• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals at Dolphins

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many people argued trade Burrow for the draft picks. The Dolphins had all the draft picks and they are sitting at 1-6 two years later.
This is one of those "love being wrong" moments.

To be fair, I made that argument because I thought the offensive line would get Burrow murdered, and they did their best to try. Thank Jeebus sports medicine in 2020 is so much better than it ever has been and Joe Burrow is one of the coldest muthas to wear stripes.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now Miami is ready to send 3 FIRST rounds for a QB who, while better, may or may not be available - and likely won't be nearly as good as he was in Texas because of how poor the OL is in Miami.

Not to mention likely re-doing his contract, taking up more cap space, while losing no less than 4-5 draft picks (more will be included than just the 3 first rounders). So, no other cheap options.

Miami is screwing this up all the way around. I don't think Tua is elite - I think he reminds me a lot of a bit more talented Dalton, to be honest. A guy with a decent arm, decent pocket stuff, but seems to make bad progression/reads at the worst time. A guy, who if everything goes right (See Dalton 2015) can win you a lot of games, but isn't likely to be a guy who takes over a game.

They are better off building up with those draft picks, and then deciding if they need to move on from Tua in another year, or two. While I wasn't a fan of the pick, I don't think jettisoning him at this point is the right move, either. Especially considering what they are going to give up.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now Miami is ready to send 3 FIRST rounds for a QB who, while better, may or may not be available - and likely won't be nearly as good as he was in Texas because of how poor the OL is in Miami.

Not to mention likely re-doing his contract, taking up more cap space, while losing no less than 4-5 draft picks (more will be included than just the 3 first rounders). So, no other cheap options.

Miami is screwing this up all the way around. I don't think Tua is elite - I think he reminds me a lot of a bit more talented Dalton, to be honest. A guy with a decent arm, decent pocket stuff, but seems to make bad progression/reads at the worst time. A guy, who if everything goes right (See Dalton 2015) can win you a lot of games, but isn't likely to be a guy who takes over a game.

They are better off building up with those draft picks, and then deciding if they need to move on from Tua in another year, or two. While I wasn't a fan of the pick, I don't think jettisoning him at this point is the right move, either. Especially considering what they are going to give up.
Miami's biggest problem was that they over-performed last season. When Brian Flores took over in 2019, they were looking at a complete rebuild.... They won 5 games in 2019 which was shocking. Perhaps even more shocking, they won 10 games last year. I think this has changed their thinking too much - Leading them to believe that they are really just one piece away. With all those draft picks in place, with a steady focus could have really paid dividends. But, as you mention, now they are going to blow all of their draft capital on a top prospect that they'll sell for pennies on the dollar (Tua) and a guy that comes in as talented, but damaged goods (Watson). Oh, and Watson is going to take up a bunch of the cap, so improvements will be tough.

Besides, isn't South Florida full of sketchy massage parlors? How will this end well?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami's biggest problem was that they over-performed last season. When Brian Flores took over in 2019, they were looking at a complete rebuild.... They won 5 games in 2019 which was shocking. Perhaps even more shocking, they won 10 games last year. I think this has changed their thinking too much - Leading them to believe that they are really just one piece away. With all those draft picks in place, with a steady focus could have really paid dividends. But, as you mention, now they are going to blow all of their draft capital on a top prospect that they'll sell for pennies on the dollar (Tua) and a guy that comes in as talented, but damaged goods (Watson). Oh, and Watson is going to take up a bunch of the cap, so improvements will be tough.

Besides, isn't South Florida full of sketchy massage parlors? How will this end well?
Agreed. Starting Fitz, and winning games shifted their focus last year, and they strayed from the path of the rebuild. Now, they aren't winning, and lost 2 years (last year, this year) in the process.

Honestly, it seems like a Bengals thing to have had happen...but the Bengals never strayed from losing to win....LOL

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

They spent a top 5 pick on Tua coming off a major injury. I can't believe they're willing to bail on him this early. He's a year and a half younger than Burrow and has been serviceable as a starter so far. Who knows how good he can be in a year.

Also ignoring Watson's off the field issues his only statistically great season was when his team won 4 games. Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott got killed for putting up big numbers on poor teams. He was getting MVP hype last year.
Watson is very good but I'm not sure he's great. The Panthers have a Championship caliber roster if they had a problem caliber QB. I get the move on their end but not the Dolphins.