• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Expanse

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you love stories that challenge your assumptions & beliefs in a way that is both tragic and exhilarating...

From 10-11pm, is SciFi's inaugural episode of their new space opera series THE EXPANSE, which -it turns out- can be viewed online now, here:

The Expanse

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the premier for expanse on demand... It seemed ok... Kind of missed parts so I will watch it again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: H2S

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The source material for 'The Expanse' is really solid too. James SA Corey is a pen name, for two authors, including widely respected fantasy author Daniel Abraham.

Sweeping space opera, with fairly decent science, although it is by no means 'hard' sci-fi.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious as to why Expanse is 'meh' worthy?

I'd encourage people to give it a bigger chance. It's VERY GOT like in the depth of the political/power structure/conflict areas, so it will take a while to figure out who all the players are.

I've jumped ahead online, and EP 2-4 are definitely less 'meet the characters slow pace' and more action.

Sy Fy, or whomever else should be applauded for at least attempting to adapt good source material that's going to require large budgets.

Will it be a home-run? Dunno, but it'd be sad if it's not given a shot to develop an audience.

Childhood's End is nice n' all, but it IS a miniseries, right? 3 episodes?

Totally different ballgame.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let it be reiterated, meh does NOT equate to ugh, DEPT...

I'm curious as to why Expanse is 'meh' worthy?

well, for one thing, the Expanse's political/economic situation (greed, hate, distrust, conflict between the inner planets and outer satellites) plotline has been around since, at least, Bester's THE STARS MY DESTINATION/1956. The special effects are killer, but the show's plot/script/acting all remind me of countless detective/crime/action dramas. even so, I'll watch regularly, unless something more compelling is on.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least the magicians seems promising... first episode was fun....

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let it be reiterated, meh does NOT equate to ugh, DEPT...

well, for one thing, the Expanse's political/economic situation (greed, hate, distrust, conflict between the inner planets and outer satellites) plotline has been around since, at least, Bester's THE STARS MY DESTINATION/1956. The special effects are killer, but the show's plot/script/acting all remind me of countless detective/crime/action dramas. even so, I'll watch regularly, unless something more compelling is on.

There are no new stories, truly. Just re-telling of old ones. Question is, do they do them well?

I'm by no means a sci-fi guru or anything, but Corey (Abraham and Franck) do space opera pretty damn well. Again, not hard sci-fi, but still pretty firmly based despite the sweeping scope. So, forinstance, they go in the show,into how the pilots and crew on a combat vessel have to be injected in order to survive high-g maneuvers. Most sci-fi, even some of the hard stuff, waves this away with some nonsense about inertial dampeners or fields or something.
Of the new breed of sci-fi writers, I'd still take a Richard Morgan novel, but I've been buying the Expanse series in hardback since the second one. That's pretty rare for me.

You seem a guy for the classics of the genre. Who of the young guns is doing a better job of doing space opera?

I appreciate the distinction between ugh and meh btw, I just found the meh kinda' surprising, again, given the - well the ambition of this new series. That's to be, like I say applauded, succeed or fail.

Too many (most) projects don't even get green lit for pilots based on the projected costs.

Richard Morgan has sold an option for the Takeshi Kovacks novels to Hollywood, and I really , really hope it gets made by somebody good. Chances are it'll never see the light of day though. That's too bad.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@chf ...
you're right about my preference for Sci-Fi's 'classics.'
you'd be just as right if you had said I preferred 'classic' cars or whiskey.
my explorer/discoverer days are pretty much in the past - am perfectly happy to take the advice (when it suits) of present day explorer/discoverers.
that said...think I might pick up a Morgan or three (any suggestions?)
thanks.
:suds:

FAVORITE READS | SportsHoopla Sports Forums

pop in some time, if you're so inclined:

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start with 'Altered Carbon.'

The SF Site Featured Review: Altered Carbon

Has a bit of a noir feel to it. He gets more into the politics/social aspects in future books, a slight criticism of that reviewer, and ironically, something other people are critical of as he wrote the sequels.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The source material for 'The Expanse' is really solid too. James SA Corey is a pen name, for two authors, including widely respected fantasy author Daniel Abraham.

Sweeping space opera, with fairly decent science, although it is by no means 'hard' sci-fi.

Closer to a Firelfly but maybe grittier by a bit.

I watched the first 2 episodes last night. Decent.

Didn't do the Childhood's End thing though.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Closer to a Firelfly but maybe grittier by a bit.

I watched the first 2 episodes last night. Decent.

Didn't do the Childhood's End thing though.

The first night of childhood was VERY good... second night was still pretty good... 3rd night was disappointing...

As for expanse I watched episode 3 and 4 on demand... I agree that it got better... which is a good thing... Will certainly continue watching it...

The magicians, although it felt unoriginal, I enjoyed a lot.... Think it has a lot of potential, even if it has hit on most of the clichés of this genre...

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like SciFi but these two shows suck.