• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

At pick #21, I am good with

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OG Will Hernandez
OC Billy Price
OT Mike McGlinchey

Unless someone free falls here that should have been a borderline top 10 pick, like James Derwin, or something like that, then I think these 3 should be our focus.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Billy Price is not a 1st rounder. If they go center at 21, it’ll be James Daniels. I’d be okay with Hernandez. Not a huge fan of McGlinchey. But from a need standpoint he makes sense as a RT.

I also don’t want a safety in the first. LB is a much bigger need. Obviously Smith and Edmunds will be long gone by then, I’d be okay with Rashawn Evans at that spot.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals have held the 21st pick three different times in the last decade. We ended up with Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert and Cedric Og....whatever.

In other words - We'll probably fuck it up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price is the best C in the draft to me. So in my opinion, if he is not a first round selection then neither is James Daniels.

Some "experts" have McGlinchey as the most pro-ready tackle in the draft with a good ceiling. Especially at RT.

Will Hernandez is a stud, and all he could do is improve our offensive line.

I think a playmaker like Derwin James is always a need, especially in a pass heavy league. I don't see LB being a huge need, even though it can be addressed.

Yes, Burfict always manages to get suspended, but between Vigil, Brown, Lawson, Rey, Evans and Bell along with Burfict when healthy/unsuspended, I like our LB core for the most part.

I think an upgrade at S would be great, especially where Shawn Williams is concerned for a guy that can be a true star in this league (a la Polamalu or Reed). I love Derwin James, just think he will be way gone, but he could see a free fall depending on team needs drafting ahead of us, especially with other good players on the board with value in the secondary. Highly unlikely he would fall, but if he did, I don't think you should hesitate pulling the trigger at #21 for a guy like him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals have held the 21st pick three different times in the last decade. We ended up with Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert and Cedric Og....whatever.

In other words - We'll probably fuck it up.

Gresham had butter fingers, but wasn't terrible. Not when you compare him to other TE's we have had the previous 15 years. Then Eifert is an absolutely stud, when he is healthy. That was a great pick, had no idea he was so injury prone. Ogbuehi was considered a top 10 pick before his injury, so being able to wait a year for him to recover with Whit still entrenched as our starter, it made sense. No one thought he would be that huge of a flippin bust.

With the Bengals, you can take almost any draft spot and make a case for them screwing it up. lol I just think it is based on who falls and our needs at the time. I truly think need over comes best available, unless that need is just not worthy of that draft slot, then it becomes best available.

At least that is the way I am hoping it goes down.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price is the best C in the draft to me. So in my opinion, if he is not a first round selection then neither is James Daniels.

Why? Cause he’s a Buckeye? Daniels is a superior player. He’s stronger, better anchor at the point of attack. Been compared to Travis Frederick of the Cowboys.

I like Price too, but not in the 1st. He’s not a great pure center. His best attribute is his versatility between guard and center. He needs to get stronger. He’s also hurt...tore his pec at the combine.

Some "experts" have McGlinchey as the most pro-ready tackle in the draft with a good ceiling. Especially at RT.

The biggest knock on him is his struggles with speed rushers. The Bengals don’t need anymore tackles who can’t block anyone.

Will Hernandez is a stud, and all he could do is improve our offensive line.

Agreed. Love the dude. He needs to be the pick if he’s there.

I think a playmaker like Derwin James is always a need, especially in a pass heavy league. I don't see LB being a huge need, even though it can be addressed.

The Bengals have two above replacement level starting safeties. The only way they take a safety there is if they can get a Reggie Nelson center fielder ballhawk type. James fits that bill. He will be long gone by 21.

The rest of the safety prospects like Reid, Harrison, and others are all clones of what we have already. Box, tackling safeties who aren’t great in coverage.

Yes, Burfict always manages to get suspended, but between Vigil, Brown, Lawson, Rey, Evans and Bell along with Burfict when healthy/unsuspended, I like our LB core for the most part.

Really dude? The LB core is garbage. Has been for 20 years. Vigil sucks. Lawson is a pure pass rusher. Brown is on a 1 year deal. Rey is a spot starter/good backup. The rest are spares. How is LB not a huge need? When’s the last time TEs and RBs out of the backfield didn’t absolutely rip us to shreds?

Burfict has been carrying this unit ever since he arrived here. He’s an animal. He’s also increasing unreliable. At some point the Bengals are gonna have to make a decision there. They can’t keep hinging their hopes on a guy who is suspended/injured every fucking year.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Mike Brown would draft a QB even if our current QB wasn't all that bad... yea, that could still happen.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crash might be Geoff Hobson in real life.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gresham had butter fingers, but wasn't terrible. Not when you compare him to other TE's we have had the previous 15 years. Then Eifert is an absolutely stud, when he is healthy. That was a great pick, had no idea he was so injury prone. Ogbuehi was considered a top 10 pick before his injury, so being able to wait a year for him to recover with Whit still entrenched as our starter, it made sense. No one thought he would be that huge of a flippin bust.

With the Bengals, you can take almost any draft spot and make a case for them screwing it up. lol I just think it is based on who falls and our needs at the time. I truly think need over comes best available, unless that need is just not worthy of that draft slot, then it becomes best available.

At least that is the way I am hoping it goes down.

This is one of the most "Bengal statements" you can make. When compared to the rest of the trash we've had, he's really not that terrible. Is that anyway to grade a 1st round tight end? This is the same rationale that are fans use when defending Marvin Lewis.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the most "Bengal statements" you can make. When compared to the rest of the trash we've had, he's really not that terrible. Is that anyway to grade a 1st round tight end? This is the same rationale that are fans use when defending Marvin Lewis.

I can see where you would say that. He was not terrible though. I would say a league average TE, but for a 1st round pick, I can see how you guys would come to that conclusion. Problem is league average is pretty decent for most our 1st round picks since most are busts or never play. Our bread and butter is rounds 2-4.

I am not disappointed in the Gresham pick, we really needed a decent TE and he was decent.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

James Daniels (Projected Round mid to late 2nd rounder)
Weaknesses

• Played lighter than he needs to be as a pro
  • Has to continue to add functional mass to his frame
  • Power at the point of attack is average
  • Bull-rushers make him work overtime to maintain his anchor
  • Will struggle to recover if nose guards get hands on him first
  • Target points can be too high in pass sets causing hands to slide up and off opponent
  • Gets in a hurry to climb on top of second level linebacker and will leave initial block unsecured for guard next to him
  • Scheme didn't allow for much drive blocking
Granted, he is a decent prospect also, and trust me, i would not be disappointed if we drafted him in the 2nd round. However, if you are looking at potential 1st round C, I really think Price is the only clear cut 1st round center, and even his projection is iffy. If we are going to take a chance on one over the other at pick 21, I hope to hell it is Price, and it has absolutely nothing to do with him being a Buckeye. College football is one thing, but the pros is another animal, and in the pros, I am loyal to Bengals, not Buckeyes.

Mike McGlinchey on the other hand is a solid tackle prospect, that has a higher floor but maybe a lower ceiling than some boom or bust prospects being looked at in the first round. Last thing I want us to do is take another boom or bust prospect for the offensive line, and McGlinchey is more of a sure thing, and can be a league average RT for 10 years. Glenn and McGlinchey would be a decent duo I think. Plus, at 21, McGlinchey is not a reach anymore like he was at 12. So it is a comfortable pick.

Will Hernandez is still my favorite offensive line prospect minus Quenton Nelson. He would be a stud, and I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals play around with him and possible see how he works out part time as a backup center. Maybe he grasps the position and then we have a real mauler and man mover at center that can handle massive nose tackles.

As far as Derwin James is concerned, if that kind of talent is hanging around, you take him at 21. I, like you, think he will be way the hell gone by that pick, but if not, you run to the podium, regardless of how good of safeties we have. He will be a much better safety than Shawn Williams, more in the mold of that Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed type safety. He is worth drafting even with decent guys ahead of him in the depth chart.

Regarding our linebackers, I think Vigil is a decent young LB. I mean he is no Luke Kuechly but he is decent. Plus, I think we will be signing Preston Brown to a longer term contract near the end of the season. He is just the type of lunch pail type player Austin / Marvin will fall in love with. Doesn't get in trouble, local roots, tackling machine. Then you have Vontaze. Sucks he is always in trouble, but he makes that defense so much better when he is on the field. There are your three starting LB's, and while you want to call Lawson a rush only guy (true, that is what he is) he is still listed at LB. Plus, I think Bell and Evans can become decent LB's. I liked both those picks last year, alot. Doesn't mean we can't add someone else, but I prefer that guy not be in the first round.

Anyways, that is my 2 cents worth.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also needed receivers that year and they passed on the opportunity to take Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas. Tight end depth was good that year - They could have picked up Gronk, Hernandez (oops), or the immortal Dennis Pita in the next round. Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Stupid Bengal fans would LOVE for us to draft OSU players only. No wonder we're fuckin trash.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're sure as shit effing up our first pick. The dude will be a DB, or someone off surgery. We're going to continue to ignore the LB position, which we've done for as long as I can remember, maybe draft a project DL in the 2nd, and just roll those dice on OL midrounds, and probably nab some trash 'playmaker' who can't catch but is fast, and who (pick any combo of 2) played at a G5 school, punched his gf, has 2 kids, has a DUI

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Stupid Bengal fans would LOVE for us to draft OSU players only. No wonder we're fuckin trash.

Please tell me you are not referring to me? I already stated I am not Buckeye loyal when it comes to the Bengals. I just think Price is the best center in the draft.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're sure as shit effing up our first pick. The dude will be a DB, or someone off surgery. We're going to continue to ignore the LB position, which we've done for as long as I can remember, maybe draft a project DL in the 2nd, and just roll those dice on OL midrounds, and probably nab some trash 'playmaker' who can't catch but is fast, and who (pick any combo of 2) played at a G5 school, punched his gf, has 2 kids, has a DUI

You forgot to mention that our draft picks need to recoil in fear whenever they see black and gold.