• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BeerSci: Never Drink Beer From A Clear Glass Bottle

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most beers which come in clear glass bottles are lagers or lager-brewed ales, which means they are almost certainly stored refrigerated. Unless you leave your refrigerator door open all the time, the beers will likely not skunk because there is still no light getting to them.

A beer distributor/liquor store with employees who know what they're doing will take this under advisement when stocking the shelves, as well, to limit the amount of light the beer is exposed to, be it by not putting many on the shelves at once, keeping them in lower-light regions of the store, or selling them in boxes/cases which block out light. If your beer in a clear or green bottle skunks, it's likely either your fault or the fault of the distributor.

But obviously the risk is reduced by using a brown bottle or eliminated entirely if the beer is canned, so it's just a question at that point of whether or not it is cost-effective to take that extra measure.

In any case, lagers, pilsners, and other cold-stored beers are the only styles which can be reasonably accommodated in clear or green bottles, and in my experience, those are the only styles which are found in clear or green bottles.

Pour the beer out of the can and into a glass then. :suds:

I'll still know in my heart that it once lived in a can and I could never enjoy it the way it was intended. :usa2: