• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can this wait until we sign him to a 7 x 7 ?

lol - Nope and TJ Brodie is signed to a pretty cheap contract as well. I really don't want to see the Flames trade him either, I think the current coaching staff has wrecked his confidence.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nylander for TJ Brodie at the entry draft.
Lol you're smarter than that dash Burke is coming for Matt Martin and gritty Polak before he signs Tyler Bozak to a fat contract in free agency.

If Nylander went there he'd wind up playing 4th line scab minutes like another skilled centre who was around when Burke and his friend Randy were present.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol you're smarter than that dash Burke is coming for Matt Martin and gritty Polak before he signs Tyler Bozak to a fat contract in free agency.

If Nylander went there he'd wind up playing 4th line scab minutes like another skilled centre who was around when Burke and his friend Randy were present.

who-hurt-you-bbb-who.jpg

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know this is for the offseason. But the next 4 weeks will need a lotta filler.

Is it crazy for me to think that it will be relatively easy for the Leafs to sing Johnny T? From a cap perspective of course.

Per capfriendly.com the Leafs right now have 16 contracts at a total cap hit of $49,770,833. This includes Horton ($5.3M which will go to LTIR) but does not include the $1.2M retained in the Kessel deal. 9 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies.

Using a projected cap of $75M, that leaves $25,229,167 (ignoring Horton) of space for 7 bodies. Nylander will use a chunk for sure ($7M say). If you give JT $10M say, you still have a little over $8M for the remaining 5 contracts, many of which I expect to fill from the Marlies (Liljegren, Aaltonen, Johnsson, etc) at just under $1M per. And you still have Horton's LTIR. And there is probably money to resign JVR, but maybe not.

If the Leafs can replace Bozak with JT, I will be a happy happy fan.

/yes I know it does nothing to improve the D. But who will be available in free agency worth signing?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know this is for the offseason. But the next 4 weeks will need a lotta filler.

Is it crazy for me to think that it will be relatively easy for the Leafs to sing Johnny T? From a cap perspective of course.

Per capfriendly.com the Leafs right now have 16 contracts at a total cap hit of $49,770,833. This includes Horton ($5.3M which will go to LTIR) but does not include the $1.2M retained in the Kessel deal. 9 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies.

Using a projected cap of $75M, that leaves $25,229,167 (ignoring Horton) of space for 7 bodies. Nylander will use a chunk for sure ($7M say). If you give JT $10M say, you still have a little over $8M for the remaining 5 contracts, many of which I expect to fill from the Marlies (Liljegren, Aaltonen, Johnsson, etc) at just under $1M per. And you still have Horton's LTIR. And there is probably money to resign JVR, but maybe not.

/yes I know it does nothing to improve the D. But who will be available in free agency worth signing?
They can make it work. It gets tight once Auston and Marner's extensions come into play and you'd almost have to hit big on at least one of Liljegren or Rasanen becoming a top pair d-man but they can make it work.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do things look the next season though? There are a couple more guys who are gonna need raises and I don't think Tavares is going to sign a one year deal :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's still doable, especially if Tavares signs for only $10 mil (I'll be fairly shocked if he's not offered more than that).

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you've got Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner up front I think you can make it work. Hell, it's basically what Pittsburgh has been doing to win the last two Cups. And I don't know about you, but I want some of that Cup stuff! :wink:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can make it work. It gets tight once Auston and Marner's extensions come into play and you'd almost have to hit big on at least one of Liljegren or Rasanen becoming a top pair d-man but they can make it work.
How do things look the next season though? There are a couple more guys who are gonna need raises and I don't think Tavares is going to sign a one year deal :wink:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's still doable, especially if Tavares signs for only $10 mil (I'll be fairly shocked if he's not offered more than that).
If you've got Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner up front I think you can make it work. Hell, it's basically what Pittsburgh has been doing to win the last two Cups. And I don't know about you, but I want some of that Cup stuff! :wink:

All of this. Especially

I want some of that Cup stuff! :wink:

Sure 2019-2020 is a bit tight, but by then Marleau will be vacationing on Robidas Island. That will help !

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this. Especially

Sure 2019-2020 is a bit tight, but by then Marleau will be vacationing on Robidas Island. That will help !

The guy hasn't missed a game in almost a decade though... I don't share your optimism regarding the future of our highest paid player.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been okay but they really could've used some production from him while Auston's been getting recharged with god fuel. Marner really stepped up.

Marner hasn't been asked to play C, and I am not seeing a whole lot (yet) that suggests Nylander will ever be an elite C in this league. I love him as a winger though.

Nylander hasn't been creating scoring opportunities, but I wonder how much of that is the wingers he is playing with. If we have some games to play with, I would prefer trying either Leivo or Kapanen instead of Brown for a few games on that line.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marner hasn't been asked to play C, and I am not seeing a whole lot (yet) that suggests Nylander will ever be an elite C in this league. I love him as a winger though.

Nylander hasn't been creating scoring opportunities, but I wonder how much of that is the wingers he is playing with. If we have some games to play with, I would prefer trying either Leivo or Kapanen instead of Brown for a few games on that line.
I love him as Matthews' winger.

I think he's left a lot to be desired when he's been apart from Matthews.