• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-18 Around The League Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which game did you go to??????????

What were your thoughts?

Lately there seems to be big news from you that I don't know about until much later.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also if we reduced games, would we pay players less? No. Do I really care about players are paid? No, because I cannot control it, but still academically, I don't like that idea. Same goes as if they increased number of games. That is the issue they are dealing with in the NFL. The league wants more games and the players are saying that it takes too much of a toll on their bodies and they aren't getting paid more if they expanded. They could solve that if they wanted to by simply taking 1/8 more for every player from every contract. But they wouldn't.

How did you come up with 1/8?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players that get a new contract going forward would have that applied but the players already on existing contracts probably would not and there would be a big SportsHoopla about that. As if anybody in the league is really strapped for money. If you are barely making a team you want making as much, but it's more than a lot of people are and if you are struggling to make a roster, you have bigger issues than pay per game. Isn't likely you would be there for 16 games let alone 18.

Congrats for advertising the name of a forum in your post.

:L

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far is resting players go, I'm fine for it because if they rest against my Jazz, we have a better chance of winning. Just don't rest against our opponents! Just kidding. We don't have very many stars in terms of upsetting people if we rest. Now, I wouldn't want to rest Hayward often and we lose a game and now we're fighting for Homecourt advandage. But I also don't want him to get injured either.

Joseph English! The Clippers even had him in the training camp of 2014, so it would be funny to see him play big minutes against them.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just me, but I tend to not get worked up about how other teams are doing, because there are too many variables.

If team A and team B are close in the standings, then how to pick which one losing would be better for the Jazz? It's too complicated.

Also, if such a hypothetical team loses, but then the Jazz also lose on the same day, it doesn't make it any better for me.

Also, If Team W is a little below the Jazz in the standings, and they're playing Team Y in the Eastern Conference who has a better record than the Jazz, then again it's too hard. Helping Team Y would be harmful if they played the Jazz in the NBA Finals. Can't dismiss that.

And helping Team W catch up is also harmful.

So again, it's too complicated for me. Thus I keep it simple. "Go Jazz."

Several years ago (but less than 7), there was a possibility that the the Spurs and another team would end up with the same record. They also would have tied the first several tiebreakers.

Ok, looking it up, it was 2012, Bulls and Spurs.

This article says it could have gone to a random drawing:

Home Court in Finals Up for Grabs « NBA.com | Hang Time Blog

Should the Bulls and Spurs finish the season with the same record and the same record against the opposite conference, the tiebreaker for home-court advantage in a prospective Finals matchup would be determined by a random drawing.

I think they forgot that the Bulls went 1-0 against the Spurs though in the regular season, so the Bulls had the tiebreaker.

This wiki says the Bulls would have had homecourt over the Spurs:

+++++++++

List of National Basketball Association seasons - Wikipedia

Despite having the same record as the San Antonio Spurs, the Chicago Bulls clinched top seed by virtue of their only regular season meeting between them, a 96–89 victory by the Bulls on February 29, 2012.

+++++++++++++++++++

This post looks up some other potential instances:

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops - View Single Post - How is home court tiebreaker in the NBA finals determined?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Tiebreaker:

(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
(1) W-L Percentage, other conference
(2) Random drawing

Source: None.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure it's this.

Here's some info:

2000-01
PHI @ LAL

Same record.
PHI 16-12 vs other conference (40-14 vs own conference).
LAL 22-8 vs other conference (34-18 vs own conference).

1989-90
CHI @ UTA

Same record.
CHI 20-8 vs other conference (42-12 vs own conference).
UTA 24-6 vs other conference (38-14 vs own conference).

1997-98
POR @ DET

Same record.
POR 18-8 vs other conference (41-15 vs own conference).
DET 19-9 vs other conference (40-14 vs own conference).

Own conference record has nothing to do with HCA in the Finals.

+++++++++++++++++++

I think the post is a little inaccurate though. In 1990, Utah was 2-0 against the Bulls, so they would have had that tiebreaker won before the opposing conference tiebreaker.

And in 1998, Portland went 2-0 against Detroit, so I think that would have come first too.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you like stealy players?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big O is going to Oklahoma City for the Denver game. That is cool.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also hadn't thought about how rebounds leads to faster transition opportunities. That's another good point.
I kind of agree with this.

Maybe Westbrook can have a triple double year AND lead the league in assists too. Maybe that's next year's goal.

I'd like to get his steals up to closer to 2spg. Oh, I see this was his 3rd lowest spg of his career. Maybe it's an off year for steals.

To me, Leonard and James still rank above Harden and Westbrook. I'd also have to think about Anthony Davis and see where I rank him.

I do like how Westbrook has been more efficient lately.

I love his rebounding effort. That's the most amazing thing.

EDIT: I had heard a stat on the radio that Westbrook was 98th in assist rate. The way I interpreted that, was that if you took the 97 other players, and gave them the same possession opportunities, they'd average more assists.

But after trying to rank and sort for assist rate stats on basketball-reference, I can't figure out how that radio host came up with it. I don't know exactly what he searched or sorted for.

So I'm back to having Westbrook in the discussion, but still have to strongly consider Leonard, James. As well as where I'd rank Davis.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We almost had it! We almost had it in the Finals. Look at the field-goal attempts/percentage on this box score. Everyone but Williams who was 0-1 shot 50% or better. So technically, we had my qualifications, but it wasn't everybody. I know you don't like it, but I gave an exception because it was the Finals.

Warriors vs. Cavaliers - Box Score - June 9, 2017 - ESPN

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We almost had it! We almost had it in the Finals. Look at the field-goal attempts/percentage on this box score. Everyone but Williams who was 0-1 shot 50% or better. So technically, we had my qualifications, but it wasn't everybody. I know you don't like it, but I gave an exception because it was the Finals.

Warriors vs. Cavaliers - Box Score - June 9, 2017 - ESPN

This is just like the times the Jazz almost won the championship and grimm010 almost came out on his promised fire truck.

Thanks for pointing it out though, it was a good find.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if @MHSL82 likes this example.

I think it's interesting because it involves pets.

++++++++++++++++

Cardinals receive criticism for inviting Lance Berkman to “Christian Day”

It’s one thing to allow two different groups to have their own themed events at the ballpark; it’s another to invite a public figure who actively denounces members of other groups. For a silly hypothetical example, let’s say the Cardinals will also host Cats Night and Dogs Night. Both can peacefully coexist. But if the Dogs invite a figure who’s incredibly anti-Cat and questions the Cats’ right to exist in public, then the Cats don’t feel included and supported even if they’re given their own themed night. The Cardinals are a business, and in going through with inviting Berkman, they are risking alienating the section of their fan base that also intersects with LGBTQ. They have every right to continue to invite Berkman, but fans also have every right to speak with their wallets by not showing up at the ballpark and buying merchandise. Is it worth it? I guess we’ll find out.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NYSportsJournalism.com - Q&A: Why Subway Stays On Track - Q&A: Would You Join A Club (Sandwich) That Has Michael Phelps, Michael Strahan, John Cena And Jared Fogle As Members?

NYSJ: Does any athlete in particular stand out with his or her favorite sandwich?

TP: When I met Tony Parker of the San Antonio Spurs, I asked him about his favorite sub. He immediately said, 'It's actually something that's not on the menu — Chicken and Cheese.' And I knew he was a real fan because at that time that was also my favorite sub. So I asked him, 'Great. But how do you make it?' He said, 'I order chicken on Italian bread with American cheese.' And I replied, 'Dude! You don't mix up the cheeses?' Because when I order it I say, 'Give me one portion of cheese, but do cheddar, provolone if they have it and Swiss.' And he said, 'I didn't think of that!'

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MHSL82 , who would you have voted for MVP?

Would you have made an argument for Harden because he averaged even more assists than Westbrook?