• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

biggest mistake of the decade for the skins

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading up to draft Robert Griffin III in 2012

Imagine writing this article five years ago. At the time, the blurb on the Washington Redskins would have been a no-brainer.

After all, the team's decision to give defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth a seven-year, $100 million contract in 2009 has become a cautionary tale for those who get excited about free agency. Haynesworth had been an All-Pro in each of the previous two seasons, but he played just 20 games in Washington and was out of the league just three years after signing that deal.

Yup, you'd have written this article five years ago and you wouldn't have remotely considered another mistake, let alone the Redskins' decision to trade up to select Robert Griffin III second overall in the previous year's draft.

In 2013, Griffin was coming off the highest-rated season for a rookie quarterback in NFL history. He was the reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year, a Pro Bowler and one of the brightest young stars in the game.

But Griffin was also recovering from a major knee injury, suffered in a playoff loss to the Seahawks. And he never fully recovered, even if the doctors said so. He wasn't the same as a sophomore, his third season was derailed by injuries and poor play, and he didn't see the field at all in Year 4. That led to his release, a wretched one-year stint in Cleveland and then a one-year hiatus from the NFL.

He's back now and trying to earn a roster spot in Baltimore, but the Redskins lost the return on their investment long ago.

Washington surrendered three first-round picks and a second-rounder in exchange for one great season from RG3. And considering the Redskins didn't win a playoff game in that one great season, it's a mistake that casts a larger shadow than even Haynesworth.

here is my submission

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there it is again Kirk was never going sign period move on .. I hate articles like this

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rg3 was awesome his rookie year

AT That time haynesworth was the best DT in the game

And as for Kirk he wanted out anyways and karma will get his ass

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst mistake in decade was when we won the east in 2014 and in 2015 we didn't approach free agencie and snatched up alot good players if you win a diviion that next year load up

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes if we make the playoffs this year the right move next year is cerrto free agents load the fuck up and draft good stay ahead of other teams don' let them catch up

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Griffin trade no doubt was the biggest mistake of the decade.

Not so sure about 2 and 3 as of right now though. The Haynesworth deal was terrible for the Skins any which way you slice it. But what exactly was lost aside from Snyder money? Not re-signing Kirk was a mistake......at least it is at this present time imo. It hasn't hurt us, at least not yet. And if the Skins under Smith do somehow manage to win double digit games. Or win double digit games and land a playoff spot. Or win double digit games and win a playoff game................or two.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Griffin trade no doubt was the biggest mistake of the decade.

Not so sure about 2 and 3 as of right now though. The Haynesworth deal was terrible for the Skins any which way you slice it. But what exactly was lost aside from Snyder money? Not re-signing Kirk was a mistake......at least it is at this present time imo. It hasn't hurt us, at least not yet. And if the Skins under Smith do somehow manage to win double digit games. Or win double digit games and land a playoff spot. Or win double digit games and win a playoff game................or two.

Not resigning KC has hurt us immensely. Not only did we lose a good QB, we lost Fuller, a third which could have been Mason Rudolph, and we have lost a lot of money toward the cap. Can you imagine having KC under contract at 19 mil per season, or even crazier 14 million?

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not resigning KC has hurt us immensely. Not only did we lose a good QB, we lost Fuller, a third which could have been Mason Rudolph, and we have lost a lot of money toward the cap. Can you imagine having KC under contract at 19 mil per season, or even crazier 14 million?

Yeah, we could be sitting pretty with Kirk under contract at 19 mill per. Not sure he'd be a happy camper at only a discounted 14 mill per. I get what you're saying though. Retaining Fuller and the 3rd rd pk would've been sweet as well. That said...........

While not necessarily disagreeing with what you say. I'm gonna try and stay fair to middlin and hope for the best. And there is reason to be hopeful. The most important aspect/unit of a defense, at least imo, has finally and properly been addressed the last couple years. We finally, if all reports are to be believed, have a legitimate bell cow is Guice. If Smith, who is not a massive downgrade from Kirk imo. Can play relatively mistake free ball and get the passing game functioning on a decent to pretty good level. Maybe we'll make a little noise this season.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst mistake in decade was when we won the east in 2014 and in 2015 we didn't approach free agencie and snatched up alot good players if you win a diviion that next year load up

with what money ?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we could be sitting pretty with Kirk under contract at 19 mill per. Not sure he'd be a happy camper at only a discounted 14 mill per. I get what you're saying though. Retaining Fuller and the 3rd rd pk would've been sweet as well. That said...........

While not necessarily disagreeing with what you say. I'm gonna try and stay fair to middlin and hope for the best. And there is reason to be hopeful. The most important aspect/unit of a defense, at least imo, has finally and properly been addressed the last couple years. We finally, if all reports are to be believed, have a legitimate bell cow is Guice. If Smith, who is not a massive downgrade from Kirk imo. Can play relatively mistake free ball and get the passing game functioning on a decent to pretty good level. Maybe we'll make a little noise this season.

There is reason to be hopeful. I agree with that statement. We are adrssing the defensive line and the unit as a whole could be much better this season. We do finally have a RB with some assemblance of talent.

Where I differ in opinion is the ability of Alex Smith. I think he is a fairly large downgrade from KC, but that could be masked with an improved and healthy defense and run game. I would have loved to see KC with a top ten defense and a top ten run game.

When people talk of mistake free football, I do chuckle a bit. Game situations matter. Either AS is never really behind, or when he is, he plays like a coward rather than playing to comeback.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 trade.

Not resigning Big Cuz when they could have done so at a discount.

I would count the Haynseworthless fiasco but that falls in the previous decade, and sacking Marty, after one year, for Steve Spurious, was a bigger goof.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is reason to be hopeful. I agree with that statement. We are adrssing the defensive line and the unit as a whole could be much better this season. We do finally have a RB with some assemblance of talent.

Where I differ in opinion is the ability of Alex Smith. I think he is a fairly large downgrade from KC, but that could be masked with an improved and healthy defense and run game. I would have loved to see KC with a top ten defense and a top ten run game.

When people talk of mistake free football, I do chuckle a bit. Game situations matter. Either AS is never really behind, or when he is, he plays like a coward rather than playing to comeback.

Yeah, I would've liked to have seen what KC could've done with a defense and a run game myself. guess we'll find out year.

No doubt game situations matter. I thought AS came up money a few times last year. He did against us anyways. He's done some good things the last few years.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it have to be personnel?

To me its Bruce Allen. 1) SM handling 2) Cousins botching 3) Sending a message to the fans that you are not trying to win a SB and only trying to remain relevant by trading for Alex Smith.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes if we make the playoffs this year the right move next year is cerrto free agents load the fuck up and draft good stay ahead of other teams don' let them catch up

Ridiculous for multiple reasons. For starters the Redskins have a bad track record in terms of acquiring free agents especially when they go after the big name, high $$ FAs. What makes you believe it will be different moving fwd? Beyond that - with very few exceptions - SB champs from the last 20+ years have NOT been assembled by acquiring big name, big $$ FAs. Thinks of teams like the Pats, Steelers, Giants, Seahawks, etc. They were primarily built via the draft & an occasional FA.

The Skins simply need to keep building via the draft & supplementing w/ somewhat lesser, effective free agents. They certainly have been more focused in this area over the last several offseasons - at least they are retaining picks & this could help them moving fwd. Sure they have spent big at times - Norman, Jackson & somewhat in trade for Smith - but this appears to be more the exception than the rule. We will see.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it have to be personnel?

To me its Bruce Allen. 1) SM handling 2) Cousins botching 3) Sending a message to the fans that you are not trying to win a SB and only trying to remain relevant by trading for Alex Smith.

Those aren't bad choices. I have wondered how if at all would things be different had we retained Scotty Mac and let Allen go. While he certainly wasn't a true believer when it came to Kirk. I gotta believe SM gets a handle on the situation before the 23.9 mill salary for last season officially kicked in. We'd still have Fuller and our 3rd rd pk.

That said.....SM got caught up in that fantasy football I'm so clever mindset bullshit imo. Which led to some terrible signings on his part. The CB from Frisco. The safety who was a career STer that was automatically penciled in as a starter to open up the 2015 season. That other supposed ST demon from Seattle that never busted a grape.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those aren't bad choices. I have wondered how if at all would things be different had we retained Scotty Mac and let Allen go. While he certainly wasn't a true believer when it came to Kirk. I gotta believe SM gets a handle on the situation before the 23.9 mill salary for last season officially kicked in. We'd still have Fuller and our 3rd rd pk.

That said.....SM got caught up in that fantasy football I'm so clever mindset bullshit imo. Which led to some terrible signings on his part. The CB from Frisco. The safety who was a career STer that was automatically penciled in as a starter to open up the 2015 season. That other supposed ST demon from Seattle that never busted a grape.

Yeah Burton and Jeron Johnson sucked.

I think Culliver caught a bad injury break though.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So

Many

To

Choose

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for nothing. But shouldnt the RG3 trade, and refusing to sign Kirk be one mistake. Because reality is, they refused to sign Kirk because they couldnt give up on RG3 until it was too late to sign Kirk for a reasonable amount.