• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Better Call Saul

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very worried for Nacho now that Gus is keen to him. Don't want to see him die. Why did Gus save Hector (again)? The tension w Hector, Nacho and Nacho's dad is incredible.
On Talking Saul, they said that Was the ultimate power play by Gus. He told Salamanca that HE was in complete control of when he would die. In Gus's opinion, dying of a heart attack is too humane a death for Hector.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Talking Saul, they said that Was the ultimate power play by Gus. He told Salamanca that HE was in complete control of when he would die. In Gus's opinion, dying of a heart attack is too humane a death for Hector.

Interesting. I never watch the Talking shows. That makes sense.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome finale. Jimmy has a heart after all, and Chuck turned out to be the truly evil one. Loved how his own dagger of a comment is what sent him off the cliff. What an epic meltdown for the ages. I imagine that losing Chuck to death, and losing his pay day in exchange for putting Irene back together with her friends is what will finally send Jimmy off of his own cliff - and fully transform him into Saul.

Very worried for Nacho now that Gus is keen to him. Don't want to see him die. Why did Gus save Hector (again)? The tension w Hector, Nacho and Nacho's dad is incredible.

I didn't watch talking Saul but ya I felt right away it was because it was too easy of a way out.

Just like when Gus stopped Mike from the quick bullet to the head.

Gus wants it slow, he wants it on his terms and he wants Hector to know he's his bitch

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch talking Saul but ya I felt right away it was because it was too easy of a way out.

Just like when Gus stopped Mike from the quick bullet to the head.

Gus wants it slow, he wants it on his terms and he wants Hector to know he's his bitch

I'm still surprised Jimmy did not shoot Chuck in the head.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome finale. Jimmy has a heart after all, and Chuck turned out to be the truly evil one. Loved how his own dagger of a comment is what sent him off the cliff. What an epic meltdown for the ages. I imagine that losing Chuck to death, and losing his pay day in exchange for putting Irene back together with her friends is what will finally send Jimmy off of his own cliff - and fully transform him into Saul.

Very confused by your summation of the Season 3 finale. We always knew Jimmy had a heart. That's the whole premise of the show- that Jimmy is a guy who means the world well but constantly screws everything up for himself and everyone and ultimately will become too ambitious and too involved with the underworld for his own good. Him apologizing to Chuck after he basically ruined his political career (albeit, for a good and self-preservant reason) is in line with everything we've seen from Jimmy in these 3 seasons of Better Call Saul.

And I don't understand your comments about Chuck at all. Chuck had a point with everything he said about Jimmy- Jimmy does have a tendency to screw people over and then apologize later when he's emerged victorious and there's nothing he can do to change what he did.

More importantly, Chuck was not evil. At the very least, that's not how the show intended to depict him. He suffered from a mental disorder, and was envious and angry at his brother. Did he do and say some mean, ill-spirited things to Jimmy (and Howard at the end)? Yes. But so did Jimmy. And Chuck never broke the law to achieve what he desired.

Everything about Chuck's arc was perfectly executed. He was presented as a jealous jerk throughout ~the first two seasons, but like nearly every character in this show, he wasn't all-evil. He was embarrassed by Jimmy in front of all his peers and ex-wife whom he still loved in his own field, and then told to retire by his former partner, and then went full Howard Hughes with his mental disorder, and ultimately decided to kill himself because he had nothing left to live for. That is what you call a sympathetic character.

I'm not saying I like Chuck (at least, someone like Chuck in real life. I loved the character and Michael McKean's performance). But he was a sympathetic character, and wasn't all-evil. He was understandably jealous of his brother who always got away and sometimes even rewarded with bending the law while he walked the straight and narrow. And he ultimately was self-consumed by his own mental disorder.

Last edited:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BCS S1: 3.5/5 stars
BCS S2: 4.5/5 stars
BCS S3: 5/5 stars

One of about 20 or 25 TV seasons I've awarded a perfect 5/5 star rating to, and it definitely deserved and earned it. The scene with Chuck tearing down his walls was one of the most heart-breaking scenes in cinematic history; at least I thought that until I realized what that kicking noise was.

What was amazing about this episode; and, honestly, the entire series of BCS, is how awesome it can be while being anti-climatic. Take this episode. There was no bad-ass lawyer scene. There was no shootout. There was no Walter White throwing chemicals out of a window and blowing up half the building. But the episode was still amazing. You really have to give credit to Gilligan and co. for creating a world so captivating with so little actual bad-assery going on.

Much like the TV series I'm watching right now, The Leftovers (S1: 4/5 stars), BCS proves that a show can be focused solely on character development, motives, and interactions, and still be awesome. No rotating-machine-gun-killing-a-whole-gang-of-Neo-Nazi's needed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized...

Mike was not in the finale, and it was never mentioned.

How the f could you have a finale without Mike, and the finale get applauded the way this one has been.

Gilligan is an evil genius.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized...

How the f could you have a finale without Mike, and the finale get applauded the way this one has been.

I know they (Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul) are just television shows providing entertainment, and in the long run aren't really significant aspects of our lives....but.... I must confess that my life is better with Vince Gilligan's contributions to the entertainment field. Gilligan is an artistic genius.

Moreover....
If our planet was about to be destroyed, and an alien race of benefactors decided to provide an arc ship to save 0.1% of our species (approx. seven million humans), I believe Gilligan should be among those seven million saved.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice how Jimmy said that he will have to find new clients as elderly people won't touch him with a 10 foot pole? What kind of new "clients" are you guys thinking?

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very confused by your summation of the Season 3 finale. We always knew Jimmy had a heart. That's the whole premise of the show- that Jimmy is a guy who means the world well but constantly screws everything up for himself and everyone and ultimately will become too ambitious and too involved with the underworld for his own good. Him apologizing to Chuck after he basically ruined his political career (albeit, for a good and self-preservant reason) is in line with everything we've seen from Jimmy in these 3 seasons of Better Call Saul.

And I don't understand your comments about Chuck at all. Chuck had a point with everything he said about Jimmy- Jimmy does have a tendency to screw people over and then apologize later when he's emerged victorious and there's nothing he can do to change what he did.

More importantly, Chuck was not evil. At the very least, that's not how the show intended to depict him. He suffered from a mental disorder, and was envious and angry at his brother. Did he do and say some mean, ill-spirited things to Jimmy (and Howard at the end)? Yes. But so did Jimmy. And Chuck never broke the law to achieve what he desired.

Everything about Chuck's arc was perfectly executed. He was presented as a jealous jerk throughout ~the first two seasons, but like nearly every character in this show, he wasn't all-evil. He was embarrassed by Jimmy in front of all his peers and ex-wife whom he still loved in his own field, and then told to retire by his former partner, and then went full Howard Hughes with his mental disorder, and ultimately decided to kill himself because he had nothing left to live for. That is what you call a sympathetic character.

I'm not saying I like Chuck (at least, someone like Chuck in real life. I loved the character and Michael McKean's performance). But he was a sympathetic character, and wasn't all-evil. He was understandably jealous of his brother who always got away and sometimes even rewarded with bending the law while he walked the straight and narrow. And he ultimately was self-consumed by his own mental disorder.
Jimmy helped Chuck a lot while he was really sick, and his time was never acknowledged. But he's sick, so we can look past that. However, Chuck not letting Jimmy know his mothers last words, before he was sick, makes him evil. DIAF Chuck!

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even though they mentioned losing his pay day I don't really get that. Didn't they already settle?

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized...

And they never came back to the missing husband story after mike found him.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refresh my memory...

:scratch:

In season two, Mike hijacked one of Hector’s trucks; the good Samaritan who later found the truck and its occupants and called it into the police was tracked down by Salamanca, killed and buried. Mike felt responsible for the death of the good Samaritan, which is why he initially wanted to kill Salamanca himself before Gus intervened at the end of season two. In the latter part of the third season, Mike became friendly with a woman who is a member of his daughter-in-law’s support group. This woman’s husband mysteriously disappeared on a hiking trip seven or eight years earlier; she has no idea what happened to him, and her story inspires Mike to try easing his conscience for the death of the good Samaritan. Mike gets Nacho to tell him where the Samaritan’s body was buried; Mike locates the body and calls in an anonymous tip to the police so that the Samaritan’s family can hopefully get the type of closure that the woman from the support group hasn’t been able to realize.

Last edited:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game of thrones might have something to say about that.

I like Game of Thrones but even it has more poor choices in the writing or directing department than what Gilligan does. The thing about BB and BCS is that they feel perfect, you're hardpressed to ever say "well, they could have done that part better" or, "that part wasn't very good".