• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Carousel

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches don't care about what happened. They all promise to clean things up and keep winning. It's never failed.

I mean, it works both ways. Sometimes, sanctions scare off potential coaches, sometimes they don't.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack to Louisville, means that there is a decent chance Xavier hires Pat Kelsey.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it works both ways. Sometimes, sanctions scare off potential coaches, sometimes they don't.
I think if it's a money program (read that: P5/6) then a coach who can rise above it will likely ignore those little annoyances like strippers and rental cars. But we know one size doesn't fit all. But sanctions is different from just having dirty fingernails. So yeah, if I were a coach looking at a big-time job, I probably wouldn't go after it if the program was not likely to get any TV time. In Louisville's case, the NCAA threw some whitewash on it and will be content to let it die quietly.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if it's a money program (read that: P5/6) then a coach who can rise above it will likely ignore those little annoyances like strippers and rental cars. But we know one size doesn't fit all. But sanctions is different from just having dirty fingernails. So yeah, if I were a coach looking at a big-time job, I probably wouldn't go after it if the program was not likely to get any TV time. In Louisville's case, the NCAA threw some whitewash on it and will be content to let it die quietly.

Louisville has tons of cash, but they aren't just going to get a slap on the wrist from the NCAA. They're deeply connected to the FBI investigation, and they're already on probation from the stripper scandal.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville has tons of cash, but they aren't just going to get a slap on the wrist from the NCAA. They're deeply connected to the FBI investigation, and they're already on probation from the stripper scandal.
The FBI thing has me intrigued. I don't know if the FBI much cares about banners, so somebody has convinced Mack that he can endure it. Unless a gran-dass salary is all he cares about.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, but I wasn't sure if a coach like Mack would want to go through the rebuilding process. He had a pretty good thing going at Xavier.
Power 5 football money speaks loud! Schools like Xavier don't have that. Gotta get it somewhere else if you are going to compete.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Power 5 football money speaks loud! Schools like Xavier don't have that. Gotta get it somewhere else if you are going to compete.

Someone tell this to Jay Wright. Or Mark Few. Or Gregg Marshall. Only three names. I'm not sure there are many more. Football money is important, I agree.

My entire post meant that I thought Mack was someone like those three guys. I am not denying the influence that football money has on schools.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone tell this to Jay Wright. Or Mark Few. Or Gregg Marshall. Only three names. I'm not sure there are many more. Football money is important, I agree.

My entire post meant that I thought Mack was someone like those three guys. I am not denying the influence that football money has on schools.
Football money is a separate grocery store, sort of, if your football team isn't going 0-12. Successful football programs generate a lot of alumni money that gets spread around campus. In that respect, the basketball programs that are not in conferences with football money coming in are always one or maybe two bad seasons away from having to wait on a CIT invitation.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack is a good coach but 7 years is ridiculous.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would have been better for Louisville to hire Mark Few from Gonzaga. Surely he's tired of being a big fish in a small pond (ACC>WCC).

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would have been better for Louisville to hire Mark Few from Gonzaga. Surely he's tired of being a big fish in a small pond (ACC>WCC).

It doesn't seem like it.

Dude has had offers before.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he just missed out on a chance to be in the same conference as Coach K, Boeheim, and Roy Williams, and also he is keeping names like alum John Stockton from becoming the HC at Gonzaga.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzaga rumored moving to the Mountain West, which is a little better conference.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm one that thinks guys like the three you mentioned are above leaving their current jobs just for the money. They are still well paid and prefer their current situation as better than being a bottom dweller of a P5 just for the money.

I also read somewhere that Brad Stevens had said exactly what happened with him. If he were to be lured by money it would be to the pros instead of a difficult P5 job.