• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bryzgalov's rights!!

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to keep Bob in case Bryz goes down....otherwise you're looking at Bouch or Leights starting in the playoffs again...ugghhh!

Do the Carts to CBJ trade and they could keep this train rolling for years to come...do it Homer!

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm under the impression that Homer is going to do everything possible to not trade Carter and sign Bryz. A GM can't blow his credibility with players and I'm pretty sure that they verbally agreed that if Carter took the deal he did he would not be traded. Honestly I'm fine with that having a 30-40 goal scorer on the team at a decent cap hit is never a bad thing. If Carts can ever grow into his body a bit more and keep his intensity up he could be dominant.

It's the other NTC's that drive me nuts mostly the way he hands them out to aging players at potentially very un-friendly cap hit. Then again I'm also not a fan of any 35+ contract over 2 years, but maybe that has something to do with Rathje being on the books for like 5 years and only playing parts of 1 season :L

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm under the impression that Homer is going to do everything possible to not trade Carter and sign Bryz. A GM can't blow his credibility with players and I'm pretty sure that they verbally agreed that if Carter took the deal he did he would not be traded. Honestly I'm fine with that having a 30-40 goal scorer on the team at a decent cap hit is never a bad thing. If Carts can ever grow into his body a bit more and keep his intensity up he could be dominant.

It's the other NTC's that drive me nuts mostly the way he hands them out to aging players at potentially very un-friendly cap hit. Then again I'm also not a fan of any 35+ contract over 2 years, but maybe that has something to do with Rathje being on the books for like 5 years and only playing parts of 1 season :L

2 things...Holmgren would lose credibility with the players if he did not do everything he could to make the team better. he CANNOT verbally guarantee any player without a NTC that they will not be traded, and in some cases NTC's are not set in stone either. also, when you speak of the NTC's to our older players, holmgren was forced to give those to create a core of players after the disastrous season before.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Note*

I don't care how Homer does it, but I want ******** gone as soon as humanly fucking possible.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2768646-m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Homer was forced to overpay them like all teams who have a down season have to do in order to become competitive again and fill seats. The reality of the situation is that Homer routinely overpays FA's and then gives them NTC's on top of it.

Also I'm relatively sure that the only reason Carter doesn't have an NTC now is because he is not yet 27. So if they did verbally agree to a deal with Homer insuring him that he would not be moved it would most definitely ruin his creditability.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, Homer was forced to overpay them like all teams who have a down season have to do in order to become competitive again and fill seats. The reality of the situation is that Homer routinely overpays FA's and then gives them NTC's on top of it.

Also I'm relatively sure that the only reason Carter doesn't have an NTC now is because he is not yet 27. So if they did verbally agree to a deal with Homer insuring him that he would not be moved it would most definitely ruin his creditability.

Carter does have a NTC that kicks in after this season

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
homer is gunna have to give up on 100% credibility.. this team isn't going to win a cup and stay competitive in the next 5 years with richards, carter, hartnell, timo, pronger, and briere.. plus what i'm assuming will be a big contract for bryz

assuming bryz makes 6ish against the cap.. that's almost 39mil against the cap (or 62% of the projected cap for 2011-12).. that's too much for 4 forwards, 2 dmen, and a starting goalie.. those players are not talented enough, individually, or as a group, to claim 62% of the cap

homer dug this team a huge hole by not having any nhl caliber prospects in the system.. in this league you cannot compete without having players playing way above their entry level contracts

look at the bruins.. they have marchand and mcquaid making a combined 1.3 mil on the cap and they average 16 and 13 minutes per game respectively.. i'm not saying they have to be huge impact guys, but you have to have guys on sub 1-mil contracts that can provide more than just 4th line duty or 4 minutes a game on the back-end, and the flyers aren't going to have any of those that come from their system because they have had 0 picks in the 1st or 2nd round of a draft since 2008 (and wont again this year).. add in the fact that they traded the only one in 2007 and you're going 4 years without adding a single quality prospect

that pronger trade CRUSHED the flyers.. essentially they gave up 3 first round picks (sbisa + 2009 + 2010), plus a top-6 forward, plus a 3rd round pick.. pronger hasn't come close to deserving that and now you add in back problems and he might not even play to his 4.9 mil contract, that he has for the next 6 years.

not that versteeg was worth a 1st and 3rd :L

PhillyBoston781

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
homer is gunna have to give up on 100% credibility.. this team isn't going to win a cup and stay competitive in the next 5 years with richards, carter, hartnell, timo, pronger, and briere.. plus what i'm assuming will be a big contract for bryz

assuming bryz makes 6ish against the cap.. that's almost 39mil against the cap (or 62% of the projected cap for 2011-12).. that's too much for 4 forwards, 2 dmen, and a starting goalie.. those players are not talented enough, individually, or as a group, to claim 62% of the cap

homer dug this team a huge hole by not having any nhl caliber prospects in the system.. in this league you cannot compete without having players playing way above their entry level contracts

look at the bruins.. they have marchand and mcquaid making a combined 1.3 mil on the cap and they average 16 and 13 minutes per game respectively.. i'm not saying they have to be huge impact guys, but you have to have guys on sub 1-mil contracts that can provide more than just 4th line duty or 4 minutes a game on the back-end, and the flyers aren't going to have any of those that come from their system because they have had 0 picks in the 1st or 2nd round of a draft since 2008 (and wont again this year).. add in the fact that they traded the only one in 2007 and you're going 4 years without adding a single quality prospect

that pronger trade CRUSHED the flyers.. essentially they gave up 3 first round picks (sbisa + 2009 + 2010), plus a top-6 forward, plus a 3rd round pick.. pronger hasn't come close to deserving that and now you add in back problems and he might not even play to his 4.9 mil contract, that he has for the next 6 years.

not that versteeg was worth a 1st and 3rd :L

I'm really really worried about Pronger more than anything. It's a long deal, for a lot of money, for a big, physical defenseman who now has back problems.

Other than Pronger, I'm not all that concerned with the rest of the team. I know they have a lot of money tied up in a few players, but they were also one of, if not the deepest team in the league this year (except goalie). So you can't say that they don't have enough talented guys to fill out the roster, even if they don't have an up-and-coming player.

In a way, some of these long-term contracts will help the Flyers. These guys will have the same cap hit every year while the cap will (hopefully) keep going up. We just got to keep our fingers crossed that the guys signed long-term don't drop off the face of the earth, talent-wise. I don't see any reason to worry about that for Briere, Carter or Richards. I think we all know what we got with those guys for the foreseeable future. Pronger is the big problem.

The good news is that there is always SOME opportunity to fix things down the line. It's obviously much harder with bigger contracts and NTCs, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

As much as this year's early exit sucked, I really think the Flyers are in a great possition to compete again next year, and if they can get Bryz signed, they're immediately, significantly better when they were already one of the top-five teams in the league all year last year. So Homer has to be doing something right.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really really worried about Pronger more than anything. It's a long deal, for a lot of money, for a big, physical defenseman who now has back problems.

Other than Pronger, I'm not all that concerned with the rest of the team. I know they have a lot of money tied up in a few players, but they were also one of, if not the deepest team in the league this year (except goalie). So you can't say that they don't have enough talented guys to fill out the roster, even if they don't have an up-and-coming player.

In a way, some of these long-term contracts will help the Flyers. These guys will have the same cap hit every year while the cap will (hopefully) keep going up. We just got to keep our fingers crossed that the guys signed long-term don't drop off the face of the earth, talent-wise. I don't see any reason to worry about that for Briere, Carter or Richards. I think we all know what we got with those guys for the foreseeable future. Pronger is the big problem.

The good news is that there is always SOME opportunity to fix things down the line. It's obviously much harder with bigger contracts and NTCs, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

As much as this year's early exit sucked, I really think the Flyers are in a great possition to compete again next year, and if they can get Bryz signed, they're immediately, significantly better when they were already one of the top-five teams in the league all year last year. So Homer has to be doing something right.

oh i agree, the pronger situation is what scares me more than anything.. people keep trying to find ways around how horrible that contract is, but you cant.. a 35+ contract is horrible for long term.. if he retires, it doesn't come off, if it gets bought out, it doesn't come off.. you wanna waive him? you save 100k against the cap.. the only realistic way to remove his contract from the cap is if he goes on LTIR.. and i'm guessing the NHL isn't going to give the flyers a break like they did with rathje, and we're hoping they do with lappy.. the pronger deal was under immediate scrutiny when they signed it, the NHL won't forget that

you make a great point about the long term contracts of richie/carter.. those cap hits will look better and better down the road against the cap as it goes up.. i hadn't really thought about that

i still think the lack of farm system hurts more now than people recognize.. the pens (unfortunately) are a good example too.. they had guys going down all year, including superstars, and they stayed competitive bringing in call ups.. i'm not sure the flyers have the call-ups to fill out the roster with sub 1-mil guys.. wellwood and holmstrom can play a role, but the two of them, betts, powe, and nodl can't all play on the 4th line

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i still think the lack of farm system hurts more now than people recognize.. the pens (unfortunately) are a good example too.. they had guys going down all year, including superstars, and they stayed competitive bringing in call ups.. i'm not sure the flyers have the call-ups to fill out the roster with sub 1-mil guys.. wellwood and holmstrom can play a role, but the two of them, betts, powe, and nodl can't all play on the 4th line

ditto.

one thing i can't stand about our fan base is our unique ability to demand we never take our medicine. when we trade away our picks for the better part of two decades, how is it that we can look around and be upset that our farm system is barren? every year the pressure mounts to make it ever more barren. then when a g.m. decides to hold picks to restock the farm (which would take a good 3-5 years of not trading picks) the fan base calls for his head. it's self defeating.

having said all that. the only guy on the farm i really want to see get called up some this year is marshall. i just want to see him on the big club to see how he handles himself.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ditto.

one thing i can't stand about our fan base is our unique ability to demand we never take our medicine. when we trade away our picks for the better part of two decades, how is it that we can look around and be upset that our farm system is barren? every year the pressure mounts to make it ever more barren. then when a g.m. decides to hold picks to restock the farm (which would take a good 3-5 years of not trading picks) the fan base calls for his head. it's self defeating.

having said all that. the only guy on the farm i really want to see get called up some this year is marshall. i just want to see him on the big club to see how he handles himself.

agree 100%.. but its what makes our fan base one of the best.. so demanding, and nothing is good, let alone perfect, unless the cup is won

i just think the flyers have gotten fleeced in most of the trades they've made since the early 00's.. and some of that is because of these ridiculous contracts.. gagne for walker and a 5th!? upshall AND a 2nd for carcillo? the pronger trade has been beaten to death.. the eminger fiasco ended up being a 1st, 4th, and downie for carle.. 1st and 3rd for versteeg.. handzus for calder.. 3rd for dimitrakos.. 2 2nds for gauthier :-)().. seidenberg for nedved.. sharp for ellison and a 3rd..

you can look at the list if you want more, those were just the most heinous IMO

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/trade.cgi

couple good ones

umberger and 4th for a 1st and 3rd
zhitnik for coburn
forseberg for parent, upshall, 1st, and 3rd (aka the collective ball sack of nashville's front office)

but that doesn't even come close to off-setting how terrible the flyers have been at trading

build through the draft and free agency.. they drafted the core of the team in richards, giroux, carter, and jvr.. why make all these trades (pronger) for this win-now mentality that causes them to make more trades when they've shown time after time that they aren't good at trading?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wanted to read more of clarke's moves.. bad idea..

j. williams for markov
1st, 2nd, 3rd and ouellett for oates :-)()
1st, 3rd, and woywitka for comrie