• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Browns Diehards(A Study In Faith And Fate)

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the arrival of Hue Jackson i think they have their best chance yet to win games in Cleveland.

Everywhere he has gone he has resurrected teams including Baltimore,Oakland and Cincinnati.

Doing research i noticed that in 11 out of the 15 years he coached whatever unit he was with was finished top ten or better overall.

I wanted him bad in Tennessee until i heard he wanted to run plays and have certain control over things and that wasn't going to happen here in TN with what had just transpired with former coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Tennessee gave Whisenhunt a big contract outbidding Detroit then let him call plays and have a certain amount of control in decisions and it all backfired. BAD. Whisenhunt went 3-20 in his time in Tennessee in 2014 and 2015.

Before Whisenhunt arrived in 2014 Tennessee last had a winning season in 2011. The only good thing to come out of him being here was the drafting of Marcus Mariota the team got a franchise QB out of it.

That will be one of the main things Jackson has on his plate to help bring a franchise QB to town and lead the team back to winning again. Which is why i don't understand the first major move Jackson made in Cleveland having QB RG3 join the team. Kaepernick would've been a much better choice.

Not sure what he plans on doing QB wise i know fans hope he brings in a rookie either Goff or Wentz because we all know RG3 is not the answer.

Let's go back in history a minute........

From 1947 until 1990 The Browns only had like five or six losing seasons. Up until 1990 Cleveland were in the top ten NFL winningest franchises ever.

Hard to believe but as recent as a couple decades the Browns were one of the best with a rich tradition BUT the last 25 years or quarter century has been hell on the franchise and its fans.

I think everything truly started in earnest around 1986. There is that word as in Earnest Byner.

In 1986 the Browns lost the AFC Championship to Broncos 23-20 in OT mainly because of 'The Drive' where Denver and QB John Elway went 98 yards to tie the game with 37 seconds left in regulation, and then made the game-winning 33-yard field goal in overtime.

In 1987 the Browns lost the AFC Championship to Broncos 38-33 mainly because of 'The Fumble' Browns running back Earnest Byner took the handoff and appeared to be on his way to score the game-tying touchdown, but was stripped at the one-yard line. Denver recovered, gave the Browns an intentional safety and won 38-33.

In 1989 the Browns lost the AFC Championship to Broncos 37-21 this time it wasn't close. The team lost three AFC Championship to Broncos in the space of four years and two in heartbreaking fashion.

After these three AFC Championship losses the team would have one more season of success 1994 when they went 11-5 with head coach Bill Belichick beating New England 20-13 in wild card before losing 29-9 to Pittsburgh.

Ironically the Browns last playoff win was with coach Bill Belichick over New England which is now the place where Belichick is head coach.

In 1995 the fans lost the team because Cleveland refused to build a new stadium. Ironically the cast of personnel involved with the team would all enjoy great success in other places. This is called 'The Move'

Ozzie Newsome the former player and executive with Cleveland went to Baltimore with former Cleveland owner Art Modell where just five short years later they won their first Super Bowl over the NY Giants then exactly one year later ex coach Bill Belichick would win his first Super Bowl with New England over St. Louis.

Former coach Belichick has gone on to win 4 Super Bowls and former player and executive Newsome has gone on to win 2 Super Bowls.

Sucks deeply that had Cleveland possibly kept its team between Belichick and Newsome the Browns might've been wildly successful but it was not to be.

After the fans did get the team back in 1999 it hasn't been the same and from then until the present in 2016 the team has brought in football people successful with different franchises to run things but it hasn't worked.

Carmen Policy once with the Super Bowl 49ers and Mike Holmgren once with the Super Bowl Packers both ended up falling short. The team has even hired two former New England defensive coaches who won Super Bowls Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini as head coaches and both failed as well.

Since 1999 the Browns have had 24 different starting QB's as well as 9 different head coaches.

From 1990 through 2015 the Browns have only had three winning seasons and two playoff berths.They finished last in their division 14 times and haven't won one division title.

Between The Fumble,The Drive,The Move i don't think any fanbase has endured more hardship and turmoil.

I say due to fate that Cleveland missed out on at least three Super Bowls in 1987,1988 as well as 2000.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was impressed at the Brown's fans turnout to watch their team play the Seahawks in Seattle this past year. I went up and wished a few of them best of luck going forward as they have earned it. Now, if the fucking team can perform as well as their fans...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the arrival of Hue Jackson i think they have their best chance yet to win games in Cleveland.

Everywhere he has gone he has resurrected teams including Baltimore,Oakland and Cincinnati.

Doing research i noticed that in 11 out of the 15 years he coached whatever unit he was with was finished top ten or better overall.

I wanted him bad in Tennessee until i heard he wanted to run plays and have certain control over things and that wasn't going to happen here in TN with what had just transpired with former coach Ken Whisenhunt.

Tennessee gave Whisenhunt a big contract outbidding Detroit then let him call plays and have a certain amount of control in decisions and it all backfired. BAD. Whisenhunt went 3-20 in his time in Tennessee in 2014 and 2015.

Before Whisenhunt arrived in 2014 Tennessee last had a winning season in 2011. The only good thing to come out of him being here was the drafting of Marcus Mariota the team got a franchise QB out of it.

That will be one of the main things Jackson has on his plate to help bring a franchise QB to town and lead the team back to winning again. Which is why i don't understand the first major move Jackson made in Cleveland having QB RG3 join the team. Kaepernick would've been a much better choice.

Not sure what he plans on doing QB wise i know fans hope he brings in a rookie either Goff or Wentz because we all know RG3 is not the answer.

From 1947 until 1990 The Browns only had like five or six losing seasons. Up until 1990 Cleveland were in the top ten NFL winningest franchises ever.

Hard to believe but as recent as a couple decades the Browns were one of the best with a rich tradition BUT the last 25 years or quarter century has been hell on the franchise and its fans.

I think everything truly started in earnest around 1986. There is that word as in Earnest Byner.

In 1986 the Browns lost the AFC Championship to Broncos 23-20 in OT mainly because of 'The Drive' where Denver and QB John Elway went 98 yards to tie the game with 37 seconds left in regulation, and then made the game-winning 33-yard field goal in overtime.

In 1987 the Browns lost the AFC Championship to Broncos 38-33 mainly because of 'The Fumble' Browns running back Earnest Byner took the handoff and appeared to be on his way to score the game-tying touchdown, but was stripped at the one-yard line. Denver recovered, gave the Browns an intentional safety and won 38-33.

In 1989 the Browns lost the AFC Championship to Broncos 37-21 this time it wasn't close. The team lost three AFC Championship to Broncos in the space of four years and two in heartbreaking fashion.

After these three AFC Championship losses the team would have one more season of success 1994 when they went 11-5 with head coach Bill Belichick beating New England 20-13 in wild card before losing 29-9 to Pittsburgh.

Ironically the Browns last playoff win was with coach Bill Belichick over New England which is now the place where Belichick is head coach.

In 1995 the fans lost the team because Cleveland refused to build a new stadium. Ironically the cast of personnel involved with the team would all enjoy great success in other places. This is called 'The Move'

Ozzie Newsome the former player and executive with Cleveland went to Baltimore with former Cleveland owner Art Modell where just five short years later they won their first Super Bowl over the NY Giants then exactly one year later ex coach Bill Belichick would win his first Super Bowl with New England over St. Louis.

Former coach Belichick has gone on to win 4 Super Bowls and former player and executive Newsome has gone on to win 2 Super Bowls.

Sucks deeply that had Cleveland possibly kept its team between Belichick and Newsome the Browns might've been wildly successful but it was not to be.

After the fans did get the team back in 1999 it hasn't been the same and from then until the present in 2016 the team has brought in football people successful with different franchises to run things but it hasn't worked.

Carmen Policy once with the Super Bowl 49ers and Mike Holmgren once with the Super Bowl Packers both ended up falling short. The team has even hired two former New England defensive coaches who won Super Bowls Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini as head coaches and both failed as well.

Since 1999 the Browns have had 24 different starting QB's as well as 9 different head coaches.

From 1990 through 2015 the Browns have only had three winning seasons and two playoff berths.They finished last in their division 14 times and haven't won one division title.

Between The Fumble,The Drive,The Move i don't think any fanbase has endured more hardship and turmoil.

I say due to fate that Cleveland missed out on at least three Super Bowls in 1987,1988 as well as 2000.
sounds like what we heard when Mike Holmgren went there...
Some curses are just too big for one a mere mortal. You need a team of HOF coaches to turn this team around...

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The schedule is hard. I can only see a win against two division rivals and maybe San Diego and Miami.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Browns fans...you have to applaud them but at some point enough is enough...since re-entering the league they really haven't sniffed any success aside from 1 season under Butch Davis and 1 season under Crennel.

The biggest reason imo has been no stability at the top...they did had a good football mind at the top in Holmgren but could never get a decent signal caller. One thing that does look god now is failing to get the draft rights to RG3...they're getting him for a fraction of the price now.

Hue Jackson...idk what he's going to do in terms of building a winner, but history says he will fail. This move to sign RG3 makes sense to me...IF they add a young QB from the draft as a parachute...if it were me, I would take Ramsey or Tunsil and go QB later with Cook....on the flip...if Wentz is the pick...and somehow RG3 does prove he belongs in the NFL...Wentz or RG3 are good trade chips.

There's not a lot of downside to this move imo.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's not a lot of downside to this move imo.

Except that its Cleveland. And that is just sad that a once very proud franchise with decades of past success and history has been reduced to a joke through the ineptitude of ownership and management to get it right.

I wish them well but am not going to hold my breath. If they ever make it to a Super Bowl I will be rooting for them unless by chance its against my Cowboys

Damn I could have said the same thing about my Cowboys :doh:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that its Cleveland. And that is just sad that a once very proud franchise with decades of past success and history has been reduced to a joke through the ineptitude of ownership and management to get it right.

I wish them well but am not going to hold my breath. If they ever make it to a Super Bowl I will be rooting for them unless by chance its against my Cowboys

Damn I could have said the same thing about my Cowboys :doh:

Nah...the Cowboy's history and the Browns history in the SB era have nothing in common.

I look at it like this...they won 3 games LY...I'm pegging them for maybe 4 topside this yr...if they slip up and win 2, what's the harm?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to dump a rookie QB into that fold...RG3 is trying to resurrect whatever he had so let him be the appetizer.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True RG3 will be the guy I just feel sorry for whoever the browns pick at QB

And Jerry while a knucklehead as GM has been A brilliant owner business wise

It is getting better lately though since Will McClay has been in the scouting Dept for Dallas he is worth way more than his paycheck shows

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
asdasdsaas.jpg

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see anything special about Hue at all and he didn't resurrect anything in Baltimore...He was our qb coach under Cam Cameron for 2 yrs and everyone knew Cam ran his own show....He was nothing more than an assistant.....
And who couldn't win in Cincy with Green,Jones, Sanu and Eifert ???.....But to top it all off, he flopped in Oakland as a HC and gets another shot in Cleveland, the place of the curse....
What does he do, sign RG 3&out to a possible 22 mil deal....
Failure #2 already in progress......:rolleyes2::clap:

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've really cleaned house with the team, it all comes down to drafting well, something they've been terrible at for a while now.