park in the NL that he's hit in. Just a .580 OPS, compared to .681 in the next lowest, PNC. I'm not too concerned about that, though.

It also follows the reason the Giants were so intent on getting under the tax. They want to reset that clock, knowing full well they are going after a big fish this free agent period.

I imagine getting Bonds and Harper in the same room is a huge draw. Makes a lot of sense.

Kershaw scares me a bit, though. He'll be 31 next March. That rotation is certainly tantalizing for a year or two, but what do you do with Bum? Does he stick around? Do the Giants have two pitchers on massive contracts?

I like the idea of Harper much more. I certainly buy into the fact that the Giants will be all over both.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

Harper makes plenty of sense IMO. He's the closest thing they'd get to acquiring another Bonds (I'm not saying he's the Lord) this generation. He fits the mold of a player they'd break the bank for (the Gincarlo Stanton chase). A 10 year deal and he's still just 35 by the time it's over.

AT&T Park is, by far, his worst park in the NL that he's hit in. Just a .580 OPS, compared to .681 in the next lowest, PNC. I'm not too concerned about that, though.

It also follows the reason the Giants were so intent on getting under the tax. They want to reset that clock, knowing full well they are going after a big fish this free agent period.

I imagine getting Bonds and Harper in the same room is a huge draw. Makes a lot of sense.

Kershaw scares me a bit, though. He'll be 31 next March. That rotation is certainly tantalizing for a year or two, but what do you do with Bum? Does he stick around? Do the Giants have two pitchers on massive contracts?

I like the idea of Harper much more. I certainly buy into the fact that the Giants will be all over both.

I'm not trying to be cagey, but let's just say that my firm handles mostly very high net worth clients. Some of those may have an ownership stake in a local team. You draw the inferences there.

This person was adamant that they would stay under the tax line to reset for the offseason. He didn't expect to get Harper, but said we'd try very hard. He was very confident we'd get Shaw.

Hey, sometimes even very wealthy successful dudes are dead wrong too.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to be cagey, but let's just say that my firm handles mostly very high net worth clients. Some of those may have an ownership stake in a local team. You draw the inferences there.

This person was adamant that they would stay under the tax line to reset for the offseason. He didn't expect to get Harper, but said we'd try very hard. He was very confident we'd get Shaw.

I understand how you have to be careful with what you share. Lawyers have to be very careful giving out information about their clients.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm just tossing my 2 cents in that I'd rather get Harper than Kershaw. And I think it's a good match on paper for both sides.

Not disputing you, in fact it makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just tossing my 2 cents in that I'd rather get Harper than Kershaw. And I think it's a good match on paper for both sides.

Not disputing you, in fact it makes a lot of sense.
Kershaw could make every penny that we would pay but the more likely scenario is that we will pay him for what he's done in Los Angeles and get, at best, a slightly worse pitcher. He is still very good when he is healthy, but he's already more injury prone than just a couple of years ago and his age suggests that will only get worse. It wouldn't be a Zito contract but when has a top tier pitcher signing a long term contract through free agency ever really worked out for the team that signed him?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw could make every penny that we would pay but the more likely scenario is that we will pay him for what he's done in Los Angeles and get, at best, a slightly worse pitcher. He is still very good when he is healthy, but he's already more injury prone than just a couple of years ago and his age suggests that will only get worse. It wouldn't be a Zito contract but when has a top tier pitcher signing a long term contract through free agency ever really worked out for the team that signed him?

Max Scherzer has seemingly withstood the typical regression (if anything he's gotten stronger in his 30s), but he has yet to show signs of injury, whereas Kershaw has three of the last four years. I worry less about Kershaw's pitching ability and more about his ability to stay healthy.

But I mean Kershaw-Bumgarner-Cueto-Shark-Stratton? That's a fu**ing bonkers rotation for a year.