• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clippers fined for tampering because of Doc Rivers' analysis

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly - and Rivers knew exactly what he was doing and he knew he would get fined for it, that 50,000 dollars is small compared to Magic Johnson having to pay $500,000 and now Leonard knows that the Clippers are willing to pay to get him. That fine was well worth it to have a shot at Leonard

Magic didn't get the Lakers the $500,000 fine. Pelinka did. He was found to have contacted PG's agent after the Lakers had been warned because of Magic's Kimmel appearance.

It may have been an honest mistake on Pelinka's part because as an agent he could talk to other agents any time he wanted. But he's not an agent anymore.

Intentional or otherwise, what he did is considered actual tampering and the Lakers had already been warned. So they deserved the fine whether it was an honest mistake or not.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic didn't get the Lakers the $500,000 fine. Pelinka did. He was found to have contacted PG's agent after the Lakers had been warned because of Magic's Kimmel appearance.

It may have been an honest mistake on Pelinka's part because as an agent he could talk to other agents any time he wanted. But he's not an agent anymore.

Intentional or otherwise, what he did is considered actual tampering and the Lakers had already been warned. So they deserved the fine whether it was an honest mistake or not.
No argument on the Lakere deserving the fine, I'm just saying if the Lakers get fined then the Clippers have to be fined and they deserved it

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Magic said more. What Doc said was basically an analysis of Kawhi's game. The Lakers were warned after Magic's comments about PG on the Kimmel show. Then, he complimented Giannis' game so the league fined him.

It's pretty weak that they got fined for Magic assessing Giannis' game and saying he deserved to be an all-star...but the Lakers had already been warned.
They both deserved to fine as far as I'm concerned

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument on the Lakere deserving the fine, I'm just saying if the Lakers get fined then the Clippers have to be fined and they deserved it

I disagree. I don't think they should be fined. Doc was asked to give an analysis of Kawhi's game. That's what he did.

Had he made a comment about how he'd love to coach him, or how well he would fit on the Clippers...then they would deserve a fine. But not for giving an analysis of his game.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I don't think they should be fined. Doc was asked to give an analysis of Kawhi's game. That's what he did.

Had he made a comment about how he'd love to coach him, or how well he would fit on the Clippers...then they would deserve a fine. But not for giving an analysis of his game.

It was obvious AF, Rivers was laying it on thick in order to get Kawhi’s attention, he was acting like a nerdy school kid with a crush on the head cheerleader. He wouldn’t be gushing so much if he didn’t want him so desperately on his team. Silver saw Rivers erection was too strong and acted accordingly. Rivers has no right to gain advantage over another team just because he was allowed a platform.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was obvious AF, Rivers was laying it on thick in order to get Kawhi’s attention, he was acting like a nerdy school kid with a crush on the head cheerleader. He wouldn’t be gushing so much if he didn’t want him so desperately on his team. Silver saw Rivers erection was too strong and acted accordingly. Rivers has no right to gain advantage over another team just because he was allowed a platform.

I honestly doubt that Doc would say anything different if Kawhi had no interest in the Clips. Every coach in the league would say very similar things to what Doc said if they were asked.

Like I said, if he started talking about how well he would fit with the Clippers or something, then yeah, that would be tampering or damn close. But he gave an analysis that wasn't anywhere close to out of line with what anyone else would say.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doc did the same thing the Lakers did. Magic talked about a player and boom. They knew better

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc did the same thing the Lakers did. Magic talked about a player and boom. They knew better

Magic did more than just give an analysis of PG's game that everyone else would give as well.

Magic did that whole "Ya know, we might see each other on the street and I'll be like "Hey" and he'll be like "Hey"...nonsense.

That's what got the Lakers in trouble.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly doubt that Doc would say anything different if Kawhi had no interest in the Clips. Every coach in the league would say very similar things to what Doc said if they were asked.

Like I said, if he started talking about how well he would fit with the Clippers or something, then yeah, that would be tampering or damn close. But he gave an analysis that wasn't anywhere close to out of line with what anyone else would say.

Even if you believe that (I don't), it still is an unfair advantage for him to have that platform to express his feelings in a manner that could lure Kawhi to the Clippers when other teams don't. There's a time that the NBA has already aside for this type of stuff, Rivers needs to use that time, and not do it when other teams can't.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you believe that (I don't), it still is an unfair advantage for him to have that platform to express his feelings in a manner that could lure Kawhi to the Clippers when other teams don't. There's a time that the NBA has already aside for this type of stuff, Rivers needs to use that time, and not do it when other teams can't.

What coach wouldn't say many of the same things that Doc did?

He can't control the questions he's asked. He can only control his answer and his answer was no different than any other coach would have answered.

Just don't see how it's out of line. He didn't even do the Magic "wink, wink, nod, nod" thing and that was barely tampering.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What coach wouldn't say many of the same things that Doc did?

He can't control the questions he's asked. He can only control his answer and his answer was no different than any other coach would have answered.

Just don't see how it's out of line. He didn't even do the Magic "wink, wink, nod, nod" thing and that was barely tampering.

Rivers knows the rules. He's been a GM. He's seen people fined for similar actions. Kawhi is one of the most coveted free agents, it's no secret. Rivers should know his words are going to be scrutinized. When he basically said Kawhi is one of the greatest players ever that was a bit of hyperbole especially when you're comparing players in the GOAT conversation to Kawhi who has just one championship under his belt. It's pretty clear that hyperbole crossed the line for Sliver as well it should. That amount of flattery isn't just meant to analyze but to entice Kawhi.

Last edited:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'd like now.

A coach can't compliment an opposing player now?

While I thought that the Lakers warning and then fine for tampering were barely deserved (Magic went a little past just complimenting a player). Fining the Clippers for this is ridiculous.

Either allow a coach to give an honest analysis of a player when asked, or stop having them do interviews and fining them if they don't want to be interviewed.

Seems like the NBA's tampering rule is somewhat arbitrary and not very clearly defined.
Never could for only one reason I can think of. It would be too easy for coaches to start recruiting players with compliments like that - I think it has some validity to it.

I am going to add that most of the time as in 95% of the time - it's a bit harsh or seems like it to tell the coaches not to say anything, but it's like letting your nine year daughter start wearing make up and questionable clothing - Once it gets started, it will get out of control and eventually you have your children arguing with you over the boundaries. So why let it get started when you know it won't end well. These coaches are far worse than any nine year children imo

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
source.gif

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers knows the rules. He's been a GM. He's seen people fined for similar actions. Kawhi is one of the most coveted free agents, it's no secret. Rivers should know his words are going to be scrutinized. When he basically said Kawhi is one of the greatest players ever that was a bit of hyperbole especially when you're comparing players in the GOAT conversation to Kawhi who has just one championship under his belt. It's pretty clear that hyperbole crossed the line for Sliver as well it should. That amount of flattery isn't just meant to analyze but to entice Kawhi.

I hadn't seen the circumstances when he made the comments about Kawhi and thought he had been asked a question by a reporter.

Then I saw yesterday that his comments came as an analyst on an NBA finals preview show on ESPN.

To me, that makes the fine even more lame. He was being paid to give analysis on the teams and players in the finals. Kawhi is one of those players.

If the NBA doesn't want coaches talking about players, then they need to not allow the to be hired as analysts.

That, or monitor the comments and if what they are saying is out of line with what others say...fine them. If not, leave them alone.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't seen the circumstances when he made the comments about Kawhi and thought he had been asked a question by a reporter.

Then I saw yesterday that his comments came as an analyst on an NBA finals preview show on ESPN.

To me, that makes the fine even more lame. He was being paid to give analysis on the teams and players in the finals. Kawhi is one of those players.

If the NBA doesn't want coaches talking about players, then they need to not allow the to be hired as analysts.

That, or monitor the comments and if what they are saying is out of line with what others say...fine them. If not, leave them alone.

Need not allow? That is on the team and the coach. They have to know better, not rely on the NBA to police every interview or panel discussion and tell them what they can't say or participate in.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need not allow? That is on the team and the coach. They have to know better, not rely on the NBA to police every interview or panel discussion and tell them what they can't say or participate in.

I disagree. The NBA are the one's that determine what constitutes tampering. I don't remember any coaches being fined for tampering for complimenting another teams player in the past. Especially when they are in a setting like the one Doc was in when he made his comments.

If he started talking about how much he'd like to coach Kawhi, or said something about how he be a great fit with the Clippers (or even the wink, wink, nod, nod) that Magic did on Kimmel...then sure, fine him.

But not for an analysis that he was hired to give and that wasn't over the top compared to what others say.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The NBA are the one's that determine what constitutes tampering. I don't remember any coaches being fined for tampering for complimenting another teams player in the past. Especially when they are in a setting like the one Doc was in when he made his comments.

If he started talking about how much he'd like to coach Kawhi, or said something about how he be a great fit with the Clippers (or even the wink, wink, nod, nod) that Magic did on Kimmel...then sure, fine him.

But not for an analysis that he was hired to give and that wasn't over the top compared to what others say.

He knows what he can and cannot say. If you think he was completely innocent in his flattery of their main free agency target, I have a bridge to sell you.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knows what he can and cannot say. If you think he was completely innocent in his flattery of their main free agency target, I have a bridge to sell you.

I'm not saying he was completely innocent, I'm saying that he didn't say anything out of line and he was hired to give analysis of the teams and players in the finals. Kawhi is one of those players.

And I don't honestly think the coaches know what they can say. Magic didn't get fined for the comments on Kimmel, which were a lot closer to actual tampering than what Doc said. He got warned.

What if the same comments were made by the coach of a team that no one is speculating that Kawhi is going to? What if Steve Kerr starts talking about what a great player Kawhi is and how much trouble he's giving the Warriors? Do you really think they get fined?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he was completely innocent, I'm saying that he didn't say anything out of line and he was hired to give analysis of the teams and players in the finals. Kawhi is one of those players.

And I don't honestly think the coaches know what they can say. Magic didn't get fined for the comments on Kimmel, which were a lot closer to actual tampering than what Doc said. He got warned.

What if the same comments were made by the coach of a team that no one is speculating that Kawhi is going to? What if Steve Kerr starts talking about what a great player Kawhi is and how much trouble he's giving the Warriors? Do you really think they get fined?

Let's be honest, Magic is a special case. He's used to talking about anyone and everyone, as he never had a role that could be accused of tampering previously.

Kerr would likely get a warning, but his team has no path to signing Kawhi, so it can't really be tampering.