• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ASU Basketball Head Coach Candidates

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionel Hollins

ASU Grad and Former Head Coach of the Memphis Grizzles. Won a franchise record 56 games as the Grizzles head coach and took them to the Western Conference Finals. Coaching style consists of strong defense, slow paced, "grit-grind" teams that never quit. Named 2008 NBA coach of the year.

Byron Scott

Former ASU player and Former Head Coach of the New Jersey Nets, New Orleans Hornets, and Cleveland Cavaliers. Coaching style consists of strong 3-point shooting. Went to the NBA finals twice with New Jersey. Named 2007 NBA coach of the year.

Eric Mussleman

Current ASU associate head coach and former head coach of the Sacramento Kings, and Golden State Warriors. He is the most logical choice to take over behind Herb. 2002 runner-up for NBA head coach of the year. Was trending upwards in the NBA before he got a DUI in 2007 and was fired. Coaching styles consists of allowing players to play to their strengths. Uses 3 guards to create mismatches and fast-break opportunities. Jeff Van Gundy called him a brilliant offensive mind. John Calipari said Eric is one of the best in our sport. Extremely driven and knowledgeable. I've watched and coached against him in the NBA and FIBA games. He has an uncanny feel for the game, and ability to read where the game is at. More importantly, is his ability to motivate and teach his players what it takes to improve and win. He is as good as it gets."

Shaka Smart

Current Head Coach at VCU and has lead his team to the tournament 3 out of 4 years. Currently making the exact same amount as Herb at $1.2MM. In each of Smart's three seasons, the Rams have consistently maintained one of the most efficient and disruptive defenses in the nation, ranking 31st in Steals Per Game and 17th in Turnover Margin his first season and 1st nationally in both categories his second and third seasons as head coach. Offensively, Smart-coached teams play uptempo, push the ball after misses, and have with what Smart describes as "the freedom to make plays in the open court.

Please feel free to add more..

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami? come ON!!!!!
This has got to stop.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no glue guys. BK will be big but our team will be just as good as last years.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric is my first choice! OR Todd Graham.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we lose this shit? Jahii 2-14? Herb needs to go.

Jahii was hurt, Herb couldn't draw up a play to save his job, the guards went for a rebound that they weren't going to get and gave up a crucial fast break under a minute, Marshall missed a crucial wide open 3 under a minute, and Bach wasn't used enough despite a career high game.. Bad loss but still a good team. If anything, this season shows that ASU can recruit big talent, schedule big games, and still maintain a fan base despite one tournament berth in the last 8 years.

ASU has the ability to pay for a big time coach and plays in a good conference. With the ambitious plans the university has for its sports programs its just a matter of time before we have a great BB team. You're right Jahii, need the right guy and Herb is going to be done soon. When we get the right guy here, ASU will take off.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryon Scott would just keep looking in the rafters at his photograph and collecting a paycheck.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont want Byron. But on the bright side Uofa fans cant talk shit about losing to Miami especially with the ass whooping we gave em yesterday! :yahoo:

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont want Byron. But on the bright side Uofa fans cant talk shit about losing to Miami especially with the ass whooping we gave em yesterday! :yahoo:

Worst beating in like 50 years or something... LOL. I said from the beginning it wouldn't be close and was told "anything can happen" well, something happened.

But as for BB, UA better hope they don't get good.. They'd be so shit out of luck it wouldn't be funny.. They'd have to start cheering for Nogales Futball Club.

*I like you though Sting.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No we need to get butts in the seat, We need a fast pace athletic offense. Not a throw it in the post hold till the last shot shit!

Hollins is best case scenario... BEST. He's one of the best candidates for an NBA job.. If ASU got him it'd be the steal of the century IMO. He'd get butts in the seats.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XO9OHNPyiw]Kenyon Martin block Haddadi and Lionel Hollins shows his distaste for the play vs Memphis Grizzlies - YouTube[/ame]

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was today:

Lionel Hollins confirms Pistons offered assistant coaching job - Detroit Bad Boys

"I had done it [serve as an assistant coach] for a long time before I was given the opportunity to be a head coach," Hollins said. "But my thought process was, 'I've established myself as a head coach. I'd like to stay in that state at the moment.' But if it didn't work out, yeah, I'd go back and be an assistant coach. I'd go to college and be a head coach there, if I had the opportunity. But my thought process is to be a professional head coach."

Problem is we don't have a damn AD right now.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3oR0dPN1YA]James Harden Full Highlights at Spurs (2013.11.30) - 31 Points, 6 Assists, 7 Rebounds - YouTube[/ame] How about the best college basketball player to come out of the state of AZ?

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bye bye Herbie it was nice knowing you.. Thank you for two good seasons. Time to move on. Hollins4ASU.