• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals at Steelers

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Countdown to the inevitable letdown...and I’m not talking about the game. 2B35FCC3-FC8C-465E-97B6-DD9F6B1396C3.jpeg

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God damn that retarded movie to hell

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Per ProfootballTalk:

Last year at this time, it was widely reported and believed that Bengals coach Marvin Lewis would leave Cincinnati. And then he didn’t, signing a new two-year deal at a time when either side could have walked away.

So what will happen this year?

Few are reporting or saying much about it, likely for fear of being wrong, again. As of this posting, even the Bengals assistant coaches don’t know what’s going on, and are actively trying to find out.

Some think Lewis will resign after the season, possibly to end his career in broadcasting — or maybe to land in Arizona as the replacement for Steve Wilks. (Lewis apparently has a retirement home in Phoenix, and he could move to that retirement home without actually retiring.)

As one source has explained it to PFT, the Cardinals actually considered making a run at Lewis a year ago, but ultimately decided against it. This year, after a failed season with Steve Wilks, maybe the Cardinals will decide otherwise.

So who would replace Marvin if/when he goes? Some still think Hue Jackson would get serious consideration, his dismal showing in Oakland and Cleveland notwithstanding. The possibility continues to have legs primarily because owner Mike Brown abhors change, and he will gravitate toward someone he knows.

And here’s where things could get very, very interesting. What if Brown decides to make a play for someone who used to be on the coaching staff? Someone who owns a large ranch in nearby Kentucky? Someone who may want to end his career without the never-ending stress and strain of a close-but-not-close-enough team that annually knocks on the door but can’t kick it in?

Yes, some think that the Mike Brown may try to hire Mike Zimmer (if Marvin goes), and some think Zimmer possibly would be interested. Much would depend on whether the Vikings would be willing to let Zimmer leave, and on whether the Vikings would want significant compensation for doing so.

For clarity, this is nothing more than semi-informed spitballing at this point, not nearly as strong as the very-informed spitballing from early last February, when we pointed out on multiple occasions that noise was building that Josh McDaniels would jilt the Colts. But if Marvin leaves — and no one but Marvin seems to know if he will — the dominoes could fall in all sorts of unexpected ways in Cincinnati.

Will Marvin Lewis stay or go?

So any of the above could happen or more likely Marvin signs a lifetime contract and then proceeds to smear his own feces on every residential door in Hamilton County. Might be a trick Pacman taught him once upon a time?

Back to the unsubstantiated rumors and rumblings, I also heard (for real) on ESPN per Chris Mortensen that Mikey is eyeing to depart when Marvin does...at least as in vacating his position as it is now. Not...ya know...

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I find the Arizona rumor strange. Lewis will be 61 next year and that Cardinals team is about to go into full rebuilding mode in a tough division. I don't see why it would be a good fit for either side.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also sign me up for Zimmer as Head Coach with Hue Jackson as OC/Playcaller

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something tells me that the AZ rumor isn't crazy. The Bidwell family is like the Brown family - They don't feel the need to be popular. The Cards best recent success was with an old coach and maybe they are second guessing chasing coordinators that don't have experience. Plus, the Bidwells used to be considered cheap (not sure if that still rings true) and Marvin would likely come cheap.

The Zimmer rumor doesn't really make much sense. I can definitely see him coming back to the Bengals if he has several losing seasons and loses his job in Minny. But he's been very successful there (compared to the folks that came before him) and I can't see why their organization would want him gone.... Unless the owners are getting tired of him firing all of his offensive coordinators. Besides, a coaching staff of Zimmer, Hue, and Joseph would be too good to be true for Bengals fans. We can't have nice things.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see the bengals, if they score a touchdown, to do a celebration mocking Ju Ju fumbling and crying last week

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cody Core just dislocated his left elbow. Arm immobilized.

Lots of Auden Tate rest of the day. Unless Marvin thinks Sam Hubbard is a better option.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers wake up in the 2nd half. 24-10 Steelers

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great season of Bengals football in the books!

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see the bengals, if they score a touchdown, to do a celebration mocking Ju Ju fumbling and crying last week

This was my hope.... Unfortunately we only scored one touchdown.... And it was by a guy that clearly had no idea how he did it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man...Pitt is bad.

I mean, kudos for the last men standing in a Bengals uniform after all the injuries, but the Steelers really, really struggled to put away a very bad Bengals team.

There are flashes of the old Ben, but far and away, too often, he is not very good. The defense is smoke and mirrors. The end is nearer than, I think, many will want to admit. That team is one major injury away from a 5 win season.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man...Pitt is bad.

I mean, kudos for the last men standing in a Bengals uniform after all the injuries, but the Steelers really, really struggled to put away a very bad Bengals team.

There are flashes of the old Ben, but far and away, too often, he is not very good. The defense is smoke and mirrors. The end is nearer than, I think, many will want to admit. That team is one major injury away from a 5 win season.

What's funny is how the national media decided that Pittsburgh didn't really need Le'veon Bell.... As if he wasn't a difference maker on their team. I think they missed him a ton - He was good for taking over a few games per year and he changed how defenses played them. That offense yesterday really struggled against a unit that was just shredded by Baker Mayfield the week before.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What's funny is how the national media decided that Pittsburgh didn't really need Le'veon Bell.... As if he wasn't a difference maker on their team. I think they missed him a ton - He was good for taking over a few games per year and he changed how defenses played them. That offense yesterday really struggled against a unit that was just shredded by Baker Mayfield the week before.

They would have been better with Bell but they still finished 4th in yards and 6th in points over the course of the season.

It's tough to manage a salary cap if your QB, WR and RB all make elite money and for the Steelers the one to let go from that group would be Bell imo. It is odd that they didn't trade him when it was obvious he wasn't going to report.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have been better with Bell but they still finished 4th in yards and 6th in points over the course of the season.

It's tough to manage a salary cap if your QB, WR and RB all make elite money and for the Steelers the one to let go from that group would be Bell imo. It is odd that they didn't trade him when it was obvious he wasn't going to report.

I think its safe to say that no coaching staff did less with more than the Steelers. Losing to a team like Oakland late in the season was just inexcusable.

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. Even we managed to whip Oakland...with Driskel no less.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh wasn't even trying and still beat the Bengals. they had no motivation, they were pretty much out of the playoffs already.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh wasn't even trying and still beat the Bengals. they had no motivation, they were pretty much out of the playoffs already.

Couldn't disagree more.