• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

clogged dip tube

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I kegged my IIPA last week, went to pull a pint yesterday, nothing.

My "out" line seems to be clogged with particles left over from dry hopping. Anyone encountered this before? is there a quick fix short of racking it to a different keg, and filtering out the particles?

I tried hooking the gas line up to the beer line and forcing gas through that way, worked for about half a pint worth, then it clogged back up

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I kegged my IIPA last week, went to pull a pint yesterday, nothing.

My "out" line seems to be clogged with particles left over from dry hopping. Anyone encountered this before? is there a quick fix short of racking it to a different keg, and filtering out the particles?

I tried hooking the gas line up to the beer line and forcing gas through that way, worked for about half a pint worth, then it clogged back up

I was going to suggest that. But if that didn't work as far as I know, yeah, rack and filter. If you are going to dry hop with whole hops, a hop bag is probably in order. Wait. Did you dry hop in the keg you are serving from?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to suggest that. But if that didn't work as far as I know, yeah, rack and filter. If you are going to dry hop with whole hops, a hop bag is probably in order. Wait. Did you dry hop in the keg you are serving from?

no, dry hopped in the secondary. always forget to use a hop bag for my dry hopping, but it's never caused a problem before....but I dry hopped with a lot more than what I typically do for this one

tried to avoid getting much of it in the keg when I was racking it, but I guess enough came through after all

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Instead of using a hop bag when I dry hopped, I did so in a carboy, I sanitized a paint strainer bag and rubberband and put that over the end of my racking cane. Worked out really well.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of using a hop bag when I dry hopped, I did so in a carboy, I sanitized a paint strainer bag and rubberband and put that over the end of my racking cane. Worked out really well.

that's a good idea, I don't know why I didn't think to put a strainer on my siphon. I've got a funnel with a strainer in it, but I don't like using it when kegging, cause I don't want to aerate it too much on the way into the keg

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
finally got around to fixing this one last night.

ended up siphoning it from the keg into my bottling bucket (still have beer left in my second keg). Cleaned out the dip tube, dumped the rest of the muck from the keg, cleaned, and racked back into the keg...flowing smooth now, but still needs a little more carb time

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, dry hopped in the secondary. always forget to use a hop bag for my dry hopping, but it's never caused a problem before....but I dry hopped with a lot more than what I typically do for this one

tried to avoid getting much of it in the keg when I was racking it, but I guess enough came through after all

Do you use any fining agents in the fermenter (biofine, gelatin, etc.)? I would absolutely recommend you do that for dry-hopped beers. It's good to clarify other beers as well, but I would call it necessary in a dry-hopped beer.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I typically use irish moss in my beers

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santa brought me my first 5 gallon Corny with some lines/disconnects for Christmas. Getting a tank and regulator in the next couple weeks. No more (or at least a lot less) fucking bottling!!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santa brought me my first 5 gallon Corny with some lines/disconnects for Christmas. Getting a tank and regulator in the next couple weeks. No more (or at least a lot less) fucking bottling!!

excited.gif

so much better than bottling