• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

6 speed transmission won't go into 1st.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have a 2003 6 speed manual 350z. drove it home just fine last night. this morning when i started it up it wouldn't let me place the shifter into 1st. or any other gears really. its like somethings blocking it from going into gear. i did figure out that when the car is turned off it will shift into the gears without problem. i was able to place it into first gear start it up and drive in 1st gear...just couldn't shift out of it...so any ideas?

from some of things i looked up its common in manual transmissions...something inside the transmission. but not the clutch. and not the transmission gears themselves. so not sure. its doesn't have even 80k miles so wouldn't think its clutch.

where i live a lot of the repair shops are notorious for trying to repair something that doesn't need repair. if i only need some minor part of transmission they will try to replace whole thing thanks in advance for anyone who can help

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably has a hydraulic clutch.
Check the fluid level for that.
If it's low or has completely leaked out, you wont be able to shift into gear.

That's probably not it if you can shift it into gear while the car is not running, but I'd do it just as a starting point in any case.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a strange turn once it got towed to the repair shop it shifted just fine. They are going to replace all the fluid but very strange case

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on a manual transmission? That's odd. If you could shift while driving but not while stopped I'd say clutch is bad, but the reverse. That's crazy. Do you know if it is hyudraulic or linkage clutch? check those fluid levels. Had my hydro go out once, line snapped. Sucked, but could start the car and towed home in neutral.
That would be about the only fluid they could change. Could check the gear oil, but that wouldn't affect shifting. Hope you don't have a synchro going out, but again shifting while car off is odd. Was it while off, or just while stopped?

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time this happened to me was in high school in my MGB. Those were so simple...couldn't imagine why the shifter was stuck in neutral. Turned out a dime had gotten under the shifter boot somehow and worked its way down and lodged itself in the linkage...was really stuck!

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're on it, my buddy has a 94 Jeep Cherokee(that I sold him) with an automatic transmission. The transmission doesn't slip ever, and it goes through the gears fine, but sometimes it doesn't downshift when stopping. You can put it in low gear or third with the lever, but sometimes it won't downshift on it's own.

Any clue what might be causing that?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably has a hydraulic clutch.
Check the fluid level for that.
If it's low or has completely leaked out, you wont be able to shift into gear.

That's probably not it if you can shift it into gear while the car is not running, but I'd do it just as a starting point in any case.

Could be that.

My first thought would be a synchro going bad.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're on it, my buddy has a 94 Jeep Cherokee(that I sold him) with an automatic transmission. The transmission doesn't slip ever, and it goes through the gears fine, but sometimes it doesn't downshift when stopping. You can put it in low gear or third with the lever, but sometimes it won't downshift on it's own.

Not sure on a 94. Is there any mechanical linkage for the kickdown? Might be all electronic by that year. If so, no idea. Sounds like an adjustment issue though.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 6-Speed Manual and the Reverse is next to 1st. It incorporates a Reverse Lock Out device which is spring loaded and can be adjusted with a bolt on the side of the shifter If this bolt is worn or has slipped out of adjustment it can inadvertently lock you out of 1st and/or 2nd. I know that my Ford MT-82 shifter is sloppy and sometimes misses 3rd under hard throttle so I'm replacing it with MGW shifter.

Linkage would be the simplest thing to check, hydraulics and syncros could end up costing some money.

Last edited by a moderator:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have you checked the TV cable:pound:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did Trojanfight get resolution to the problem.
or was he just pimping us

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did Trojanfight get resolution to the problem.
or was he just pimping us

stated above that once i took it to a transmission shop they said it shifted fine. haven't had any problems since..strangest thing I've ever seen