• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Carousel

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Prosser, son of Skip, is going to be Western Carolina's new coach.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess an apology to Jeff Goodman is in order. I thought he was insane when he suggested that top coaches were still interested in Louisville, despite the turmoil.

Still got lots of money, great facilities and the ACC.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still got lots of money, great facilities and the ACC.

I assumed they were going to get hammered by the NCAA, but who knows.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assumed they were going to get hammered by the NCAA, but who knows.
They probably will but that gives the new coach leverage for more money and a longer contract.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably will but that gives the new coach leverage for more money and a longer contract.

You're right, but I wasn't sure if a coach like Mack would want to go through the rebuilding process. He had a pretty good thing going at Xavier.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many teams are lining up for Loyola's coach?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate Oats interviewing at Pitt.

That is an A hire.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools like Butler and Xavier will always be a stepping stone school.

It's the program and the boosters that are important, not the coach.

Although I'll admit Brad Stevens was a stud.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools like Butler and Xavier will always be a stepping stone school.

It's the program and the boosters that are important, not the coach.

Although I'll admit Brad Stevens was a stud.
They don’t have the budgets to keep the coaches and honestly never will. However the coach does matter otherwise your recruiting will eventually tank and the players won’t be ready to play. As an Auburn fan I can promise you the coach matters.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess an apology to Jeff Goodman is in order. I thought he was insane when he suggested that top coaches were still interested in Louisville, despite the turmoil.
Coaches don't care about what happened. They all promise to clean things up and keep winning. It's never failed.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don’t have the budgets to keep the coaches and honestly never will. However the coach does matter otherwise your recruiting will eventually tank and the players won’t be ready to play. As an Auburn fan I can promise you the coach matters.

Xavier has been a good program for a long time and has a history of passing on its coaches to bigger DI schools.

Mack wasn't too bad, but he wasn't great either.

He had a #1 and a #2 seed and wasn't able to advance past the first weekend either time.

If I'm a big time school, I'm waiting for the guy from Loyola. He took them from last place in the HORIZON LEAGUE to the final 4 in 6 years.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Xavier has been a good program for a long time and has a history of passing on its coaches to bigger DI schools.

Mack wasn't too bad, but he wasn't great either.

He had a #1 and a #2 seed and wasn't able to advance past the first weekend either time.
Your comments infer that you believe that Xavier could continue to be a successful program no matter who the coach is and I simply don’t think that is true. A HC is extremely critical hire and continued success is never guaranteed. Make a bad hire and your program can slide back 5 even 10 years. There are countless examples of this in pretty much all sports.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your comments infer that you believe that Xavier could continue to be a successful program no matter who the coach is and I simply don’t think that is true. A HC is extremely critical hire and continued success is never guaranteed. Make a bad hire and your program can slide back 5 even 10 years. There are countless examples of this in pretty much all sports.

If they make a really bad hire that goes against their grain, it could set them back. But other than that, the program is really solid, and for a smaller private school, they are able to pay their coach a lot.

USA TODAY Sports

Xavier is different than your Auburns and Clemsons. They have a consistent culture of winning basketball and a lot of fan support and no football program to compete with. They're going to hire someone who keeps that culture intact.

With Auburn, they don't have anything established. The right hire could elevate them to the next Florida basketball, and the wrong hire could make them Pitt basketball. I think there's a difference.