• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

American Athletic Conference Basketball is a STRONG BUY!

C0|db|00ded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at these comparative numbers for conference championship game viewership.

ACC Championship game 3.435 M Viewers
Big 12 Championship 2.852 M
SEC Championship 2.553 M
AAC Championship game 2.091 M
MWC Championship game 1.587 M
Big East Championship game 1.491 M
PAC 12 Championship game 612K

Also consider that Wichita wasn't in the AAC Finals. It was Cincy vs. Houston. Had we made it we likely would have hit 2.5M tying the SEC.

T

...:cool:

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SEC Championship 2.553 M

Also consider that Wichita wasn't in the AAC Finals. It was Cincy vs. Houston. Had we made it we likely would have hit 2.5M tying the SEC.

T

Heh. I think part of that is due to time slot, but yea, Villanova-Providence isn't going to make too many people go run and find a babysitter.

American has potential. The problem is they were formed for football, so they don't have well defined rivalries. Tulane and E Carolina are also terrible, terrible programs.

If they could somehow get rid of those 2 programs plus the Florida programs and add two nice basketball schools, they'd be in serious business.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SEC Championship 2.553 M

Also consider that Wichita wasn't in the AAC Finals. It was Cincy vs. Houston. Had we made it we likely would have hit 2.5M tying the SEC

T

I would like to know comparably what the Big East(Fox) viewership was since the Big East tourney was at the same time as the ACC's(ESPN), except the Championship games which was at 6:30pm for the BE and 8:30pm for the ACC.

C0|db|00ded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. I think part of that is due to time slot, but yea, Villanova-Providence isn't going to make too many people go run and find a babysitter.

American has potential. The problem is they were formed for football, so they don't have well defined rivalries. Tulane and E Carolina are also terrible, terrible programs.

If they could somehow get rid of those 2 programs plus the Florida programs and add two nice basketball schools, they'd be in serious business.

How about Villanova? :kissass:

You guys wanna step up to big-boy football? UConn needs a friend.

ECU is horrible but they have some strong football tradition and football "drives the bus" - or so they tell me. ECU also just hired a new basketball coach in Joe Dooley. Dooley returns to ECU for 2nd coaching stint

Tulane is actually on the mend surprisingly. Mike Dunleavy has some nice pieces in place. Tulane's RPI finished around 175 this year which is a monster improvement.

South Florida is a problem. UCF though has enormous potential and their basketball is solid. (enrollment 66,183 - yes you read that right - largest in the U.S.) They had horrific luck with injuries this year else they would have been Dancing. They still finished with a decent RPI of 84. And their football had an incredible year. A complete timeline of UCF’s national championship claim

The trick with the Church League's strength and seeding is the bottom teams. Keep the bottom teams above 150 RPI and it makes everything better for everyone.

T

C0|db|00ded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to know comparably what the Big East(Fox) viewership was since the Big East tourney was at the same time as the ACC's(ESPN), except the Championship games which was at 6:30pm for the BE and 8:30pm for the ACC.

Top Non-Championship games the same weekend:

Alabama/KentuckySat 1pm ESPN. 2.001 M Viewers
Arkansas/Tennessee Sat 3pm ESPN 1.828 M Viewers
UH/Wichita Sat 3:30pm CBS 1.625 M Viewers
UC/Memphis Sat 1 pm CBS. 1.183 M Viewers

The following are the numbers for the previous weekend:

1.83 Million viewers for Cincy @ WSU

The list of games we beat out this weekend includes: Kentucky/Florida 1.69 M , Louisville/NC State 1.148 M, UCLA/USC 1.128 M, West Virginia/Texas 1.011 M, KU/OK ST 921K, Baylor/K-State 710K, Georgetown/Villanova 605K, Xavier/DePaul 484K, Creighton/Marquette 431K, and Arkansas/Missouri 402K.

The New Big East Tripleheader on FOX is bolded. The games were on FOX OTA (over the air) not FS1.

Fun Fact: Cincy @ WSU drew more viewers than the entire New Big East Tripleheader on FOX combined...

T

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to downplay the number of viewers I think alot can be said about it being the only game of significance during that time slot, as well as being on CBS. My guess is the number will probably be around half that next year when the B1G tournament returns to its normal time and is the last game of the conference tournaments.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ECU is horrible but they have some strong football tradition and football "drives the bus" - or so they tell me. ECU also just hired a new basketball coach in Joe Dooley. Dooley returns to ECU for 2nd coaching stint

Tulane is actually on the mend surprisingly. Mike Dunleavy has some nice pieces in place. Tulane's RPI finished around 175 this year which is a monster improvement.

South Florida is a problem. UCF though has enormous potential and their basketball is solid. (enrollment 66,183 - yes you read that right - largest in the U.S.) They had horrific luck with injuries this year else they would have been Dancing. They still finished with a decent RPI of 84. And their football had an incredible year. A complete timeline of UCF’s national championship claim

The trick with the Church League's strength and seeding is the bottom teams. Keep the bottom teams above 150 RPI and it makes everything better for everyone.

T

A strong Memphis and Uconn is a strong AAC right now.

Everyone has their bottom feeders like DePaul or BC or Pitt.

But the quality of coaches coming into the AAC is a good sign.

It’s amazkng that these new kids weren’t even alive when Dunleavy’s team blew a 15 point game 7 lead to the lakers.

Damn I feel old.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

T

Heh, yea I don't follow college football at all until the very last games.

The trick of the Big East is that only one program is truly horrid. Yes, Georgetown is bad NOW, but they were OK a few years ago, and could be a good in a few years.

Most programs will have their ups and downs.

This league needs UConn to be UConn. They are still the best program by a decent margin, despite the recent failures.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that the pac 12 product was any good this year but a large portion of blame goes towards their horrendous network and tv deal.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SEC Championship 2.553 M

T

Don't see the B1G?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The trick of the Big East is that only one program is truly horrid. Yes, Georgetown is bad NOW, but they were OK a few years ago, and could be a good in a few years.

This league needs UConn to be UConn. They are still the best program by a decent margin, despite the recent failures.

And with Hurley I think they will be.

I'm excited about 2 guards they're about to have on campus, a 4 star nebraska decommit, and a 3 star decommit from URI.

C0|db|00ded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A strong UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Wichita, SMU, and Temple; a competitive Tulsa, UCF, Houston; and a not-putrid ECU, USF, and Tulane will yield the AAC 5 bids minimum with a possibility for 6.

Those extra bids earned will come straight from the Catholics.

T

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And with Hurley I think they will be.

I'm excited about 2 guards they're about to have on campus, a 4 star nebraska decommit, and a 3 star decommit from URI.

Hurley actually had pretty good recruiting classes at URI. With UConn $ in his pockets, he should be able to do wonders.

I expect them to be back in the tourney ... 2 years, 3 tops.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurley actually had pretty good recruiting classes at URI. With UConn $ in his pockets, he should be able to do wonders.

It’ll be interesting to see how many stick it out who came for Ollie. Surprised there was no mass exodus. Just an entire recruiting class gone.

C0|db|00ded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UConn still has a lot of nice pieces. I would not be surprised one bit if they made the Dance next year. I WOULD be surprised if it took them three...

T

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn still has a lot of nice pieces. I would not be surprised one bit if they made the Dance next year. I WOULD be surprised if it took them three...

T

I like this guy.

It was great having someone else to chat aac hoops with, but now he says nice things about Uconn.

C0|db|00ded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this guy.

It was great having someone else to chat aac hoops with, but now he says nice things about Uconn.

Don't fall in love too quickly. We swept you guys last season so I'm in a good mood. :suds:

Ask Memphis Tiger fans how quickly I can change my demeanor from loving to wrathful. After they fired Tubby and hired Penny, they caused one of our prized PG recruits (4* Alex Lomax) to decommit forcing us to scramble late in the recruiting period. Memphis and CB aren't friends anymore...

T

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't fall in love too quickly. We swept you guys last season so I'm in a good mood. :suds:

Ask Memphis Tiger fans how quickly I can change my demeanor from loving to wrathful. After they fired Tubby and hired Penny, they caused one of our prized PG recruits (4* Alex Lomax) to decommit forcing us to scramble late in the recruiting period. Memphis and CB aren't friends anymore...

T

i'm curious how this penny experiment works.

how long does he have relationships to easily pull recruits?

what happens when that well runs dry?

on the bright side (for him) you can field a tourney team (at least) with just localish talent.

and yes, yall did whoop UConn's ass. I respect the shit out of Marshall. He's a phenomenal coach and it looks like he found ANOTHER gem in that Reeves kid. He really broke out against UConn in game 1, and then just obliterated UConn in game 2.

C0|db|00ded

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm curious how this penny experiment works.

how long does he have relationships to easily pull recruits?

what happens when that well runs dry?

on the bright side (for him) you can field a tourney team (at least) with just localish talent.

and yes, yall did whoop UConn's ass. I respect the shit out of Marshall. He's a phenomenal coach and it looks like he found ANOTHER gem in that Reeves kid. He really broke out against UConn in game 1, and then just obliterated UConn in game 2.

Well, Memphis fans say they had no choice but to hire Penny as their athletic department was bleeding red ink. Attendance was at multi-decade lows and apathy had set in. Tubby Smith was expected to make the Dance next year but had missed out on many big local recruits. Memphis fans still think they are living in the Calipari days so if their roster isn't full of 4 and 5 star players they panic. Tubby was trying to build the program up the right way and they cut him off after 2 years. They still owe him millions too.

Penny will bring in some higher caliber athletes and reportedly is greatly re-energizing season ticket sales. But like you said, the relationships he built up coaching local HS and AAU talent is eventually going to run dry. The only way to sustain his recruiting momentum is to win and win big. These recruits coming out of Memphis have the opportunity to go to UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky. Why on earth do they choose Penny's Tigers if he's barely breaking .500?

So there you have it. Penny Hardaway needs to become one of the first coaches with zero DI coaching experience to succeed at a major job or he will send the Memphis Basketball program back to the dark ages. What quality up-and-coming coach will listen to Memphis after they fired Hall-of-Famer and 2016 Big12 Coach of the Year Tubby Smith after only 2 years AND improving W/L totals? Not many. Maybe Pitino.

Speaking of Pitino: It's being reported that Penny is going hard after $$Larry Brown$$ to be his assistant. Shameless...

T