• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A few questions for the cooks.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just put the lid on the pot to let simmer for two hours this recipe for green chilli and pork stew:
Make-Ahead Recipe: Pork & Green Chile Stew (Chile Verde) Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

I'd never cooked pork shoulder before. I asked the butcher if he had about 4 lb. pork shoulder and he directed me to what was labeled "Boston Butt", which he said is the name given to the pork shoulder once it's cut. Anyone know if that is right?

Cutting the pork into bight size pieces and trimming the fat off was pretty easy on some parts of the meat, but on other parts I found it nearly impossible. Since I started on the easiest parts (i.e., the parts with the least fat) first and left the more difficult part to the end, I ended up just putting the last pound or so size piece into a storage bag and putting that in the fridge. So, a couple more questions arose: what is the best type of knife to use for cutting up and removing fat from a raw pork roast and what is a good use for the portion of the roast that is about half meat and half fat?

Finally, my fingers are on fire from peeling the roasted peppers. I made sure to only use cold water when I rinsed my hands when I was peeling them, since I figured that would close up the pores in my skin. Anyne know any tricks to prevent the heat from the peppers from getting into your hands?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just put the lid on the pot to let simmer for two hours this recipe for green chilli and pork stew:
Make-Ahead Recipe: Pork & Green Chile Stew (Chile Verde) Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

I'd never cooked pork shoulder before. I asked the butcher if he had about 4 lb. pork shoulder and he directed me to what was labeled "Boston Butt", which he said is the name given to the pork shoulder once it's cut. Anyone know if that is right?

Cutting the pork into bight size pieces and trimming the fat off was pretty easy on some parts of the meat, but on other parts I found it nearly impossible. Since I started on the easiest parts (i.e., the parts with the least fat) first and left the more difficult part to the end, I ended up just putting the last pound or so size piece into a storage bag and putting that in the fridge. So, a couple more questions arose: what is the best type of knife to use for cutting up and removing fat from a raw pork roast and what is a good use for the portion of the roast that is about half meat and half fat?

Finally, my fingers are on fire from peeling the roasted peppers. I made sure to only use cold water when I rinsed my hands when I was peeling them, since I figured that would close up the pores in my skin. Anyne know any tricks to prevent the heat from the peppers from getting into your hands?

yup, the boston butt is what you want. If you buy the whole shoulder you will get two pieces, and that is a LOT of pork. butt is better if you are going to be pulling the pork.

I use a serrated knife when cutting cooked shoulders, but don't cut too much on uncooked. Trimming the fat I'll just use a sharp carving knife, something very sharp and rather narrow.

As for the peppers, I always wear nitrile disposable gloves if I'm doing jalepenos or anything with any heat. If your hands burn now, pour some milk over your fingers, should help a bit. If you ever want to smoke the peppers a trick I do is to cut and seed them, then soak them in a tupperware container in sprite over night. They will stay crisp, won't affect the flavor, but takes the heat out of them. I do that when smoking jalepeno poppers. :suds:

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a sharp chef's knife (9" Henckel's) and just have at it. I will cut the roast in big slabs then trim the fat from those slices and then down to the right size after that, if that makes sense. The key is a sharp knife. That will help get you through the fat and sinew with ease. Also, a good pair of kitchen shears will help. As for the peppers, if they are charred thoroughly and then steamed, the skins usually come off pretty easily if you use the edge of a paring knife to grip the top and pull the skin down as you hold the pepper in a towel-covered hand. Gloves are probably easier though.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If yer stewing it for 3 plus hours, most of the fat will melt/breakdown and just be awesome. Look for "Silver Skin" type fat to remove, but I wouldn't get too hung up on getting all the fat out, or ya won't have much meat by the time yer done.