• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cubs ongoing 2016 Season Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Hendricks as the #4 going into the season. I wanted them to add another pitcher to replace Hammel. I have no probably calling Hendricks the #3. He has surpassed the expectations I had for him when the Cubs acquired him. Something I find interesting about Hendricks is that his FIP in 2014 was 3.32 in 2015 it was 3.34 and this year it is 3.32. He doesn't give up a lot of HRs and he maintains a good K/BB ratio.

We go agree that most people still drastically underrate Hendricks. Even if he has a few rough starts and his ERA catches up to his FIP he'd still be in the top 30 in ERA. Hendricks has established himself as a good starter. A career ERA of 3.08. It'll take him repeating a sub 3.00 ERA performance next season before he starts getting the proper recognition. He's similar to James Shields in his baseball journey. Both of them lack elite stuff and neither has elite control. Both were overlooked as prospects, but they found ways to get it done with what they had and exceed all expectations. Shields eventually got recognized as a top pitcher as will Hendricks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else big Travis Wood fans? Guy is a gamer for sure. Also, don't forget that bases loaded, no outs jam he got out of. 1 was on him, other 2 were Joe Nathan's.

I like Wood, although I'm afraid he's gone after this season. He has mentioned wanting to start again and I think that if he can find a team that promises him a shot at the rotation he will leave the Cubs for that chance. I think that was part of the reason for adding Montgomery. A long-term lefty in the bullpen and insurance in case Wood leaves. I think most expect Chapman to be a rental as the Yankees will most likely give him the biggest contract this off-season. Wood staying is not guaranteed. I believe the rest of the bullpen will be back.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Jason Heyward ever come up with a big hit? My God

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good AB off the bench for Szczur

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Jason Heyward ever come up with a big hit? My God
Heyward threw his helmet in the air again last night, looked relieved that Contrares was hitting ahead of him.
Jason has been striking the ball better, lining out hard like Soler was, its just knowing this guy had such trouble with his swing and still signing him to this huge deal is what is starting to aggravate the fans.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, Grimm is back down so Hammel can start tomorrow, and Grimmer is not crying like a little bitch like LaStella over it. Thought they could have kept Justin up one more game though, but the pen is well rested, probably needs work.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
La Stella might be walking away from baseball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's under team control through the 2020 season. He has no leverage. He can't force a trade. He can't force his way back onto the roster. He can't make himself anything more than a solid utility player. He's not going to be able to walk away from baseball into another job that pays him the $532K he's getting this year. Forget about the other $10-20M he could make over the next 5-8 years.

If he wants to be a baseball player he has to follow the CBA. Everyone knows when they pursue a sport as a career what the rules are. This situation happens with multiple teams every year. He's not special and he gets sent up and down just like everyone else when there is a numbers crunch. Yes, it sucks for him that the Cubs are carrying 3 catchers which is a large part of what forced this move. His union agreed to the rules in place and if he doesn't like them he should be yelling at union reps to try to get things changed in the upcoming CBA.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs are monitoring a triceps issue with Rondon. He has been throwing the ball well, but it sure seems like maybe part of the reason they went all in with Chapman.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strop and Rondon both hurt now. Edwards is emerging as a quality bullpen arm. We need everyone healthy and back to form for the playoffs. Now is the time for a minor injury to get some rest, heal and get back to form in the last few weeks of the season.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, this strop injury looked pretty bad, definitely will get Grimm back up, but Edwards definitely deserves the chance to be the man. Montgomery should get his shit together eventually. Do not know if they are not using him expecting to start him in the double header or if they call up Cahill to do it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strop is out 4-6 weeks after having his knee scoped. The probable starters for the double header are Hammel and Lester. They have the day off before to keep the rotation on track if they choose to. Cahill is listed as the probable for the next day.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A big wim last night for the Cubs........An extra inning affair vs a team that had the better of them this year.

They need to make a statement vs this wildcard team for me to believe again they are serious contenders for the WS.
If they split this series,I will be shaking my head.........They really need a 3 of 4 game series win or even better yet a sweep.
They don`t need to go into the playoffs with other teams thinking they have a legit shot at beating them....They need to pout it in other contenders mind,you come to Wrigley,you`d better come to play.

And heyward............atleast he got a hit lastnight.lol

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strop is out 4-6 weeks after having his knee scoped. The probable starters for the double header are Hammel and Lester. They have the day off before to keep the rotation on track if they choose to. Cahill is listed as the probable for the next day.

I thought they get a 26th man for double headers, so it would not take a move to have Cahill pitch in the double header, it would take a move to have him the next day.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone needs to remind Rizzo to start running when the pitcher starts his motion on full count, two outs, bases loaded. :)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After leading baseball in wins in the regular season. After tearing through the Giants and Dodgers. It all comes to one game. I'm glad the AL got home field this year, because it allows the Cubs to use their DH!