• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals vs. Rams - MNF

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gameday..... Apparently Joe Burrow is set to play. You can really see this going a million different ways - Hard to get a feel here.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get your popcorn ready.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense good
Money Mac, still good
Chase finally got loose
Higgins had butter on his gloves, but he'll recover
Mixon is not a crook
Burrow managed, but needs more reps.
Rams suck, but a-a-ron is still trouble

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am awfully surprised Burrow made it through the whole game. As big of a fan as I am, I was really hoping they would replace him at halftime with Browning. But, Burrow fought back and played better in that second half. His accuracy is not his normal accuracy right now. Dude was floating balls where guys would never get to them, especially on the sidelines.

I am glad we won, the defense played great minus a couple plays. Burrow needs more time and we better hope this lingering around the starting lineup doesn't take him out for the season at some point. He has to improve though, because this is not a playoff team if it doesn't re-find that magic it had the last couple years.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am awfully surprised Burrow made it through the whole game. As big of a fan as I am, I was really hoping they would replace him at halftime with Browning. But, Burrow fought back and played better in that second half. His accuracy is not his normal accuracy right now. Dude was floating balls where guys would never get to them, especially on the sidelines.

I am glad we won, the defense played great minus a couple plays. Burrow needs more time and we better hope this lingering around the starting lineup doesn't take him out for the season at some point. He has to improve though, because this is not a playoff team if it doesn't re-find that magic it had the last couple years.
I agree. The offense can't do that every week if we are going to succeed. But, on the plus side, we had some really decent pass protection outside of a few great Donald rushes. The Rams clearly new what we were going to do (all shotgun, all RPO) and we mostly moved the ball on them anyway. The offense would have looked much different if we didn't have the presnap penalties (not excusable at home) and if Tee didn't drop several open passes. So, overall, I think there were some things they can build on. If Burrow can get a bit more healthy, we can continue to add and if they keep using Chase the way they did last night, they'll be okay.

I was thrilled to see the pass rush return. I know the Rams were missing some guys, but Lou really dialed some shit up and the D took over the game. We need a bunch of that this season and if we can steal a few games with our D, then that will help while Burrow gets back to playing shape.

Dax Hill is a ball player. He brings a new dynamic to that position as he is much more physical than Jesse Bates. My guess is that if he was playing next a better player, he would look even better. I think Nick Scott is a significant downgrade from Vonn Bell and I hope one of the young guys can beat him out.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see them set Burrow about 1.5 yards deeper...with the calf, I'd like him to have that extra room. It seemed at times the interior really just ate up LG/C. I mean, Donald will do that to anyone, but especially knowing that LG is still relatively young...putting him up against a HOF, especially late in the game when they KNEW the Bengals would run...just sets the offense up for failure.

I'd love to see the utilization of the middle of the field compared to the 1st two weeks. It seemed like there were a LOT more attempts into the middle of that zone.

Biggest disappointment out of this game was the lack of aggression by the WR's at times. Higgins had a ball smacked out of his hands. Boyd had a ball ripped away for an INT. Need to get more aggressive with catching the ball, IMO.

Rams had a couple of players where WR's got wide open with motion. Good to have that on tape for Lou to correct. Hill not getting back deep on the last drive, and CTB not sliding out to cover the WR on the TD catch come immediately to mind, but there were others. When they had trips out, the DB's really struggled to know who was taking who.

Really thought the offense had some nice new plays and motions to get guys open. Need to keep at it and keep adding. Need to also do the same with the running game...the OL is going to get holes...they need to scheme a bit better formation-wise to keep the defense guessing/honest.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see them set Burrow about 1.5 yards deeper...with the calf, I'd like him to have that extra room. It seemed at times the interior really just ate up LG/C. I mean, Donald will do that to anyone, but especially knowing that LG is still relatively young...putting him up against a HOF, especially late in the game when they KNEW the Bengals would run...just sets the offense up for failure.

I'd love to see the utilization of the middle of the field compared to the 1st two weeks. It seemed like there were a LOT more attempts into the middle of that zone.

Biggest disappointment out of this game was the lack of aggression by the WR's at times. Higgins had a ball smacked out of his hands. Boyd had a ball ripped away for an INT. Need to get more aggressive with catching the ball, IMO.

Rams had a couple of players where WR's got wide open with motion. Good to have that on tape for Lou to correct. Hill not getting back deep on the last drive, and CTB not sliding out to cover the WR on the TD catch come immediately to mind, but there were others. When they had trips out, the DB's really struggled to know who was taking who.

Really thought the offense had some nice new plays and motions to get guys open. Need to keep at it and keep adding. Need to also do the same with the running game...the OL is going to get holes...they need to scheme a bit better formation-wise to keep the defense guessing/honest.
Communication was a bit of an issue.... The Rams run a lot of crossing stuff and if our pass rush didn't show up, it could have been ugly. But, we beat it by not giving Stafford time. I can't understand teams that abandon the run against us - The games that we have lost with Lou have been against teams that establish and keep milking the run. We're much more effective against teams that want to air it out at all costs. I disagree about Hill on that last drive. I think that was Chido's responsibility given the way the routes were run - This was mentioned by Orlasky on the broadcast and I find his film takes to normally be spot-on.

I thought Burrow's interception came on one of his best passes all night. I agree that Boyd can't let that one get away. I'm a little worried about Tee. He seemed completely checked out of the game against the Browns and he was a mess last night. Playing in a contract year with a limited QB is not easy on a receiver - So far, I can't say he's handling it particularly well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Communication was a bit of an issue.... The Rams run a lot of crossing stuff and if our pass rush didn't show up, it could have been ugly. But, we beat it by not giving Stafford time. I can't understand teams that abandon the run against us - The games that we have lost with Lou have been against teams that establish and keep milking the run. We're much more effective against teams that want to air it out at all costs. I disagree about Hill on that last drive. I think that was Chido's responsibility given the way the routes were run - This was mentioned by Orlasky on the broadcast and I find his film takes to normally be spot-on.

I thought Burrow's interception came on one of his best passes all night. I agree that Boyd can't let that one get away. I'm a little worried about Tee. He seemed completely checked out of the game against the Browns and he was a mess last night. Playing in a contract year with a limited QB is not easy on a receiver - So far, I can't say he's handling it particularly well.
Yeah, they talked about the Hill thing...it's hard to say without actually knowing the play-call, but I'd give Cheeto the benefit of the doubt there...looked like he was in a flat cover 2 zone of some kind...Hill just read it wrong...but those things do happen, and like I said, good to have that on tape after a win where they can learn. Same for all the motion and crossing stuff. Good stuff on a film review day to tighten up.

100% agreed on Higgins. I remarked to a buddy last night that he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on the field. Having that ball knocked out of his hands was, to me, telling about his mental preparedness...let alone the 2-3-4 drops that were stone cold. I don't really fault him for the PI..that could have been an easy no-call. They were both hand-checking...and Higgins extended his arms a little too much. Won't fault the call there, but I don't think it is 100% on Higgins, either.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other note from the game - The tackle play was terrific. Apparently Jonah pitched a perfect game in pass protection which is a major step for him as he becomes more familiar with RT. Brown looked good again and I think he's had 3 pretty good games to begin his career here. Volson looked terrible..... Lots of folks look bad against Aaron Donald so context is needed. But, you have to start wondering whether they would get more out of Max Scharping taking over for a spell. Volson's limited athletic potential seems to be holding him back.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I don’t know that people realize how much pain, limited mobility he was in. For him to gut it out last night and make enough plays to win, like I texted him, that’s what great competitors do.” - cincinnati.com source, Aaron Rodgers talking about Joe Burrow.