• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are we in a tradeback situation with the 8th pick?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said when I first joined the forum that this year's draft may be one of the most interesting draft in years for our boys. Normally, the 8th is hardly one in demand for a club to covet that spot. But with the number of teams seemingly in the mix for a QB exceeding the number of 1st rd worthy throwers, our spot may be up for grabs when it's our turn to select. For those that are really keen on trading back to nab an extra pick or two, I'm thinking the magic number of QBs already taken is 3. I use that number because there seems to be a consensus amongst the analysts that there is a 'Big Four' in terms of a QB worthy of a high 1st round selection, altho some may say there are as many as six.

But if only three are taken by the time we pick, I feel quite confident that there is some team who has not already moved up that would be willing to deal with us. Teams like the Bills, Dolphins, Cardinals, among others. I'm sure Pace will listen to some offers and especially consider one that is an overpayment - that is, the trade offer more than matches the points on the fair trade value chart. But here's an interesting dilemma. Let's say everything I just mentioned happens, that only 3 QBs have been taken, but Nelson still remains on the board. Highly unlikely, being that he would most certainly be chosen in one of those other spots that did not take a QB. But let's say for argument's sake he's still there. You're the armchair GM here, how would you like to see it go down?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really depends on what happens 1-7

We're in a good spot (having the QB position taken care of) in what should be a draft that sees 4 QB's go in the top 7. Which means that we're going to get a crack at one of the absolute top positional players available.

I imagine that Pace and the FO has a couple of guys in mind that they'd love at #8. Maybe Nelson, Edmunds, Landry, Smith...? I suspect we'd jump all over Nelson. Especially with the Hiestand/ND connection coming to town and G being a need with Sitton's release.

If one of the top QB prospects falls to us - That's where things could get real interesting. BUF, WSH, ARI... all three sitting 12-15.

It's really just impossible to tell what things are going to look like when the Bears go on the clock. However, there's certainly an array of possibilities. Trading back is squarely in play. Zero doubt. Picking up a 3rd round pick would be nice.

Last edited:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take is if Nelson is still there, I'd be open to trading back, but it would have to be one hell of an offer - easily exceeding the trade value point chart. An example would be the Bills coveting our spot. Obviously we would get their 12th pick, but I'd also demand either their 22nd pick or perhaps a 2nd and a later rounder. I believe they have two of each in the first three rounds. They would have to overpay, simple as that. Otherwise, I'd be putting Nelson's name on the draft card for the Commish to announce. I may not be quite as demanding if Nelson is gone and we're now thinking to take any one of several excellent defensive players. But I'd still want some type of overpayment, otherwise stay put and take the player of choice.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take is if Nelson is still there, I'd be open to trading back, but it would have to be one hell of an offer - easily exceeding the trade value point chart. An example would be the Bills coveting our spot. Obviously we would get their 12th pick, but I'd also demand either their 22nd pick or perhaps a 2nd and a later rounder. I believe they have two of each in the first three rounds. They would have to overpay, simple as that. Otherwise, I'd be putting Nelson's name on the draft card for the Commish to announce. I may not be quite as demanding if Nelson is gone and we're now thinking to take any one of several excellent defensive players. But I'd still want some type of overpayment, otherwise stay put and take the player of choice.

I don't think there's a "wrong" move. We're in a good spot.

Say what you want about Pace and a few "whiffs" in free agency to this point. However, I think (outside of White) he's played the draft very well. I sort of just trust the process. It would take something VERY out of left field to upset me.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there's a "wrong" move. We're in a good spot.

Say what you want about Pace and a few "whiffs" in free agency to this point. However, I think (outside of White) he's played the draft very well. I sort of just trust the process. It would take something VERY out of left field to upset me.
I'm actually not even going to knock him for White. We have to remember back when the OTAs began and in the early days of camp White was doing very well, at least until the shin started giving him trouble. Not saying I was thrilled with taking him at #7 - I wasn't - but it's hard to fault Pace for White being so injury-prone. I don't recall him having any injury issues in college, at least anything serious. We have the kid for one more season, let's see if he can amount to anything. Not holding any high hopes at all, but don't want to 100% write him off just yet.

What we do agree on is our enviable position in the 8th spot. Lots of options. I like options.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that might be the case a few month ago, but now it looks like all the first round qb talent is going way before we pick. I don’t know if there will be too much interest in trading upnto our pick. I just don’t see any player available at 8 that teams will want to trade up for.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that might be the case a few month ago, but now it looks like all the first round qb talent is going way before we pick. I don’t know if there will be too much interest in trading upnto our pick. I just don’t see any player available at 8 that teams will want to trade up for.
And that's why I said the magic number is 3 with respect to QBs taken before us. If all of the big 4 are gone by the time we pick, then I agree, not much worth some other team wanting to trade for our spot. This is all just fun talk while killing time waiting for the draft. I think the odds are in favor of us staying put and hopefully taking Nelson. Altho it's starting to scare me that just about every damn analyst out there now has us taking him. I liked it much better when we were kinda flying under the radar as far as taking him. I still remember the early mocks that overwhelmingly had us choosing Calvin Ridley. :hellno:

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's why I said the magic number is 3 with respect to QBs taken before us. If all of the big 4 are gone by the time we pick, then I agree, not much worth some other team wanting to trade for our spot. This is all just fun talk while killing time waiting for the draft. I think the odds are in favor of us staying put and hopefully taking Nelson. Altho it's starting to scare me that just about every damn analyst out there now has us taking him. I liked it much better when we were kinda flying under the radar as far as taking him. I still remember the early mocks that overwhelmingly had us choosing Calvin Ridley. :hellno:
I think it’s safe to say we will end up with one of Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Smith or Nelson. I doubt Chubb or Fitzpatrick are there, so it’s between the other three. Would you trade back to pick Ridley and a 2/3 rounder?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it’s safe to say we will end up with one of Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Smith or Nelson. I doubt Chubb or Fitzpatrick are there, so it’s between the other three. Would you trade back to pick Ridley and a 2/3 rounder?
No, sorry bud, but not at all. I don't even want to see a WR taken with any of our first four picks. Even if a tradeback landed us another one or two early-mid rounders, I'd still lean very much against taking any receiver, be that WR or TE. I might change my mind a bit if we end up losing Meredith, but if he stays a Bear, then I'm all for concentrating on the D and the OL, at least with the early picks.

I might be a bit overly optimistic, but again especially if Meredith remains, then I think we're pretty set at just about all the skill positions on the O side of the ball. I really like what Pace has done with this year's FA signings, more so than in his other years here.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be ideal, but who is biting at the bit to go for 8? 1, 2, and 4, look like the picks people want. Denver and the Texans sucked too hard for the Bears to be a good trade down candidate most likely.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be ideal, but who is biting at the bit to go for 8? 1, 2, and 4, look like the picks people want. Denver and the Texans sucked too hard for the Bears to be a good trade down candidate most likely.
Not sure if ANY team would be biting at the bit for our spot. I only surmised that it may be possible if only three of the big four QBs have been taken by the time we choose. The Bills, Cardinals, and Dolphins are logical candidates and if one of those 4 QBs is still on the board at #8, I think it's reasonable to think that one of these clubs would at least inquire to see what it would take to trade back. Obviously there's a number of ifs involved here, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if ANY team would be biting at the bit for our spot. I only surmised that it may be possible if only three of the big four QBs have been taken by the time we choose. The Bills, Cardinals, and Dolphins are logical candidates and if one of those 4 QBs is still on the board at #8, I think it's reasonable to think that one of these clubs would at least inquire to see what it would take to trade back. Obviously there's a number of ifs involved here, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.
It is true that it is possible, I would not expect either, however. I would be really surprised if someone wanted Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph, or some other player at 8 for instance. Not at all saying it's impossible, but I would be skeptical.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is true that it is possible, I would not expect either, however. I would be really surprised if someone wanted Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph, or some other player at 8 for instance. Not at all saying it's impossible, but I would be skeptical.
Me too friend. I'm not even sure either of those two QBs are day one draft candidates. I know some have said otherwise, but I think there are only four this year that are true candidates for a top 10 selection.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With all the qb talent and teams that will be gunning for them,that leaves us an awesome player.........No way should we trade out of it.
I`d rather have a top 5 talent coming out than trade out and get another pick or two.........Just seems dumb.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I`d keep one of those 4 and be very happ about it and not worry about trading down.............

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still locked in with Nelson as my first choice and will unlikely change up thru draft day. But assuming he's gone by the time we select, I think these are my next choices, all very close to being 1a. Oh, and I'm also assuming Chubb and Barkley are gone as well.

Edmunds
Smith
Davenport
Fitzpatrick
James
Ward

Wouldn't argue with any of these. Of this batch Smith might have the best shot at nabbing a starting role right out of the gate, but I remain intrigued by Edmunds' tremendous upside. Same with Davenport. Fitzpatrick, James, and Ward might otherwise be polished enough to instantly start, with Fitz being the most versatile of the three. But I don't see any of them pushing out our existing starters in the secondary.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still locked in with Nelson as my first choice and will unlikely change up thru draft day. But assuming he's gone by the time we select, I think these are my next choices, all very close to being 1a. Oh, and I'm also assuming Chubb and Barkley are gone as well.

Edmunds
Smith
Davenport
Fitzpatrick
James
Ward

Wouldn't argue with any of these. Of this batch Smith might have the best shot at nabbing a starting role right out of the gate, but I remain intrigued by Edmunds' tremendous upside. Same with Davenport. Fitzpatrick, James, and Ward might otherwise be polished enough to instantly start, with Fitz being the most versatile of the three. But I don't see any of them pushing out our existing starters in the secondary.

I think we draft Nelson too if he is there.....
My picks in order of what I hope(of course assuming Chubb is gone):

Nelson......We hopefully found our qb of the future and added a bonafide wr to go with him......So lets give our qb some added protection.Nelson has been called the best player in the draft not called Barkley.Im all in on this one......
Edmunds
Fitzpatrick/Ward
There's no reason in the world why we can' get one of these players.......

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be happy with any of those 5. I also might add in ward.

I guess that I just don't know where Ward fits in? For the first time in God knows how long - the secondary is set. Not only is it talented... it's deep and it's young. Fuller/Amukamara/Callahan (nickel) at CB... Jackson/Amos at safety. Still with Deiondre Hall lingering in the mix as well, with whom I still like. The only player out of those starters not locked up for multiple years is Callahan. Amukamara is the only one even nearing 30... and at 28. That's not even a concern yet.

I like the BPA approach, but this team is making strides and needs help in a couple of select areas now. Drafting Ward doesn't make sense. IMO

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pray for Nelson. What a steal that would be. It seems every year we're 1 or 2 picks just below where we want to be to grab that kid that would be perfect for this team.