• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adam Jones Retires

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Jones official retires and he will do so as a member of the Orioles.

The Erik Bedard trade now come full circle and one of the absolute worst trade in franchise history. Thanks Bavasi!

Jones ends his career with 282 HRs, 945 RBI, 5x AS, 4x GG, and a Silver Slugger Award.

Bedard couldn’t even stay healthy here.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Erik Bedard trade now come full circle and one of the absolute worst trade in franchise history. Thanks Bavasi!

Jones ends his career with 282 HRs, 945 RBI, 5x AS, 4x GG, and a Silver Slugger Award.

But to be fair, Bavasi had a lot of horrible moves...lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you could say number 2. The Varitek/Lowe deal IMO easily takes number 1

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you could say number 2. The Varitek/Lowe deal IMO easily takes number 1
I definitely agree here and also agree with NW that Bavasi made a ton of travesty moves during his tenure here.

I’m quite sure that if he was GM during the time Jr and Edgar was here, he would’ve traded them away for a bag peanuts.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely agree here and also agree with NW that Bavasi made a ton of travesty moves during his tenure here.

I’m quite sure that if he was GM during the time Jr and Edgar was here, he would’ve traded them away for a bag peanuts.
You are probably not wrong...lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably not wrong...lol.
Bavasi wasn’t that bad. He just wasn’t meant to ever be a GM. But realistically no one in the FO was born to be a decision maker in the FO. I still contend none of the owners were meant to own a winning franchise, but Stanton has allowed them be what they are right now

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bavasi wasn’t that bad. He just wasn’t meant to ever be a GM. But realistically no one in the FO was born to be a decision maker in the FO. I still contend none of the owners were meant to own a winning franchise, but Stanton has allowed them be what they are right now
Actually he was born to be a GM. His dad was one for a long time and he grew up in it. He was just bad at it and from what I heard from people at the spring training facility he was the biggest asshole.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually he was born to be a GM. His dad was one for a long time and he grew up in it. He was just bad at it and from what I heard from people at the spring training facility he was the biggest asshole.
If you are terrible at something it means you weren’t born to become that IMO. No idea about his career pre Seattle, but he wasn’t terrible just wasn’t meant to be the guy at that time. Which in his defense, I don’t think there was a person alive who could’ve succeeded in his role with how toxic the FO had become. The Mariners needed a guy who could give a finger to Howard Lincoln and say we need a full rebuild. The ballpark alone brought people in at the time so they could’ve afforded the ability to suck until Felix became the face once Ichiro was traded (though no idea if he had a no trade clause in his original deal).

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always refer to this when the topic of trading away prospects for high priced players. I am not saying to never do it as so far the Luis Castillo trade giving up Marte has been good for us and I would say that our GM hasn't really took a lopsided L on a trade aside from Chris Taylor to the Dodgers in which he even admitted he messed up on that. I will keep an eye on how Marte will do with the Reds in the small sample size he has in the majors he has struck out almost half the time he goes to at bat.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always refer to this when the topic of trading away prospects for high priced players. I am not saying to never do it as so far the Luis Castillo trade giving up Marte has been good for us and I would say that our GM hasn't really took a lopsided L on a trade aside from Chris Taylor to the Dodgers in which he even admitted he messed up on that. I will keep an eye on how Marte will do with the Reds in the small sample size he has in the majors he has struck out almost half the time he goes to at bat.
You can’t really compare the Bedard deal to the Castillo deal. Jerry has only had a few chances at using his prospects and outside of Castillo I’d argue he has lost every other deal that he involved prospects. You can make an argument that getting Geno negates that L on the deal but Jerry could’ve gotten Geno for a bag of balls.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How I grade th Castillo trade is by comparing trading for him to signing Gausman. They have been almost identical in production these two years. So if we upped an offer to Gausman and signed him, we would in theory have our Castillo and still had all 4 of those prospects. Ya, I am weird that way. And yes I know the argument that Gausman had to want to come here, but very few first time free agents turn down big money to go elsewhere.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t really compare the Bedard deal to the Castillo deal. Jerry has only had a few chances at using his prospects and outside of Castillo I’d argue he has lost every other deal that he involved prospects. You can make an argument that getting Geno negates that L on the deal but Jerry could’ve gotten Geno for a bag of balls.

What deals has Jerry took a lopsided L on?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What deals has Jerry took a lopsided L on?
Undeniable facts, the most notable big L’s are- Chris Taylor deal, the David Phelps deal, the Adam Linn deal. (IMO) the entire 2018 deadline when he should’ve sold if he was even contemplating doing a rebuild.

W’s are the Castillo deal, the Ty France/Munoz deal and getting rid of the Cano contract

Then a boat load of ones that I will argue he did shitty in terms of value such as eventually getting JP, the Geno/Winker trade, the Marco trade. But value is subjective.

No denying his great moves for relievers.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Linn

That was a solid post I was completely unaware of the Phelps trade and Adam Lind and looking into it yes, he definitely lost out that those deals. I am not sold on the 2018 comment because we really don't know what was on the market. For all we know the value in return could have been so low that it was probably better to try and make the playoffs. I feel we can only evaluate him on the trades and drafts that were actually done.

The JP Crawford had to get done quickly from what I understand because Segura was getting into clubhouse fights with Gordon. So rather than suspend or keep him away from the team they needed to pull the trigger. The Geno Winker trade I don't think any of our players actually turned into anything with the Reds and I think Geno is a large reason for our success the last 2 years. IMO I think we won the Marco trade.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a solid post I was completely unaware of the Phelps trade and Adam Lind and looking into it yes, he definitely lost out that those deals. I am not sold on the 2018 comment because we really don't know what was on the market. For all we know the value in return could have been so low that it was probably better to try and make the playoffs. I feel we can only evaluate him on the trades and drafts that were actually done.

The JP Crawford had to get done quickly from what I understand because Segura was getting into clubhouse fights with Gordon. So rather than suspend or keep him away from the team they needed to pull the trigger. The Geno Winker trade I don't think any of our players actually turned into anything with the Reds and I think Geno is a large reason for our success the last 2 years. IMO I think we won the Marco trade.
I don’t blame him at all for the 2018 deadline, but it is frustrating in hindsight that a rebuild was even on the table. They would’ve had the top starter available, the top closer available, the top DH available, good starters and bullpen arms that could’ve netted a haul and could’ve unloaded Seagers contract. So that post wasn’t a negative as much as it is frustrating in hindsight.

I wasn’t saying the deal that got JP was bad value, the dead that led to JP was the bad value. They gave up one of the top pitching prospects in baseball in Walker, and then basically JP Crawford to get Segura and Haniger. It isn’t any different in my eyes than the lopsided O’Neill for Marco. Not “bad deals” just terrible in value. That was Jerry’s MO though at the time just as it has been AJ Preller. Not trying to do a one for comparison but Jerry basically had his own Marco in Kyle Lewis and got a bag of balls for him as opposed to the Cardinals got a top 100 prospect. That is all I am saying is that there is a trade value chart.

I would disagree on the Winker/Geno deal. All 3 guys they gave up have started for the Reds this year while the Mariners had Wong. As positive as Geno has been, he could’ve been had for a random arm in the farm system that wouldn’t have seen the big leagues. He was a the salary dump of a player that Jerry desperately wanted to do with Seager.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Getting ride if a young talent like him was effin stupid … Hard to believe he’s almost 40, he was just a kid when we had him …

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good thing Eric Bedard lasted us that long, too...

Err... wait... nevermind...