• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cam Newton has a valid complaint..

TeddyJackEddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 3 or 4 games I've watched last season and this season, he has taken a lot of hits that would draw penalties if they were laid on other QBs.
I don't care for the argument that he is big and therefore should except hard hits. I understand he is out of the pocket on many hits, but that doesn't explain some of the hits I've seen.
I've read posters argue Julio Jones should expect extra contact because of his size, I don't buy that one either.
Every player should be governed by the same rules...period.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a valid complaint Who the fuck dresses him?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 3 or 4 games I've watched last season and this season, he has taken a lot of hits that would draw penalties if they were laid on other QBs.
I don't care for the argument that he is big and therefore should except hard hits. I understand he is out of the pocket on many hits, but that doesn't explain some of the hits I've seen.
I've read posters argue Julio Jones should expect extra contact because of his size, I don't buy that one either.

He does have a point...the refs have "missed" more than a couple of hits that would clearly draw flags for most other QBs.

If I have an issue with Cam, on one hand he plows over a defender for a 1st down, TD, etc. and he's superman, dapping and what not, wonder if all that wasn't in play if he would be getting these calls.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A QB takes big hits outside of the pocket because he's a threat to take off and he's probably fast. Defenders have to close quickly like they would on a running back. And they usually have a head of steam from closing 10-15 yards on the QB, as opposed to 5 yards from the LOS on a play in the pocket.

Asking them to change this and protect them outside of the pocket like they do inside of it would be extremely difficult for defenders and officials. So the NFL will probably fast track it next week.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When those players do just as much hitting and shoving as the guys hitting and shoving them back yeah I think there is a bit of a different standard. The shots to the head yes should be called but it takes a good hit to get Cam Newton down. And with Julio he does just as much shoving as any WR in the league. That is part of his game so yes the officials let more go. To me if you are going to say he should get more calls then I think they should call more things against him too as I have seen him shove guys away to make a catch and nothing get called.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A QB takes big hits outside of the pocket because he's a threat to take off and he's probably fast. Defenders have to close quickly like they would on a running back. And they usually have a head of steam from closing 10-15 yards on the QB, as opposed to 5 yards from the LOS on a play in the pocket.

Asking them to change this and protect them outside of the pocket like they do inside of it would be extremely difficult for defenders and officials. So the NFL will probably fast track it next week.

Most of the really bad hits have actually come in the pocket.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have a point...the refs have "missed" more than a couple of hits that would clearly draw flags for most other QBs.

If I have an issue with Cam, on one hand he plows over a defender for a 1st down, TD, etc. and he's superman, dapping and what not, wonder if all that wasn't in play if he would be getting these calls.

Bingo even the refs get sick of that shit. Ben is real cool on the field and misses some calls

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree that when he is outside the pocket he needs to be treated just like a RB. Have to remember some of those head shots he takes are because he lowers his head to try and bring on contact with a defender. We see RB's all the time lower the head and helmets collide. Becomes just about impossible for a defender to get lower enough not to make some contact with the head.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, Cam needs to start learning to slide. There's this old saying about "winning the battle but losing the war." He's way more important to the team over an entire season rather than just for one extra yard.

Although, he did slide late in the Cards game Sunday, and it looked like shit. He's probably the only QB in the league who could injure himself worse by sliding.

TeddyJackEddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

None of that explains some of the hits I've seen, especially the late hits, hits to the head and pointless blind side hits.
Even people who should know better act as if hits shouldn't hurt big guys. Big backs who absorb a lot of punishment are the ones more likely to end up crippled, Earl Campbell is a prime example, but there are many others.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of that explains some of the hits I've seen, especially the late hits, hits to the head and pointless blind side hits.
Even people who should know better act as if hits shouldn't hurt big guys. Big backs who absorb a lot of punishment are the ones more likely to end up crippled, Earl Campbell is a prime example, but there are many others.

When you invite contact that is just part of what comes with the territory. Cam has laid some players out over the years so players have figured out they have to hit him and remind him they are there. The Panthers have struggled when Cam takes some harder hits as he starts throwing more off his back foot and throwing early. I'm not saying it is legal what is all happening to him but it is just part of what happens.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam deserves a swift kick in the nards. Make that 2 swift nardy kicks.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be a horrible look for the NFL and something they would keep at all costs from getting out if true.

I just think he is feeling the pressure this year coming from all angles. There are a lot of blown calls but I am not sure if they are disproportionate.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree that when he is outside the pocket he needs to be treated just like a RB. Have to remember some of those head shots he takes are because he lowers his head to try and bring on contact with a defender. We see RB's all the time lower the head and helmets collide. Becomes just about impossible for a defender to get lower enough not to make some contact with the head.

The shots I agree with Cam on have mostly come in the pocket...just last week a guy dove at his legs in the pocket...Rodgers ran half a dz times last week...at no point was he taking a shot to the head. Even dove head first to get a 1st down once...if he takes a shot to the head, the flag is coming out automatic....but if you are going run the read option and lower your head like a RB to gain yardage, yes, you should be treated like a RB.

TeddyJackEddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When those players do just as much hitting and shoving as the guys hitting and shoving them back yeah I think there is a bit of a different standard. The shots to the head yes should be called but it takes a good hit to get Cam Newton down. And with Julio he does just as much shoving as any WR in the league. That is part of his game so yes the officials let more go. To me if you are going to say he should get more calls then I think they should call more things against him too as I have seen him shove guys away to make a catch and nothing get called.

I've already mentioned the valid hits on Cam, but there are many that are clearly illegal hits, those should be called.
With Julio my complaint is about 2 games where his arm was held down, leaving virtually no chance to catch the ball and likely costing The Falcons 2 games.