• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coyote ugly!!!

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This story is really starting to gain momentum. Both sides have used choice words to describe the action of one-another. The city of Glendale is bound and determined to break their lease with the coyotes even though there is still at least three years remaining on the contract. By the end of the day, the coyotes could be without a den. More information will become available later today.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move em to US Airways center or Talking stick

or whatever it's called now

I've always hated that Glendale location and it fucked the city financially too

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move em to US Airways center or Talking stick

or whatever it's called now

I've always hated that Glendale location and it fucked the city financially too

From the sound of it, this could be the coyotes way out of Glendale. Whether that be America west or another city. In terms of the immediate, the team will still likely get to play at the arena this season. It would have to take a serious breach of agreement for either side of the deal to be severed. After that, who knows...

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point... I am 90% sure the Yotes are outta AZ within the next 5 years

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point... I am 90% sure the Yotes are outta AZ within the next 5 years

U.S. Airways or a stadium in Scottsdale are the only options in Arizona. I personally believe America west is the only option. If that doesn't pan out, they are gone as soon as a stadium is finished in Vegas or Seattle. Robert Sarver of the suns is going to be asking for some compensation over the next few years so everything is up in the air right now.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U.S. Airways or a stadium in Scottsdale are the only options in Arizona. I personally believe America west is the only option. If that doesn't pan out, they are gone as soon as a stadium is finished in Vegas or Seattle. Robert Sarver of the suns is going to be asking for some compensation over the next few years so everything is up in the air right now.
I really feel like a stadium in Scottsdale would succeed, especially with the "talent we have coming up". I put that in quotes because I have been hearing about our young talent for like 10 years now and all we have to show for it is Ekman-Larson and Hanzel.

Those Roenick and tkachuk days were awesome with Newmanen on D and the Wall in net!

People rip the desert and say a hockey team could never succeed here but I think if we had some sustained success over 5 years or so we'd get the backing needed, Just because of all the transplants here in the valley who love hockey and the youth hockey in the state isn't too shabby. Not to mention ASU hockey is damn good.

Glendale fucked us + ownership problems

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with you. I we were to have consistent play/playoff success of a short period of time, this town would envelop a deep love for hockey. Like you said, poor location mixed with an ownership debacle has created a flippant passivity for hockey in phoenix. The key is to make the game available to the masses. Bring it to the east side and see where it goes.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talent you speak if is there. You will see a lot of it next year. It seems like hockey/baseball players take the longest to groom before they hit the majors. Teams get them so young that we have to wait 3-5 years before they make the grade.

Those glory days were a blast! The playoff atmosphere was electric. We are just a few pieces away from being there again. I hope I get to see it in phoenix..,

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda sad considering they will be one of the best teams 5 years from now, which really could bring a ton of fans to the games.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The final vote was 5 for yay and 2 for nay. Coyotes will likely file an injunction as early as tomorrow. This could be the beginning of the end...

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could ride out their three years there. Glendale can't just walk away from a contract like that without there being some sort of breach by the Coyotes.

Everyone saw this coming. Hockey is not football. You could put the Cardinals in Casa Grande and people would come. Coyotes downtown or Scottsdale makes sense. Anywhere else...not so much.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could ride out their three years there. Glendale can't just walk away from a contract like that without there being some sort of breach by the Coyotes.

Everyone saw this coming. Hockey is not football. You could put the Cardinals in Casa Grande and people would come. Coyotes downtown or Scottsdale makes sense. Anywhere else...not so much.

That's what it comes down to . The deal was not feasible for either side but both agreed to the deal. They will most assuredly play the next season at Gila but after that is speculation. The financial ramifications are going to be tremendous for both parties. In terms of good faith, I don't think this schism can be repaired. It will be a long wait-and-see period.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talent you speak if is there. You will see a lot of it next year. It seems like hockey/baseball players take the longest to groom before they hit the majors. Teams get them so young that we have to wait 3-5 years before they make the grade.

Those glory days were a blast! The playoff atmosphere was electric. We are just a few pieces away from being there again. I hope I get to see it in phoenix..,
The White Outs are awesome. The hockey fans are here. I don't buy that hockey in the desert bullshit. It just got poorly run, going back to when Gretzky fucked this franchise over.

Would love to see them play downtown and see how that affects attendance.

Us fans have been dragged through the mud too long with the ownership issues and lack of money put into the team. Really a shame.

I know Phx is a much better place then Vegas for a team.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go to maybe one game a year in Glendale to see the Yotes. Assuming they were competitive, I'd probably see 5-10 games a year downtown.

Contract issues aside (yes, I know how dumb that sounds)...is there actual interest at a venue downtown? We all say how great it would be, but you never see anything about whether the arena is a viable option or something realistic.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go to maybe one game a year in Glendale to see the Yotes. Assuming they were competitive, I'd probably see 5-10 games a year downtown.

Contract issues aside (yes, I know how dumb that sounds)...is there actual interest at a venue downtown? We all say how great it would be, but you never see anything about whether the arena is a viable option or something realistic.

There is heavy interest by the general public and local government. Whether it happens or not is still in the embryonic stages. A decision would be several months away. It sounds like the only viable option to keep the coyotes long-term is joining forces downtown or building a new stadium in Scottsdale/east valley. Glendale is out of the question.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this renegotiated deal! The team gets to collect more hockey related revenue and this city doesn't have to pay back as much annually. The key was to get rid of the 5 year back out clause. This enabled the coyotes to start negotiating with other sites for relocation as soon as they put down the pen. Expect these next two years to be the last in Glendale.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Management said "they were looking to make a sign and trade deal" but the guy didn't like the uncertainty of the franchise. I can't remember who it was and I can't find the article. Boddy's agent said flat out that they were only going to sign for one year because of the instability of the franchise.

Those are just the players. I have yet to hear about any of the financial partners backing out or declining to renew their contracts.