• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 6) Miami Heat vs. 3) Philadelphia 76ers

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly right. There is a huge difference between consistently drafting top 3 and consistently drafting top 10. The hit rate is dramatically better with the former.
if you draft in the top 5 you usually get a an all star player about 40% of the time.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

They actually got somewhat unlucky.

They were worst in the league for years, yet always seemed to pick 3 or 4.

They got Embiid because he was damaged goods and the teams ahead of them didn't want to risk it. They hit the lottery once and drafted Simmons, then traded up to get Fultz.

What sets the 6ers apart is that they were willing to take risks on injured players like Embiid and Noel, and they were also willing to blow it up on the fly multiple teams when they realized the guy they took was not the franchise star they coveted.

Cleveland got lucky hitting number 1 3 times in 4 years. Philly earned this.
honestly - its not about #1 as much as it is about the draft.

Some drafts you have multiple great players---- or like the Embiid draft-- you had Embiid, Parker and Wiggins - 3 VERY VERY highly rated talents

some drafts you have a top 5 of Fultz, Ball, Tatum, Jackson, and Fox......decent- but definitely not what you want out of a top 5....

if you draft in the top 5 you usually have about a 40% chance at an al lstar

this year that will be a LOT LOT higher---- as the top 5--- I can see almost 80% becoming all stars out of Doncic, Bagley, Ayton, JJAckson and Bamba.

Last year-- out of those top 5--- what doy ou think? Tatum someday??? and other than that its really up in the air.

Its all about picking high in the RIGHT draft

#1 doesnt mean dick if the draft is Bennett, Oladipo, Noel, Len, McLemore at the top 5.

last year was kind of a shit year to have a top 5 pick but a great year to have a top 10 pick....this year its a great year to have both

Trae Young might not even go in the top 10 and he would DEF have hit the top 5 last year..

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
honestly - its not about #1 as much as it is about the draft.

Some drafts you have multiple great players---- or like the Embiid draft-- you had Embiid, Parker and Wiggins - 3 VERY VERY highly rated talents

some drafts you have a top 5 of Fultz, Ball, Tatum, Jackson, and Fox......decent- but definitely not what you want out of a top 5....

if you draft in the top 5 you usually have about a 40% chance at an al lstar

this year that will be a LOT LOT higher---- as the top 5--- I can see almost 80% becoming all stars out of Doncic, Bagley, Ayton, JJAckson and Bamba.

Last year-- out of those top 5--- what doy ou think? Tatum someday??? and other than that its really up in the air.

Its all about picking high in the RIGHT draft

#1 doesnt mean dick if the draft is Bennett, Oladipo, Noel, Len, McLemore at the top 5.

last year was kind of a shit year to have a top 5 pick but a great year to have a top 10 pick....this year its a great year to have both

Trae Young might not even go in the top 10 and he would DEF have hit the top 5 last year..

Drafts are all about scouting and upside. Even in that Bennett draft, Giannis, Gobert, Steven Adams and CJ McCollum were all drafted in that same year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is absolutely no reason to think that ANY of the top 5 from last year will be busts at this time.

Fultz has looked good aside from his perimeter shot. Being injured doesn't mean you are or are not likely to be good in the future. Plenty of reasons for the Sixers to be optimistic about him right now
Lonzo Ball is much like Fultz in that his game looked really good except his outside shooting and free throw shooting. Get his FT% to 70% and become a semi-competent shooter and he is capable of being an all star
Tatum looked the best of the bunch. Plenty of reason to be optimistic about him
Josh Jackson struggled a lot early on but saw some significant improved later on in the season. Playing for a tankjob didn't likely help his overall numbers.
De'Aron Fox also struggled but, again, he showed improvement later in the season.

None of them were so bad that you needed to question whether they are legit pros.

Whoever the top 5 that are drafted in this draft, you can be sure that 1 or 2 of them, at the very least will struggle in their rookie year. Doncic will almost certainly struggle given his age and experience.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafts are all about scouting and upside. Even in that Bennett draft, Giannis, Gobert, Steven Adams and CJ McCollum were all drafted in that same year.
so were Giannis and Gobert.

IF the Spurs were drafting #1 --- if Red Auerbach was reincarnated and the love child of him and Pat Riley became the best GM in the history of the game--- they still werent taking Giannis in the top 5. No matter how good you are at fucking scouting - you are not taking Draymond in the top 5 because no one knows.

There is a relative consensus of the top players in every single draft. Of course you want to be the guy that says-- hey- i KNEW Jimmy Butler was going to be better than Ben McLemore---- but anyone that says that is full of shit. Totally 100% full of shit.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You totally called that Shit, got to give you props.

It was a convincing win. So, you deserve to clown all you want.

Just don't go Casper if /when your team gets bounced.

tenor.gif
And these heat clowns tried to talk shit and were 100% wrong. It's hilarious. I didn't have to be their daddy, but here we are.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they have a parade yesterday?
A parade of clueless Heat fans that didn't listen prior to the game and are still too ignorant to accept their fate? Yes it was a full blown circus of you fools.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so were Giannis and Gobert.

IF the Spurs were drafting #1 --- if Red Auerbach was reincarnated and the love child of him and Pat Riley became the best GM in the history of the game--- they still werent taking Giannis in the top 5. No matter how good you are at fucking scouting - you are not taking Draymond in the top 5 because no one knows.

There is a relative consensus of the top players in every single draft. Of course you want to be the guy that says-- hey- i KNEW Jimmy Butler was going to be better than Ben McLemore---- but anyone that says that is full of shit. Totally 100% full of shit.

If you looked at my post objectively, you would see that I'm agreeing with you. You don't need the #1 pick to always come out ahead in the draft. It helps, but it's not a necessity if you scout well and draft well. Even the Sixers took Okafor who turned out to be a poor choice with Porzingas selected right behind him.

But I have no idea why you saw that as an attack on your stand point. Dumbass.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you looked at my post objectively, you would see that I'm agreeing with you. You don't need the #1 pick to always come out ahead in the draft. It helps, but it's not a necessity if you scout well and draft well. Even the Sixers took Okafor who turned out to be a poor choice with Porzingas selected right behind him.

But I have no idea why you saw that as an attack on your stand point. Dumbass.
but its bullshit to a certain extent--- if you really thought Draymond Green was that good- you would have moved heaven and earth to get him instead of waiting till pick 28 or whatever.

If you scouted your ass off and thought Giannis was amazing and you just knew he was going to be an al lstar- youd do whatever it took to get him.

You take flyers on guys and hope it works out--- but no one- not the Warriors or anyone- knew or even suspected Draymond Green would be an all star someday- or there is no way hes there at 28.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Sportsnation, they were discussing a scenario where the 76ers could trade for Kawhi and sign Lebron this Summer.

I couldn't tell you any details because I turned the channel immediately.

That would be ridiculous and frightening.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but its bullshit to a certain extent--- if you really thought Draymond Green was that good- you would have moved heaven and earth to get him instead of waiting till pick 28 or whatever.

If you scouted your ass off and thought Giannis was amazing and you just knew he was going to be an al lstar- youd do whatever it took to get him.

You take flyers on guys and hope it works out--- but no one- not the Warriors or anyone- knew or even suspected Draymond Green would be an all star someday- or there is no way hes there at 28.
Who did the Warriors take in the 1st round?

I refuse to look it up myself.

But, did the have the opportunity to take him earlier?

Did they have several 1st rounders?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just this year, the Celtics didn't love either of the consensus top 2 picks, Fultz or Ball. So what did they do? They moved back and got the guy they wanted in Tatum.

It's only bullshit if you feel that draft is predicated on taking consensus guys. If you're doing that, you're not doing your job as an NBA team evaluating players. There are players that slip through the cracks every year. But it's not a coincidence that the Kings continually take shit players and the Spurs end up with "steals" every draft.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who did the Warriors take in the 1st round?

I refuse to look it up myself.

But, did the have the opportunity to take him earlier?

Did they have several 1st rounders?

Warriors actually had TWO 1st rounders in that draft, and neither of them was Draymond. He was taken in the 2nd round, 36th overall I believe.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just this year, the Celtics didn't love either of the consensus top 2 picks, Fultz or Ball. So what did they do? They moved back and got the guy they wanted in Tatum.

It's only bullshit if you feel that draft is predicated on taking consensus guys. If you're doing that, you're not doing your job as an NBA team evaluating players. There are players that slip through the cracks every year. But it's not a coincidence that the Kings continually take shit players and the Spurs end up with "steals" every draft.

Well the Celtics also had just traded for Kyrie Irving so drafting Ball or Fultz didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My team is the best young team ever. Deal with it.
Ever?

Yeah, I don't know.....

I kinda liked that Washington Bullets team with RashWEED, Webber, Juwan Howard.

They got snuffed in a sweep by the Bulls.

But, come on...Prime Jordan.

Plus, they were competitive for a few of those games.

Does that Amare, Joe Johnson, Nash team count as young too?

This Philly Team < First year Heatles is a given.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors actually had TWO 1st rounders in that draft, and neither of them was Draymond. He was taken in the 2nd round, 36th overall I believe.
Who did you pick?