• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Braves 2016 season thread

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're a week away from pitchers and catchers reporting to Spring Training. Baseball season is almost here.

2015 was a little rough to say the least. We started out decent and we were in the mix right up until the All Star break, but we fell apart soon after.

Freeman hurting his wrist and Grilli tearing his Achilles really derailed the train, then when Jim Johnson was traded, our bull pen was basically out of the scrap yard and our offense was sporatic at best and a very inexperienced rotation.

We're probably a couple years away from being contenders agin, but hopefully 2016 will bring some improvement and the debut of some exciting prospects.

We further gutted out team over the offseason, but we brought some exciting prospects with the trades.

Getting Ender Inciarte, Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair from the Diamondbacks for Shelby Miller was an absolute steal. We got a starting center fielder, our top prospect who could be our shortstop of the future and a near MLB ready pitching prospect.

And as much as I hated losing Simmons, Newcoimb is our top pitching prospect and Aybar while he will be a downgrade defensively, he should be an upgrade on offense.

Here's what I think our opening day 25 man roster projects to be.

C- AJ Pierzynski
1B- Freddie Freeman
2B- Jace Peterson
3B- Adonis Garcia
SS- Erick Aybar
LF- Hector Olivera
CF- Ender Inciarte
RF- Nick Markakis

BN- Kelly Johnson- corner inf/OF
BN- Gordon Beckham- 2B/SS/3B
BN- Emilio Bonifacio- utl
BN- Tyler Flowers- C
BN- Michael Bourn- OF

SP- Julio Teheran
SP- Bud Norris
SP- Matt Wisler
SP- Williams Perez
SP- Mike Foltynewicz

CL- Jason Grilli
SU- Arodys Vizcaino
BP- Jim Johnson
BP- Andrew McKiraham
BP- Ian Krol
BP- Jhoulys Chacin
BP- Matt Marksberry

Shea Simmons will be back in May if all goes right.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Francouer brought back on a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training. I doubt he makes the team. One of the most disappointing players in recent memory.

hess1125

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion, I'm pretty excited about this season. I'm excited to see what our young guys do and when call ups will happen with different players. Now I'm also not completely out of my head and saying that we have any chance of the playoffs. But I'm cheering for us to finish .500

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallex Smith and Ozzie Albies had huge days today.

Smith went 4 for 6 with a homer, 2 triples and a double with 3 RBIs
Albies went 3 for 6 with a homer and 3 RBIs

Doesn't mean much, but nice to see some young prospects make an early case.

We'll likely see Smith in the Majors at some point this season. Albies is probably at least another year away. He and Swanson are projected to be our double play combo of the future.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, let me ask y'all something. I grew up a Braves fan, when to games en sech when I was a kid, have followed off-and-on since college. I'm thinking about tuning in again this year, but can't figure out wth is going on with the TV options. What's the best option for seeing the most games? Mlb.com gives incomplete and confusing information.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, let me ask y'all something. I grew up a Braves fan, when to games en sech when I was a kid, have followed off-and-on since college. I'm thinking about tuning in again this year, but can't figure out wth is going on with the TV options. What's the best option for seeing the most games? Mlb.com gives incomplete and confusing information.
I have Charter cable and have been able to watch 140+ games the last several years on Fox Sports South/Fox Sports 1 alone, the other games that FSS/FS1 don't show are usually either on big FOX or ESPN. My wife loves it.... lol.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Charter cable and have been able to watch 140+ games the last several years on Fox Sports South/Fox Sports 1 alone, the other games that FSS/FS1 don't show are usually either on big FOX or ESPN. My wife loves it.... lol.
Ok, got TWC, think I got both of those. Thx, man.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, welcome back to the club. Never too many Braves fans.

:suds:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozzie Albies and Mallex Smith tearing it up early on in ST. Neither will make the opening day roster, but nice to see the future of the team have good showings in ST.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew McKirahan to have Tommy John surgery and miss the 2016 season.

That opens up a bull pen spot on the roster.