• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another grad transfer addition

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when we were worried about Shuler leaving the team?

Yeah... me neither...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was worried, but free agency may have served us well this year. Depth at the DL is key.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked BBW this question...why is it in the HISTORY of this program WV can't seem to recruit top end talent at DL?....

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked BBW this question...why is it in the HISTORY of this program WV can't seem to recruit top end talent at DL?....
We have had a few that were damned good, The Nehlen era was good for DEs. Grant, Turnbull, Fox, Browning, Stills were all drafted in the first three rounds, and several others were drafted. History is a long time.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Grant, Renaldo Turnbull, and Gary Stills were all LBs. We seem to do pretty good with backers.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had a few that were damned good, The Nehlen era was good for DEs. Grant, Turnbull, Fox, Browning, Stills were all drafted in the first three rounds, and several others were drafted. History is a long time.

Its my point...a couple of players...and none of those you mentioned were 4 star players or better...why is it?

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good reason with DL's . 4-5 star DL recruits are hard to find. A look at the Rivals 100 for 2019 has only 5 DL prospects for all 3-4 spots needed for every team. Competition is great to get these guys We have to beat out Bama, Georgia, Clemson and everybody else.

I was worried about the DL this year, with the recent additions, It now looks like it could be a strength of this team if they all stay healthy. Good timing, with a great season, Dana could have this job for a long time.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good reason with DL's . 4-5 star DL recruits are hard to find. A look at the Rivals 100 for 2019 has only 5 DL prospects for all 3-4 spots needed for every team. Competition is great to get these guys We have to beat out Bama, Georgia, Clemson and everybody else.

I was worried about the DL this year, with the recent additions, It now looks like it could be a strength of this team if they all stay healthy. Good timing, with a great season, Dana could have this job for a long time.

But that IS my point...its just not with this coaching staff...its been with every coaching staff since the inception of the program....I could point to every position on the team and there has been a good pipeline established all the way back to the Bowden days ...but D-Linemen have been an enigma even when they played a 4 man front...in this neck of the woods you went to Penn State, Pitt, Notre Dame ( Have to throw them in they have always recruited the east well), Ohio State and even Syracuse back in the day...candidly not much has changed...just find it odd...

And even if Dana doesn't have a good year and is fired .. the next HC based on history will also appear to have a tough time recruiting that position..

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that IS my point...its just not with this coaching staff...its been with every coaching staff since the inception of the program....I could point to every position on the team and there has been a good pipeline established all the way back to the Bowden days ...but D-Linemen have been an enigma even when they played a 4 man front...in this neck of the woods you went to Penn State, Pitt, Notre Dame ( Have to throw them in they have always recruited the east well), Ohio State and even Syracuse back in the day...candidly not much has changed...just find it odd...

And even if Dana doesn't have a good year and is fired .. the next HC based on history will also appear to have a tough time recruiting that position..

100% agreement with you there, the stats show that DLs are a rare breed. The good DLs WV has had in the past have been lower star players who were able to put on weight and excel. One thing about high school recruits is that some continue to grow for a couple of years. The premier teams get the man-boys who have already developed. Our success with depend on getting boys and making them men.

Dana has done well through free agency this year to take a glaring weak area and potentially make it one of our strengths. Roster wise, this may be the best team Dana has started with in the B12 (excluding the year he played with Bill Stewart recruits). This is his year to shine. The B12 has lost quality quarterbacks which leaves a crack for Dana to fill.

My opinion is that if Dana can't win the B12 this year, he never will.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agreement with you there, the stats show that DLs are a rare breed. The good DLs WV has had in the past have been lower star players who were able to put on weight and excel. One thing about high school recruits is that some continue to grow for a couple of years. The premier teams get the man-boys who have already developed. Our success with depend on getting boys and making them men.

Dana has done well through free agency this year to take a glaring weak area and potentially make it one of our strengths. Roster wise, this may be the best team Dana has started with in the B12 (excluding the year he played with Bill Stewart recruits). This is his year to shine. The B12 has lost quality quarterbacks which leaves a crack for Dana to fill.

My opinion is that if Dana can't win the B12 this year, he never will.

I am not so sure..I think their defense is no better or maybe even worse than last year if you just look at them on paper...they lose two starters on the front 3 , one is a Freshman All American and replace them with last minute transfers...did they really get better at the corner positions?..Is Tonkery really ready to take on a full load at LB with Ferns done for the season....again!....I think Dana's in a tough spot ....He has an odds on favorite for the Heisman at QB, but a defense that may give up tons of points this year...logic says they need to burn some clock...but ego may say lets make a run to get Will the Heisman....the season will be interesting...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key this year is the DL. We lost two and gained two. If the new guys stay healthy and play up to their potential, it will take pressure off the Corners. If we let the QBs run around all day like last year, our D will be toast.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not so sure..I think their defense is no better or maybe even worse than last year if you just look at them on paper...they lose two starters on the front 3 , one is a Freshman All American and replace them with last minute transfers...did they really get better at the corner positions?..Is Tonkery really ready to take on a full load at LB with Ferns done for the season....again!....I think Dana's in a tough spot ....He has an odds on favorite for the Heisman at QB, but a defense that may give up tons of points this year...logic says they need to burn some clock...but ego may say lets make a run to get Will the Heisman....the season will be interesting...

The defense will be much better than last year's. The only weak areas appear to be depth at LB and some unknowns at CB. If the ND grad transfer commits to WVU next week, we will instantly pump that position.

The DL is much better this fall. Rose really came on strong at year's end replacing Shuler... who's production and play truly diminished. The weakest side of the line was manned by Donahue. He may fall to 3rd string this year. The kid from Clemson and the Stills boy are both stronger/bigger than Donahue. McDougle wasn't going to play this year anyways due to his shoulder surgery in the offseason. Stills and Bigelow... the USC transfer... bring size to the NG position that McDougle would never be able to bring at 5'10.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense will be much better than last year's. The only weak areas appear to be depth at LB and some unknowns at CB. If the ND grad transfer commits to WVU next week, we will instantly pump that position.

The DL is much better this fall. Rose really came on strong at year's end replacing Shuler... who's production and play truly diminished. The weakest side of the line was manned by Donahue. He may fall to 3rd string this year. The kid from Clemson and the Stills boy are both stronger/bigger than Donahue. McDougle wasn't going to play this year anyways due to his shoulder surgery in the offseason. Stills and Bigelow... the USC transfer... bring size to the NG position that McDougle would never be able to bring at 5'10.

If Donahue is your starter again...its all you will need to know about how good the defense is..or isn't..:gaah:

I hope your right about the DL...I just don't see it and Shuler IMHO was just coming into his own...at worse he provided solid depth if they plan to rotate guys..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Donahue is your starter again...its all you will need to know about how good the defense is..or isn't..:gaah:

I hope your right about the DL...I just don't see it and Shuler IMHO was just coming into his own...at worse he provided solid depth if they plan to rotate guys..

Shuler was coming into his own? Kid was shit last year. He basically quit once he was replaced as a starter.

We’ll have more depth at DL than we’ve had in awhile.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DL is going to dramatically help the rest of the defense. Stills and Bigelow at NG will free the DE’s to attack from the outside, and free the LB’s to make plays. Something that was truly lacking last year... and basically every year since Neilds graduated.

Having a pass rush will make the job of the CB’s a little lighter as well...