• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos to Weaponize the Kickoff

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeCamillis believes NFL rule change will make kickoffs “a weapon” for Broncos

Apparently - McManus has the ability for good hang time - Broncos want to float the kick off down to the five and make the receiving team decide to let it drop or to run it back. Broncos like their coverage units - and so do it (for a change).

It's stuff like this that will provide the defense with good field position - and a chance to make plays.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have several thoughts on this:

1) As the article notes, the league is being a bit naive to think a team is just going to give an opponent 25 yards.

2) All the rule changes in the world won't have the net desired affect. It's still a dangerous, physical game and players enter into it knowing the risks and deeming the rewards greater.

3) I love the Broncos strategy on ST seems to be to make teams play the kick. It's going to be a double edged sword at times, but the Broncos will always have the "safe" option available, plus they are going to get some turnovers deep inside enemy territory. Imagine the kickoff following a Broncos TD resulting in the Broncos getting the ball back inside the 20. I like it.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This rule change has nothing to do with limiting kickoff returns. I call BS on that. This is designed to favor more scoring.