• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Build Yourself the Greatest Golfer

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Use these categories, add another or drop one but here's my attempt:

Driver Swing - Greg Norman

Irons Swing - Fred Couples

Pitching and Chipping - Seve Ballesteros

Putting - Ben Crenshaw

Frontrunner - Laddy Wadkins

Steel Nerves - Jack Nicklaus

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driver Swing - Bobby Jones
Iron Swing - Johnny Miller
Pitching/chipping- Jack Nicklaus
Putting- Tiger Woods
Front Runner- Tiger Woods
Steel Nerves- Jack Nicklaus

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol!

Masters week was probably poor timing~

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driver swing - Ben Hogan
Iron Swing - Sam Snead
Short Game - Phil Mickelson
Putting - Ben Crenshaw
Front Runner - Lee Trevino
Nerves - Big Jack

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driver Swing - Bobby Jones
Iron Swing - Johnny Miller
Pitching/chipping- Jack Nicklaus
Putting- Tiger Woods
Front Runner- Tiger Woods
Steel Nerves- Jack Nicklaus

This...only I would swap Seve in there for Chipping/Pitching.

Also...I might split up iron play into short/mid in one and long irons in the other...that said Jack gets the long iron and Johnny Miller takes the short/mid irons.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This...only I would swap Seve in there for Chipping/Pitching.

Also...I might split up iron play into short/mid in one and long irons in the other...that said Jack gets the long iron and Johnny Miller takes the short/mid irons.
You've got a point on the Iron. No problem with Seve pick either, probably the most consistent, but if we're on the 18th in a Major in a tied Match, I'd take Jack every time

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got a point on the Iron. No problem with Seve pick either, probably the most consistent, but if we're on the 18th in a Major in a tied Match, I'd take Jack every time

Ya know...I missed a lot of Jack's prime he was in his mid/late 30s when I started watching golf...he was really the 1st player that really emphasized majors....18 is probably untouchable, but imagine if he closed the deal on half of those 2nds...

He was one of the original long ballers, but in the majors he had the wits to play the golf course for par, and take his birdie chances when they presented themselves.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know...I missed a lot of Jack's prime he was in his mid/late 30s when I started watching golf...he was really the 1st player that really emphasized majors....18 is probably untouchable, but imagine if he closed the deal on half of those 2nds...

He was one of the original long ballers, but in the majors he had the wits to play the golf course for par, and take his birdie chances when they presented themselves.
I only saw him at the end, you're right about 18, if Tiger is gonna fall short after the start he had, I don't think anyone touches it. My Grandpa said Bobby Jones was hands down the best in his opinion. Said if you gave him the same equipment they use today, it would have been a joke

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only saw him at the end, you're right about 18, if Tiger is gonna fall short after the start he had, I don't think anyone touches it. My Grandpa said Bobby Jones was hands down the best in his opinion. Said if you gave him the same equipment they use today, it would have been a joke

Jones...no doubt he was great...shame he didn't pursue it as a pro to really find out...Idk how much better he would've been with the modern equipment b/c it should've brought the field closer to him if the clubs/balls were better.

Much like Tiger in the beginning...he had the 30+ yd gap on players with his driver...technology helped narrow and now even close the gap.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones...no doubt he was great...shame he didn't pursue it as a pro to really find out...Idk how much better he would've been with the modern equipment b/c it should've brought the field closer to him if the clubs/balls were better.

Much like Tiger in the beginning...he had the 30+ yd gap on players with his driver...technology helped narrow and now even close the gap.
I think the young players now are just getting better Spieth is middle of the pack off the Tee, and he just shot the same -18 at the Masters that Tiger did bombing it away

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the young players now are just getting better Spieth is middle of the pack off the Tee, and he just shot the same -18 at the Masters that Tiger did bombing it away

True...my point was in Tiger's youth...the tour average off the tee was about 270 and he was in the 290 range...over the course of 4 rounds...having that shorter approach, pretty much put him in the hunt every time he teed it up......that all changed with the new equipment/balls.

As you said...middle of the pack length for the game today, but Jordan was probably hitting the same clubs into the greens that Tiger did back in '97.