• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crossing my fingers Earl Stay’s and Kam play’s

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam will probably be on the roster in some form in 2018 due to contract structure. It's not financially beneficial for the team to cut him, and it isn't financially beneficial for Kam to retire. I heard in the middle of the week that they're going to give him some sort of "can he play?" eval in June and go from there. Sounds like a PUP situation to me with lingering uncertainty on what his future is.

Earl is probably on the team at least for 2018 since no trade happened before the end of round 2 on Friday, but it's still possible he could be dealt for future picks I guess. Seems like the best bet is he's on the team for at least 1 more season though. Having him here one more year to teach Tedric Thompson and others and play at a HOF level is not a bad thing, even if he walks in '19 (comp pick coming our way if that happens, maybe a 3rd rounder in '20).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll said in an interview, "Earl Thomas is a Seahawk, he's not going anywhere." It was the stupid media (as usual) and 'draft gurus' that trumped up the whole "Thomas might get traded!" because various teams called Seattle to INQUIRE ABOUT A TRADE. That's all it was... Seattle didn't have any intention of trading Thomas, unless some team was like, "We'll trade you all of our picks for the next 2 years!" or something stupid. Sure if the right offer comes along, great!

Thomas and Chancellor will be playing for Seattle this year, and I think it's great.

Our defense IMO is in a good spot. We shored up the D-Line with Johnson/Stephen/Green (excited about), and Dion Jordan may play a bigger role. Our linebacker crew is great with Wright/Wagner and Mingo can perfectly fill in for Wright if he goes down and his coverage/rush defense is top notch, he just never developed into the pass rusher Seattle wanted. As for our secondary, Thomas/Chancellor/McDougald can EASILY fill safety roles (as they've done before) and Griffin/Maxwell were high average/above average corners last year.. and we have a TON of depth in the secondary.

If anything I'm more concerned about our offense and whether they can keep the D off the field.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our defense IMO is in a good spot.
It's in a better spot than most outsiders will think because they'll got locked on to the big name that are no longer here and assume it's a steep drop from there. The place we are in now reminds me a lot of 2011/2012 when Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Richard Sherman, and Kam Chancellor were all no-names; ET was a top prospect from 2010 but there's never a guarantee those guys develop into HOF level players like he has. We are in good shape if we hit on a few of the players who have been waiting for a better chance to prove themselves over the past year or 2.

If anything I'm more concerned about our offense and whether they can keep the D off the field.
It will have a new look for sure. It will come down to how much the run game improves as to whether they can help the D play fewer snaps and not be tasked with keeping us in the game as often. With replacing Graham & Luke W with Dickson & Dissly, bringing in Fluker, new OL coach, and now drafting Penny, I am pretty optimistic that this run game will take a big step up from where it was the last couple years. That doesn't mean I expect it to be at the level of '12-'15, but I would bet anything our RBs are not last in the NFL in TDs again this season.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just reported on 710 by Mike Salk that there was indeed serious discussion with Dallas on a trade for ET, but their best offer was a 3rd rounder. I cant say I wish they made that deal, but the interesting thing to me about that price is that's what we'll likely get as a comp pick if he walks after this year. So assuming there is not an extension, what would you rather have -- ET on the team in '18 plus a 3rd rounder in '20 *or* no more ET and a 2018 3rd rounder? I guess I'm happy with the way it turned out for the moment.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cowboys from what I read was only willing to give up a 3rd round pick in a trade for Earl Thomas. I am all about not out bidding yourself if you have the best offer on the table. To me thats dumb because dont we get a 3rd round comp pick if we let Earl walk away in free agency? with that being said if I were Earl Thomas I would be like really I was only worth a 3rd round pick to you guys? I know Earl is looking for a large contract because he feels he is the best safety in the league but if he walks away in free agency I think he will be pretty humbled in what the market is for a 30 year old safety coming off of two injuries.

Atleast whatever happens we know that Earl will be playing out of his mind this season

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cowboys from what I read was only willing to give up a 3rd round pick in a trade for Earl Thomas. I am all about not out bidding yourself if you have the best offer on the table. To me thats dumb because dont we get a 3rd round comp pick if we let Earl walk away in free agency? with that being said if I were Earl Thomas I would be like really I was only worth a 3rd round pick to you guys? I know Earl is looking for a large contract because he feels he is the best safety in the league but if he walks away in free agency I think he will be pretty humbled in what the market is for a 30 year old safety coming off of two injuries.

Atleast whatever happens we know that Earl will be playing out of his mind this season

I was saying it all offseason that a 3rd is all we'd get.

1) Draft picks are more valuable than ever.
2) Earl Thomas is approaching 30.
3) Earl Thomas had a major injury.
4) Some are questioning his passion for the game after the comments about retirement and wanting to play for the Boys.
5) It was one of the deepest S/CB drafts in recent years.
6) There was a solid S free agent market.
7) He is not cheap for the remaining year.
8) He's a free agent in 2019 and will look for a big contract.

Now you may get a compensatory pick in return, but that's 2 drafts away, and the best you get is a 3rd rounder at the end... A 3rd rounder now is basically worth a 5th in 2 years (1 degrade for a pick) so it's not like whatever team trades now is getting a super bargain.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, Seattle has all the bargaining power here. Worst comes to worst, you keep him and look at trading him after this year. If Dallas actually figures they're a playoff team, and safety is their achilles heel, then the pressure is all on them.

A third isn't enough for Earl.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its possibly a team steps up and offers something for the 2019 draft as we get closer to the season starting.

if not, sign him long term. i really dont like the idea of letting him walk so that we can MAYBE get a late 3rd round pick.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still hearing rumblings about a possible trade with the Cowboys for Earl Thomas. I hope it doesn't happen because he's been such a great player for us on but on the other hand it's a business and I personally think we should at least gauge them for whatever picks we can get in return for ET.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still hearing rumblings about a possible trade with the Cowboys for Earl Thomas. I hope it doesn't happen because he's been such a great player for us on but on the other hand it's a business and I personally think we should at least gauge them for whatever picks we can get in return for ET.

I'd give him his final contract to retire a Hawk. He's a special talent, club leader and mentor the young kids. I saw first hand when the Eagles rid of Brian Dawkins who's the same type of person ET is. Dawk still had a couple more productive years in Denver and Philly struggled to replace him for years. Philly brass admitted they screwed that up and wished they had that one back.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give him his final contract to retire a Hawk. He's a special talent, club leader and mentor the young kids. I saw first hand when the Eagles rid of Brian Dawkins who's the same type of person ET is. Dawk still had a couple more productive years in Denver and Philly struggled to replace him for years. Philly brass admitted they screwed that up and wished they had that one back.

If they were smart that's what they'd do with him. Pay the man what he wants and be done with it

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's been a vital part to our success in the secondary and he deserves to be paid. I don't care what we have to give up to keep Thomas here just make it happen Mr Schneider.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been a vital part to our success in the secondary and he deserves to be paid. I don't care what we have to give up to keep Thomas here just make it happen Mr Schneider.
I'd liked to see him resigned if the terms are right.
Let's not act as if he hasn't been paid well. Think when the last contract was signed it was record for his position.
Thus far third contract s have not worked out well. Keep that mind.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd liked to see him resigned if the terms are right.
Let's not act as if he hasn't been paid well. Think when the last contract was signed it was record for his position.
Thus far third contract s have not worked out well. Keep that mind.

He's one of the best players at his position. We gotta get him resigned no matter what it takes.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a cornerstone of our secondary we need him back
He is a important part of the defense. He still very good, but his best days are behind him and in a a year or two he’s going to really start declining. Typically players know the third contract is the last big one and teams know that more often then not the player doesn’t live up to $ thru the length of the third contract.
So if the Seahawks can get decent terms, yes resign him, if not don’t. In any case he’s going to need to be replaced either immediately ( which isn’t ideal ) or in a year or two. Hope the Seahawks don’t screw the future by writing a blank check based on Thomas play in his prime. That’s just not smart at all.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a important part of the defense. He still very good, but his best days are behind him and in a a year or two he’s going to really start declining. Typically players know the third contract is the last big one and teams know that more often then not the player doesn’t live up to $ thru the length of the third contract.
So if the Seahawks can get decent terms, yes resign him, if not don’t. In any case he’s going to need to be replaced either immediately ( which isn’t ideal ) or in a year or two. Hope the Seahawks don’t screw the future by writing a blank check based on Thomas play in his prime. That’s just not smart at all.

The front office people know that Earl Thomas is beginning to show his age. That's why they got fresh young talent waiting in the wings. They may not live up to being the new Legion of Boom but I still believe they'll still be very good on the back end.