• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Columbus Crew owner threatening move to Austin

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the scummy fucker never had intentions of keeping the Crew in CBus. His contract when he bought the team back in 2013 stated he couldn't move the team for 10 years, but a clause was included saying unless that move was to Austin.

Like the case with the Sonics, Rams, ect.. he's been shady with his "negotiations" with the city. The classic "i want a stadium but they wont give it to me" while doing fuck all to actually get a stadium deal done.

It also explains why he signed one of the worst TV contracts in 2014, effectively making the team unwatchable in the region. He signed a deal to only show it on Time Wrners sports channel (which I'd be willing to guess less than 25% of residents use or pay for that channel) PLUS, he had the games blacked out on MLSlive (or whatever its called) in a 75 mile radius of the stadium. Absolute weasel, scum bag.

Add in the fact he does zero advertising here and doesn't set up a healthy relationship with Ohio State (you could bus in students with cheap tix and beer) shows how much he cares. The jizz receptacle still lives in San Fransico, owns no place in CBus, and comes to virtually zero games.

---

I was saying it after the USMNT embarrassment and I'll say it again now. FUCK the MLS.

---

I know most of you never cared to begin with, but my disgust for this league reaches heights not even the NFL has touched. I've never watched a bunch of games, but the league doesn't give you much reason to.

It's a money grabbing joke that will NEVER compete with the major European leagues under its current model. And sadly I don't think they want to. If they actually cared about product on the field and fan interest, they wouldn't be giving out teams for 150million. They wouldn't be a single entity league. They'd have a proper promotion/relegation setup.

Anyways, here are some articles if you're interested reading on the topic:

https://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617

https://deadspin.com/columbus-crew-...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Columbus Crew fans revolt against team's terrible new television deal

Reactions: gob

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have sports relations with tOSU changed in the last 20 years? I read Chill Factor, a book about the Blue Jackets and the Buckeyes were pretty big cock suckers to them back in the day. I can't imagine them playing well with a soccer team.

Sucks for a long term MLS team though. Is Mapfre stadium that big of a dump?

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have sports relations with tOSU changed in the last 20 years? I read Chill Factor, a book about the Blue Jackets and the Buckeyes were pretty big cock suckers to them back in the day. I can't imagine them playing well with a soccer team.

Jackets and OSU have a great relationship now. Crew has made no efforts to market the team on campus or even in its own city, let alone across the state.

The stadium is literally just bleachers and a scoreboard set up around a pitch, but there are teams literally playing on baseball and football fields, so the commish is just full of shit blaming the stadium.

Not sure if the public would help fund a downtown stadium here, but we were never even asked.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackets and OSU have a great relationship now. Crew has made no efforts to market the team on campus or even in its own city, let alone across the state.

The stadium is literally just bleachers and a scoreboard set up around a pitch, but there are teams literally playing on baseball and football fields, so the commish is just full of shit blaming the stadium.

Not sure if the public would help fund a downtown stadium here, but we were never even asked.

Yea, I've been to Minnesota United game at TCF Bank Stadium and it is complete shit. So I can get that the atmosphere can suck if the stadium sucks. On the same token, before Minnesota played in MLS, they played in Blaine, MN which is essentially a high school style field with some pop up bleachers on the sides. But those games were awesome in terms of atmosphere.

I'm just shocked at Austin in all of this, because they weren't even on the expansion radar. Doesn't surprise me at all that a scumbag would be allowed to buy into the MLS. The MLS's business model from the beginning has been complete horseshit.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like Sgt said, the Crew doesn't/didn't (to my knowledge) market very well to campus. The stadium isn't the best,and it's not in the best area...I would prefer a downtown stadium. However, it's right next to campus. They could easily offer really cheap tickets/plans for them to fill seats. You hear so many more CBJ, Clippers(minor league baseball), and men's basketball advertisements than Crew, so the marketing kind of blows.

I find it hilarious that he wants such a downtown presence, but he's going to build like 10 miles north of downtown Austin...what a fucking dick, haha.