• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bob Welch's 1990 season

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rickey had the best WAR, but Brett had better stats across the board.

Stolen bases and runs scored must carry significant weight

Another oddity-Brett's team won 91 games and made the post-season (and won it all), while Rickey's team won 97 and went home.

Also, the voters are, and always have been, a little retarded.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'90 World Series right? Didn't Marge Schott threaten to dock his share because of the hospital expenses?
She refused to pay for him to come back home after getting out of the hospital, he was still not in great shape after tearing his kidney and needed a medical flight.
A friend and I sent him a get well soon card, but it probably arrived at the hospital after he was gone.
Eric Davis from '86-'89 was about as exciting as it came for me in baseball, can't say he was the greatest player of that time but he was just so much fun to watch.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another oddity-Brett's team won 91 games and made the post-season (and won it all), while Rickey's team won 97 and went home.

Also, the voters are, and always have been, a little retarded.
true story...not sure if i ever told you this. my shipping guy is the son for a long time former sox scout. head NE scout under duquette. theres a cape league award named after his father for the best prospect from new england.

anyway, this guys daughter works out in oakland for the A's and warriors. sweet gig.

every once in a while she texts him "rickeys back" with a photo of rickey at the team buffet, in line like one of the guys.

apparently, hes a regular there...for the free food. they cant kick him out. same at warriors games. he just shows up and goes "its rickey!"

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true story...not sure if i ever told you this. my shipping guy is the son for a long time former sox scout. head NE scout under duquette. theres a cape league award named after his father for the best prospect from new england.

anyway, this guys daughter works out in oakland for the A's and warriors. sweet gig.

every once in a while she texts him "rickeys back" with a photo of rickey at the team buffet, in line like one of the guys.

apparently, hes a regular there...for the free food. they cant kick him out. same at warriors games. he just shows up and goes "its rickey!"

He's one of a kind.

So many stories, not sure which ones are true. Favorites are he framed his first check, never cashed it. Oakland front office had to ask him what was going on. And the Olerud story ("I used to play with a guy who wore a helmet like that in the field", "That was me, Rickey") if it's not true, it should be.

:pound:

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's one of a kind.

So many stories, not sure which ones are true. Favorites are he framed his first check, never cashed it. Oakland front office had to ask him what was going on. And the Olerud story ("I used to play with a guy who wore a helmet like that in the field", "That was me, Rickey") if it's not true, it should be.

:pound:
i heard that story too about olerud

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to Cooperstown a few years back, and there's a room where they have the top 10 in history in a bunch of different categories mounted to the wall.

Rickey is everywhere. We will never see a player quite like him again.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, and they total 71 games. i cant help he played 8 here, 5 there. it is what it is i guess.

no offense taken eh

But what was the point of your breaking those 71 games out into 5-8 game pieces then?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing Rice feared was not getting his check...the one thing I will say in his favor is that he learned to play The Wall quite well, but he still was not really a good defensive player overall.
What a transition from being a total jackwad as a player to Mr Nice Guy so he could get a NESN job. He's basically the black Eck as far as personality goes.

Blackersley? He's like Blacula with a fist pump instead of fangs...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rickey had the best WAR, but Brett had better stats across the board.

Stolen bases and runs scored must carry significant weight

CF is more demanding than 3B. and while Brett was a better hitter, I don't think that's enough to offset the massive difference in baserunning and positional value.

not that Brett would have been a bad choice.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what was the point of your breaking those 71 games out into 5-8 game pieces then?
to break down where exactly he DIDNT hit. it was like 5 stadiums. some were REALLY bad, and killed his road splits.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to break down where exactly he DIDNT hit. it was like 5 stadiums. some were REALLY bad, and killed his road splits.

Ah OK, so then -- wait a minute, that kind of sounds like using really small data samples to draw conclusions. Didn't we agree that was a bad idea?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah OK, so then -- wait a minute, that kind of sounds like using really small data samples to draw conclusions. Didn't we agree that was a bad idea?
statistically speaking it isnt. we use thew same model in FMEA's here. finding statistical weak points in data to find a failure mode. generally, a sample size over 30 is considered valid. thats why i broke it down by road location, where he was at his worst.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
statistically speaking it isnt. we use thew same model in FMEA's here. finding statistical weak points in data to find a failure mode. generally, a sample size over 30 is considered valid. thats why i broke it down by road location, where he was at his worst.

If you want to use a 30 PA sample as the threshold then I only see 2 "bad" stadiums for Rice in 1978 anyway. He was bad in Toronto and Baltimore and excellent in Cleveland, Detroit, New York and of course Boston.

I mean, I'm just not seeing a good reason to significantly ignore what Rice's general home/road splits seem to be telling us about what he did that season.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to use a 30 PA sample as the threshold then I only see 2 "bad" stadiums for Rice in 1978 anyway. He was bad in Toronto and Baltimore and excellent in Cleveland, Detroit, New York and of course Boston.

I mean, I'm just not seeing a good reason to significantly ignore what Rice's general home/road splits seem to be telling us about what he did that season.
i'm not.

im just showing where he was REALLY bad, as you pointed out. .063 or some shit in one place. that doesnt help.
then he hits .314 in yankee stadium.