• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brewed my first all-grain

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit all of my temperatures but my OG was off by 10 points! I went with a cheap recipe because I figured I'd screw it up.

I did batch sparging.

8# 2-row
2# vienna
0.5# crystal
Target OG 1.051
Actual OG 1.041

I'm thinking the problem was adding too much water the second pass. Perhaps I should have added only 1/2 and sparged twice.

Any thoughts?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How much wort did you collect and how much did you have post boil?

I have never allgrain brewed by myself and the one batch I did assist with we didn't take gravity readings. I say that to say that I am probably of no help, just asking questions.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what temp did you take your gravity at?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good questions by crow and 757. Also, everything I have read indicates that batch sparging more than once doesn't help and that sparge water temp and mash temp can be pretty crucial too on sugar collection. Also, did you brew in a bag or use a tun/manifold?? I believe even water ph can mess with efficiency too (if you have water too hard/soft/chlorine) as well as the crush of your grains. Lots of things to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may just have to learn your system. It just may not be very efficient. But once you get it figured, you can adjust you recipes. Also, you should be brewing to a gravity, not a volume. That is how the big boys do it...

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much wort did you collect and how much did you have post boil?

I have never allgrain brewed by myself and the one batch I did assist with we didn't take gravity readings. I say that to say that I am probably of no help, just asking questions.

I collected 6.5 gallons because I boil off 1.5 in an hour. Finished at 5 gallons.

what temp did you take your gravity at?
Took it at around 70F then did a temperature correction to 60F.

Good questions by crow and 757. Also, everything I have read indicates that batch sparging more than once doesn't help and that sparge water temp and mash temp can be pretty crucial too on sugar collection. Also, did you brew in a bag or use a tun/manifold?? I believe even water ph can mess with efficiency too (if you have water too hard/soft/chlorine) as well as the crush of your grains. Lots of things to think about.

I'm using a 10 gallon igloo with a false bottom. All temps were spot on. 152F on the money. Sparge water was 175F at the addition. It obviously didn't settle out at 170F though. I'm afraid to add hotter water due to tannins.

You may just have to learn your system. It just may not be very efficient. But once you get it figured, you can adjust you recipes. Also, you should be brewing to a gravity, not a volume. That is how the big boys do it...

If I brew to the gravity I need, then my hop adds will be all off. You saying to adjust the recipe after I collect all of the wort?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did you do an enzyme test at the end of your mash to ensure that conversion was complete?

There are just so many variables that it is just hard to say exactly why your gravity was so far off. Anything from crush to temps to sparge, real hard to say, your best bet may be to just brew another batch and see how that one comes out.