• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Barberio's potential the reason why the Bolts didn't draft Jones?

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like the Bolts especially Steve Yzerman is very high on Mark Barberio. He's proven all he can at the AHL level and now he's pegged to make the Lightning team next season. I like Barberio but his defensive limitations worry me although I love his mobility, puck moving ability and the fact he's a PP QB. I think he'll have a promising future with in the NHL and this quote speaks of volumes of what the Lightning organization think of him, GM Steve Yzerman told me "he was comfortable not drafting Seth Jones because of Barberio's potential". Now i'm sure this wasn't the only reason why the bolts didn't elect to draft Seth Jones as we all know the talents of Mr. Drouin but I think this shows how high this organization is on Mark Barberio. I thought Barberio would find it hard to get playing time next season but from what I gather, I think the Bolts are going to play 7D a fair bit, more so than before giving Barberio time to really blossom.

In defense of Mark Barberio - Raw Charge

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank Danny, interesting article. I guess we'll see as season progresses which D-man prevails to be the better between the 2. Who was it last season that displayed, not often enough, that they knew how to throw an old fashioned hip check? I forget. But that is who I'd pair him up with. A physical guy that can separate a player from the puck & Barberio to snag it & show us his handling capabilities. Would be nice if he turns out to be another Dan Boyle! That man could handle a puck & was great for transitioning it to the offense! Only time will tell. I won't hold my breath waiting for this to happen, however, I will surely wish & hope it does. Would be nice to see the light at the end of this long, dark tunnel aka our D.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Barberio doesn't get talked much about considering what he's done the past 2 seasons for the Syracuse Crunch and Norfolk Admirals. At the same time, I don't think he was at all a factor when the Lightning chose Jonathan Drouin over Seth Jones. I think that Drouin was just the guy the Lightning wanted to draft. Not to undermine what Barberio has done the past 2 AHL seasons or anything, but AHL accomplishments would be the last thing on my mind when deciding between players like Jonathan Drouin & Seth Jones. Drouin has some Martin St. Louis & Patrick Kane qualities, that's why I think the Lightning took him with the #3 pick.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Barberio doesn't get talked much about considering what he's done the past 2 seasons for the Syracuse Crunch and Norfolk Admirals. At the same time, I don't think he was at all a factor when the Lightning chose Jonathan Drouin over Seth Jones. I think that Drouin was just the guy the Lightning wanted to draft. Not to undermine what Barberio has done the past 2 AHL seasons or anything, but AHL accomplishments would be the last thing on my mind when deciding between players like Jonathan Drouin & Seth Jones. Drouin has some Martin St. Louis & Patrick Kane qualities, that's why I think the Lightning took him with the #3 pick.
My view on it was a chance to put Drouin and stamkos together for the next 10 or 12 years was too good to pass up

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My view on it was a chance to put Drouin and stamkos together for the next 10 or 12 years was too good to pass up

Yup plus Drouin will be mentored by MStL, so you know he'll live up to his potential. I respect the writer for bringing attention to Mark Barberio, he's a good player with a bright future and deserves to be talked about. I just don't think Yzerman thought "who needs Seth Jones if we got Mark Barberio?"

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seth Jones will be an outstanding player for the next 15 years, Barberio is yet to show he can play in the NHL. No comparison. I think he played in one of the games I went to last year and my thoughts were " he needs more time in the AHL".

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seth Jones will be an outstanding player for the next 15 years, Barberio is yet to show he can play in the NHL. No comparison. I think he played in one of the games I went to last year and my thoughts were " he needs more time in the AHL".

I agree, as much as I respect Mark Barberio's game, he is nothing compared to Seth Jones. Really the only reason the Lightning passed up on Jones was because they liked Jonathan Drouin's talents. Mark Barberio probably had no influence on the decision whatsoever. If it were just about Mark Barberio then the Lightning would've drafted Seth Jones without any hesitation. Like I said, I have a great deal of respect for what Mark Barberio has done in the NHL, but Seth Jones will probably be the league's best dman within 5 seasons, really not even worth considering Mark Barberio when deciding to draft Seth Jones or not. it was really all about the Lightning liking Jonathan Drouin, nothing else.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down through the years Jones would have been a better Pick but the Lightning needed help now not years from now. Years ago if a good player lasted ten years he was doing good. Nowadays training and conditi oning are so much better. Lecavalier has lasted 15 years now ( one year in Russia ) and fourteen in NHL. Vinny has slowed noticeably in the last two years. I cant understand Philly giving him a four year contract, one I think they will regret.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My view on how some bad teams always mess up when they draft for need! don't do that draft the best player on your draft board. I really think yzerman looked at Jonathan Drouin and Seth Jones and picked who he thought would be the best player for the next 10 years. Plus it's smart to bring in drouin now at let him play with St.Louis for his last 2 seasons in the nhl the guy is a good role model. The question I have to people is who is going to be the better nhl player for the next 10 years Drouin or Jones ? That's how you build winning teams taking the best player you can in the drafts.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey is a game of instant decisions, its that fast. No one can teach anyone else how to play . You either have it or not. You don't have time to think what shall I do now. You just play by instinct. Anyone who has ever played understands that. Drouin will be just fine, he already has that instinct.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it's easier to find forward talent than it is to find defensive talent. I'll stick to my previous answer for this question too. Only time will tell which one will be better in the NHL. However, one cheap shot by Cooke or anyone else and Drouin could end up like Vinny easily!

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the Bolts really need a transition game. I know a team should always draft the best talent available but maybe they should have thought a bit more and taken the best talented player that can transition the puck from defensive zone to offensive zone. Our D's passing really stunk last year. Very disappointing for the money being spent. If they could pass the puck, we wouldn't need Marty & Stamkos always helping out on D.